*** Official Clevo P65xRS(-G), P65xRP6(-G) / Sager NP8153(-S), NP8152(-S) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HardCore88, Aug 18, 2016.

1. bk109

bk109 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Those are definitely high (for idle/low load temps) - my P650HS-G tends to do high 30s (38-39*C) doing casual browsing in Chrome, with the discrete GPU on (as opposed to using Optimus) and no undervolting, with a paste job that's ~14 months old at this point. With the "known good" -140mV undervolt idle/low load temps dip to mid 30s with an ambient temp of ~25*C

@Meaker@Sager
    A bit of a weird question - but has anyone complained about screen artefacting/flickering with Optimus enabled with newer Intel drivers than 25.20.100.6373 (from December '18) and the 60Hz LG046F IPS panel?

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not that I've heard of.

3. bk109

bk109 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Delightful - it'd appear that I've stumbled upon an yet another "Uhh, this shouldn't be possible" situation XD At least this time around it's not in a HPC cluster at work requiring a 2 week long audit and debugging cycle, nor a certain popular open source data sync solution deciding to corrupt/delete files at random, because I've deleted a file with the same name once upon a time :D ...Plus I've got spare parts (and it's a minor enough issue that one can easily live with to not even bother trying more drastic solutions).
    By the way, the weird part is that the issue is only really present in Windows (regardless of version or install state) and I'm yet to experience it in Linux, which would suggest that it's not from the hardware side of things

4. To2Kool2

To2Kool2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Finally worked out what I think is the culprit of my app crashes and weirdness over the past year. Thought it was the ram but everytime I've memtested it it looked fine. Ran "video memory stress test" and I get errors in a couple of mins.

Hoping someone can run this app and test there gpu for 5mins for confirmation?

My laptop is the P670RS-G

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Windows does use more hardware acceleration that will be using the system ram. Is the ram stock?

6. bk109

bk109 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nope, the stock RAM's long gone at this point (because of an oversight I ordered my bugger with 12 gigs o' 2133), but I've done memtest and I swapped in another "known good" set just in case and this behaviour persists, lol. At this point I've assumed that either "I'm just lucky and I got a minor failure that doesn't actually affect usage in the slightest" or that an UEFI upgrade package (to 1.05.11TS1) I did awhile back is the culprit and I only just noticed the change after deciding to swap a drive and do a clean install :D

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Maybe, does sound very odd.

8. ohanesburger

ohanesburger Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I did the undervolting around -150mV already like a year ago. I suspected the thermal pads caused the issue and I replaced the blue ones with thinner ones (0.5mm gelid ultimate). Now idles are still around 40-45 for CPU and 50 for GPU but the max load reduced greatly like max 75-78 for both GPU and CPU. Something is really strange with them but I have no time to investigate further at the moment. I have doubts that the thinner pads are touching the GPU memories well but so far it worked well under loads. I guess i need to repace all thermal pads with original ones thickness or should replace the whole cooling unit.

9. metacarpus

metacarpus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can stack the thermal pads to get the required thickness. Which reminds me, I need to order some Gelid Ultimate soon....

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    As above, you can stack if needed.