*** Official Clevo P65xRS(-G), P65xRP6(-G) / Sager NP8153(-S), NP8152(-S) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HardCore88, Aug 18, 2016.

1. MrGone

MrGone Newbie

Reputations:
    I have not tried Downclocking the GPU, Can do that through MSI? the other steps have been followed yes.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nvidia inspector if MSI afterburner wont let you.

Could be either the display output power rail on the card having issues or the card cant cope with the in rush current from being clocked up fully reliably.

3. MrGone

MrGone Newbie

Reputations:
    Got yeah, I lowered the core clock by about 300 mhz, not sure is that's to much or not enough i will test it out and see. Thanks for the info!

4. MrGone

MrGone Newbie

Reputations:
    So i lowered the core clock by 400 mhz, and that did seem to help i booted the game in question 3-4 times with no issues, however this evening it seems to be back up to its old tricks. I feel like you are on to something for sure though. can the Nvidia inspector lower the clock even more?

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not without a vbios flash. You could remove the heatsink and just visually inspect the power circuitry near the GPU. Make sure it all looks clean and healthy along with making good contact.

6. alexwise

alexwise Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

What's is the latest Control Center version? The one I've got is 5.0001.1.74 and it has not been update in a year or so

7. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You could download CC from another source, BUT from my experience, they don`t always fit well with your current laptop. Newer is not always better. Several of the new version does not download CPU at idle so instead of getting 800MHz at very low loads and idle in entertainment-mode I get 1600MHz which turns into more heat, noise and shorter batterylife. Using the stock-version works best on my setup even if it`s quite old now.

8. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With the new afterburner came even more options for extreme tweaking! It is now possible to set voltage to 700mv instead of 800mv earlier. Ran some tests and the highest speed I can run the 1070@700mv is 1500MHz.

Stats from testing in Unigine heaven extreme, the temps are the maximum temps during load and wattage is average measured from socket with powermeter:
    700mv 1500MHz 56C 93W 61.6fps CPU 58C
    800mv 1750MHz 66C 131W 90.6fps CPU 62C
    850mv 1800MHz 70C 135W 94,6fps CPU 65C
    At stock settings with no undervolt after some reruns to stabilize clocks\temp:
    820-925mv 1500-1709MHz 75C 154W 97,8fps CPU 70C. First run 106fps.

In real games:
    Divinity 2 DE at max settings and 57fps limit+g-sync:
    700mv 1500MHz 53C 82W a few framdrops no and then below 57 fps.
    800mv 1750MHz 62C 106W very rare framedrops below 57 fps.
    850mv 1800MHz 69C 108W stable fps, only ram-stuttering a few times.
    At stock settings with no undervolt after running game for 30 mins:
    800-960mv 1520-1730MHz 75C 135W.

If GPU-temp reaches 70C or higher, clocks will start to throttle down and performance drops after a few minutes. It seems peak performance is achieved at 1800MHz@850mv, going higher on clocks is unstable, higher on voltage gives thermal throttle. Setting voltage at 700 or 800 means that GPU-fans will not reach the default high noise-level but stay slightly below. When temp gets around 65C on GPU then the highest noise is achieved on auto (can override with using max fans manually).

It is interesting to see that undervolting\underclocking 1070 from stock to 1500MHz@700mv reduces overall consumption of chip from 115W to about 54W. Performance is 63%@47% energyconsumption which basically turns the 1070 into a 1060max-q in performance at a lower powerconsumption. Undervolting to 1750MHz@800mv is about equal to a 1070max-q in both performance and consumption.

9. dingausmwald

dingausmwald Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my p650rp6-g back. Can you guys tell me what are the latest bioses, tweaks and stuff? Is there a prema bios anywhere? Had to buy my clevo from a german reseller. No prema partner. Such a pity...
    Whats about baked? Still running 1.05.09 bios. Vbios is 86.06.18.00.03. My Geforce 1060 throttles at 70 degrees. Just cleaned and repasted. Still hitting the 70 slightly with a coolingpad. Somebody tried MobilePascalTDPTweaker?
    https://github.com/LaneLyng/MobilePascalTDPTweaker/releases/tag/1.1.3.0

does undervolting bring any improvement?

In addition, my keyboard colors got weird. Looks to me that blue leds are broken. Anybody had problems with that? Is it software or hardware related?

I appreciate any tips

10. Andrew Soul

Andrew Soul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a 650RS (1070).
    Was not able to find Prema BIOS.
    If your system works OK there is no need to update BIOS.
    For MobilePascalTDPTweaker you need to have a hardware programmer and some skills (they I don't have) - please let us know if you will have any luck with it.
    Under-volting definitely brings improvements.
    The biggest issue of the laptops is Power Throttling - under-volting helps a little bit with it.
    Are you sure that you are having Thermal Throttling and not Power Throttling?

I don't like keyboard back-lighting so I completely disabled mine (but it works OK if I enable it).