*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there an updated bios / EC or hotkey software available for this machine?

I've had some really weird fan activity the last couple days. I've been modeling with large data sets in SAS and things were taking a lot longer than expected. The fans were also being super quiet, when normally they're all full tilt. I opened intel XTU (currently undervolted and multiplier is maxed).

My CPU was pegged at 98c and thermal throttling was at 20-40%, with clocks fluctuating between 1.5ghz and 3ghz! I went into the Clevo control center, and fans were set to my custom setting which looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Not sure why they weren't accelerating properly, but they weren't. I changed to the "automatic" setting, and they got a little faster, but still wouldn't accelerate to full after 60-70 seconds. I finally set to max, and temps started dropping.

I reset the machine, and now auto seems to work properly (will accelerate to 100% if the CPU is taxed) but the custom settings still won't set fans high enough to avoid thermal throttling when doing some type of CPU intense activity. I guess that makes custom fine for battery mode (since it won't go above 1.5Ghz on battery anyway...another gripe of mine) but I this is scary when it's plugged in and I'm doing work. I've never seen the type of thermal throttling I witnessed here, and auto wouldn't work until I reset the machine! I'm pretty OCD about this now...manually going to Maximum whenever I'm modeling or playing a game. Never seen a computer so willingly throttle itself instead of increasing fan speeds.

2. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there any option in the control center that automatically switches power mode when on battery vs when on mains? (My current laptop is setup so that on main it's in "high Performance" and on battery it goes on "power saver")

3. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not that I've found with the control center. Might be able to be done with a registry tweak.

4. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Can't you just customise one power plan to rule them all? By that I mean configuring your desired settings for battery and AC power in the same plan, rather than using two different halves of two separate power plans, which is entirely redundant anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5

5. Thrall2004

Thrall2004 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, can anyone help me? I just can't enter the BIOS. I tried a few times push F2 but it doesn't enter? does anybody has a clue?

6. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Theoretically yes however somethings are hard-built into the plan; that plan type MUST be selected for it to take effect. An example of this is on power saver, no matter how you config the "on AC" tab, boost is still disabled

alaskajoel likes this.
  7. Thrall2004

Thrall2004 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well it worked now ;)
    however, I have written a short review, until know it is just in German, I will translate it soon. However, if here are some German / Austrian guys who are interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvuytjcqx0...05PRO.pdf?dl=0

8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    sometimes its not F2 but rather F8 or delete, try those as well

edit: ok, found it urself ;)

9. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Ahhh, I was never aware of this. Thanks for letting me know!

alaskajoel likes this.
  10. Acide

Acide Newbie

Reputations: