*** Official Clevo P65xSA/SE/SG / Sager NP8650/51/52 Owner´s Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jaybee83, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Xavvy

Xavvy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just a minor update on my situation. Got it unhooked!

IMG_20141206_100227.jpg

Just as you guys said, somehow when I was reapplying the base plate It got hooked behind the inside of the chrome bezel. So taking tfast500's advice I wedged a usb plug into the slot diagonally which gave me enough leverage to lift the bezel. It then snapped back in place! Well.. Now that I was recovering from the heart attack that event gave me, I was relieved to find that its also working as it should. Lesson learned. Always check the perimeter of the laptop's ports when closing the case!

Thanks for the help guys!

2. mcswift101

mcswift101 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got my 1TB Samsung 840 EVO today. It's so sleek and light and just sexy. God do I love SSDs.

tfast500 and jaybee83 like this.
  3. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone else having a problem with USB devices requiring a lot of power over the USB bus? My portable USB displayport monitor will only give me backlight flicker, even with both USB ports plugged in giving it power. My 256GB Flash Drive also won't stay connected when transferring data over it (disconnects). I know these devices work, because they've been flawless on my desktop and my W230SS / Thinkpad Yoga, but not the P650se....

Is there a USB utility / Driver I didn't install somewhere?

4. tfast500

tfast500 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I also received mine its a lot lighter then I had imagined. My vertex 4 is a lot more heavy, however the vertex 4 is 9.5mm

What fw did yours ship with make sure u download the latest and the performance fix for the evo 840

5. Daosw

Daosw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I pulled the trigger and ordered the p651se from mysn (p505)... I've already got my own ssds from black Friday deals, a 512Gb crucial mx100 and a 1Tb Samsung Evo. Which one would you recommend to use for the operating system? Would it matter which one to place closer to the bottom of the laptop?

tfast500 likes this.
  6. tfast500

tfast500 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly it won't matter... U may want to use the evo since it will be faster but honestly you wont notice the difference :) I would put the one you use for the OS to the top assuming it will get better airflow.

rehv likes this.
  7. Praedaedae

Praedaedae Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    This is my first post and I think I owe this to all of you. Over the last two weeks I read all of the Gigabyte P35x and this thread and everything else I could find about those machines. With all your help I decided to order a P505 (P651SG) from MYSN.de .
    I ordered mine on Nov, 27th and I opted for :

FHD IPS Display (turned out to be a AUO B156HAN01.2)
    I7-4710HQ (no option)
    GTX 980m
    4 GB RAM
    no Disks
    WLAN Intel AC 7265 (Killer N1525 AC card not available)
    unbranded

At that time the estimate for 980m was Dec. 3rd . While waiting and getting excited the date changed to 5th and then to 9th. So I could relax..... I thought...... to make it short, it was delivered to me on thursday the 4th !!!!!!!! Sorry I kept you waiting ;)
    I really was surprised and hurried up to buy the rest of the internals :

1TB Crucial M550
    2TB Samsung Spinpoint M9T, SATA 6Gb/s 9.5mm (which is Seagate now)
    32GB G.Skill RipJaws SO-DIMM Kit DDR3L-1600, CL9-9-9-28

Thursday night a Win8-experienced friend came over and we installed all the hard- and software and made some clonezilla-images. Everything went smooth (with some help of HTWingNut's review-thread - Thanks !!) and we were finished early in the morning. I mounted the SSD facing the cooling vent.

My first impressions :
    - solid construction, good build quality (no crackling or squeaking noise, little flex)
    - very minor keyboard-flex
    - no annoying noise from the fans, very quiet at idle, only wind-noise at full-speed
    - good display, just a little backlight-bleeding at the lower edges (only visible on black)
    - a bit more heavy than expected : 2780gr or 6lb - 2oz with the current configuration
    - i really like the touchpad with the seperate buttons
    - the PSU is HUGE (180W), for traveling I need to find a smaller one if possible

I have not repasted yet since I wanted to make some tests before. Undervolting is also planned, but later. In the meantime I have installed a lot of my personal stuff and everything is working so far.
    I had some problems with WIFI-disconnect/no internet. Switched my router from n+g+b to b+g and now it is stable. But I have to confirm this....
    I use it on my lap when on the couch. Sometimes the intake vents are blocked but CPU and GPU temps are between 40 and 60C with light usage and the bottom is just a bit warm, not annoying.
    I can't provide any game-benchmarks for now since I don't have any up-to-date games yet and FarCry4 is still downloading. Will also try some Star Citizen later.
    The following tests have been done using HWinfo/GPU-Z without notebook-cooler, flat on the desk, 20°C, no OC/UV :

3dMark11, Standard, no scaling :
    3dMark11_1.jpg

3dMark11 Temps
    3dMark11_temps.jpg

3dMarkBasic, Standard :
    3dMarkBasic.jpg

prime95 Temp (4 min. run)
    prime95_temps.jpg

prime95 XTU, looks like throttling due to max TDP
    prime95_XTU.jpg

AS-SSD-Bench
    as-ssd-bench Crucial_CT1024M5 06.12.2014 22-02-08.png

I'm really happy with this machine. If I could wish for something, then I would like it a pound lighter, everything else is perfect. But I can live with the weight.
    BIG thanks to MYSN.de for letting me be among the first...
    Now go ahead if you have questions...
    Thanks to all of you, Praedaedae

FarCry4 results --> http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-clevo-p65xsa-se-sg-sager-np8650-51-52-owner´s-lounge.763159/page-211#post-9856753

more FarCry4 results --> http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-clevo-p65xsa-se-sg-sager-np8650-51-52-owner´s-lounge.763159/page-215#post-9857417

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  8. Daosw

Daosw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would Crucial's power loss protection make it a better candidate for the OS? Also according to this it appears the Crucial would be faster with application startup, while evo would offer better gaming performance, though not sure how reliable is their info.

9. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Very nice Praedaedae, you seem to be the first to have the SG.
    Congrats and enjoy your new laptop :thumbsup:
    When ready can you post some temps during gaming? Would be great to see how it performs .

10. Sebi97

Sebi97 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Question about temps and fan speed:
    Right now, it seems like my fan speed is based only on CPU temps. This is a problem because I undervolted my CPU and it runs very cool. However, because of this the fans run REALLY slow and the GPU ends up getting stupidly hot. Since this laptop has 2 separate cooling systems, does it have 2 different temp fan trip settings? Or a common trip (Eg. Set to 65 degrees; will spin up fans when EITHER cpu or gpu hit that temp). As of now, it looks like GPU temps are completely ignored