*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Folks, my Clevo with the 780M gets into the low 90's. No way can you call load temps in the 70's and low 80's 'really high'. You're just asking for a miracle there. It's a physical impossibility for this form factor on the current architecture and manufacturing process.

I don't see how the 970M running cooler makes it a better option in terms of performance. You'll never be able to overclock it to the stock level of the 980M anyway (without extremely large - and risky - voltage mods at least), let alone an overclocked 980M - even if it has comparatively less headroom to overclock proportionately, so to speak. So... I don't see how that logic works.

All this panic over temps in the 70's is silly in my opinion. GPUs are more than capable of lasting years and years running at those temps. Remember that even desktop reference AMD R9 290's run quite happily in the 90's. Got to put it into perspective. You don't need load temps in the 40's to feel good about your purchase. The lower the better of course, but temps in the 70's and 80's are perfectly safe - else my current Clevo would be nothing but a gloopy pile of molten plastic and metal by now ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5

jaybee83, wickette and Praedaedae like this.
  2. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Whats the max safe temp for the 970m and 980m? If it's in the 90's then thats great. With a heavy OC and re-paste I expect a 10 degree temp difference. (as is the case with the 860m; I have it at +270 on the core and it runs about 10 degrees hotter)

3. bigspin

bigspin My Kind Of Place

Reputations:
    Cake I think you have a bad heatsink or paste job. My P150SM with 780M and 950/5500 OC never hit 90°C. If I run furmark for 15min, it stay around 85°C.
    BTW I agree 70°C is nothing to panic.

4. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Define 'safe'. Truth is that it varies with each individual card. From what I understand, I don't believe that there is a single universal 'safe' value that is applicable to all GPUs. I know LinusTechTips has a great video summing this all up quite nicely;

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...9OHE-L7XeTkjzk6cA&sig2=cCLpnTvrBJgDXAYzE6OfPg

Sent from my Nexus 5

5. bmac1632

bmac1632 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Even if you can overclock the 970m to 980m levels, the heat would be similar, but you will have 1 GB less of vram. Unfortunately the way developers are using vram, I would not buy a gaming laptop with less than 4GB.

6. Thrall2004

Thrall2004 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yyyyyesssssssssssss, my Notebook is shipped today, so hopefully it will be at my place tomorrow or on wednesday. However, I've already started createing a user review for this system (for now in german) but I will translate it as soon as I'm fnished with it.

wickette and flamy like this.
  7. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Well yes, that's a good point too. If your main reason to get the 970M over the 980M is temperature and then you decide to overclock to make up some of the difference that will pretty much serve to only raise the temps to very similar levels anyways.

In conclusion, base your buying decision between 970M vs 980M on performance, not temps - unless you plan to run at stock clocks where the 970M will have an advantage in temperature. Not sure what the everyday benefit of that is - it's not like the chassis heats up that much on these models anyways - we know this from people's experiences posted on these forums.

Sent from my Nexus 5

8. mcswift101

mcswift101 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep. I would say get a 970m if you want great performance, but don't care about having the very best available at the moment. Probably also the route to go if you really care about having a slim gaming notebook.

On an unrelated note, it's 6:30pm and my UPS tracking still says that my laptop will arrive "before the end of the day". Starting to doubt that, considering the package seemingly hasn't even arrived in my country yet :p But either way, I'll have it tomorrow :D

9. flamy

flamy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You play games without sound, eh?

10. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I thought it was established already that 970m is the best bang for the buck as of now. you get performance ballparking 980m while paying a couple hundred less, that basically means for anyone with a tight budget 970m is the no brainer. so what are we even arguing here?