*** Official Clevo P65xRS(-G), P65xRP6(-G) / Sager NP8153(-S), NP8152(-S) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HardCore88, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, I forgot to mention, the new board that was put in is a 6820hk+1060 board. Whereas my previous board was a 6700HQ.

I've done some more testing and the only thing I can think of is that Nvidia screwed up some VM detection code in the driver when interacting with the 6820HK. AFAIK very few 6820HKs made it into peoples hands.
    The issues are extremely similar to what happens when the Nvidia driver detects that it's running in a VM (Code43, GPU is stuck in D3 power mode).

On Monday I'll be able to test the theory, by actually setting up a Linux VM, pass the GPU through and pass through the flags which specifically avoid triggering the Nvidia VM detection code.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Usually the rest can be done from the base set from your reseller.

3. Andrew Soul

Andrew Soul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had similar issue several months ago.
    You can find my posts here.
    I am not sure that you have the same issue but mine had similar symptoms.

I had to RMA it.
    It was a simple fix.
    Something was was wrong with Power Delivery Chip.

4. Alex81

Alex81 Newbie

Reputations:
    HI

seems that i've similar issue or symptoms but without any visible error.
    I ask if someone have something like this

i7 6700 and 1060 gtx

i use a crucial mx300 m.2 and,, from about two months, the system does three things:

- the system boot at black screen and i need to force the reboot
    - the system reboots several times before reach the logon screen (fixed, cave and beach)
    - the system reach immediatly the login screen (presentation image) , i login on it and after 20 seconds reboot automatically, without error, at logon screen (with fixed image of windows with cave and beach - this https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/windows/configuration/images/lockscreen.png)

it's difficult to explain this, but the only thing that i see in these days of various tests, is that all of this problems happened with the power supply connected.

it i boot the pc without power supply the pc hans't any problem and boot at the right login screen, and doesn't reboot also after it
    if i boot without power supply connected and after the login i connect immediatly the power supply , the system reboot.
    If i boot without power supply connected and i connect it ater some minutes (after all the process starts), i haven't any problem.

my vendor tolds me that the problem is problably the ssd m.2, but i think there is something else

i don't understand if it's a video card power problem
    if it's a m.2 MB slot problem, maybe with power
    or it's only a m.2 ssd problem

the only thing i can tell is that i've this pc from the march 2016 and with normal ssd i haven't any tipe of problem.
    I can install windows on a normal SSD to check if the problem persist, if not it's not a video card problem , but i can't undesrtand if it's a m.2 problem or a motherboard problem.

sorry for the WOT.

someone have same experience?

5. Andrew Soul

Andrew Soul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My issue started like this.
    Then it got worse.
    Eventually I had to RMA it to fix it.

You can try to avoid the issue by disabling your Dedicated GPU (1070 or 1060 in Device Manager).
    This way you will be able to use your laptop without reboots - but you will not be able to use your dedicated GPU :).

My advice - RMA it as fast as possible.
    If you are out of warranty or do not want to do it - find local repair shop - tell them the symptoms and pray that they are good in fixing things.
    In my case the issue was with Power Delivery Chip.

In my RMA it was: IC chip U23 (onboard IC chip)

6. Alex81

Alex81 Newbie

Reputations:
    oh good to know :D

i'm in warranty atm but near to the end.
    i need to convince the reseller that is not the ssd.

thank for the info anyway :)

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    If uninstalling the graphics driver has an impact then it's the GPU.

8. firepower9966

firepower9966 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for info about U23 chip fault causing reboot issues and GPU.
    Here is service manual for P650RS.

http://s472165864.onlinehome.fr/anyware/manuels/P65xRS_ESM.pdf

PU23 is for DDR4 1.2V page B-62 of the manual.

I still trying to fix my issue with nvidia GPU crashing when AC charger is used. Think I check PU25 smart battery charger on page B-66.

My laptop out of warranty :( so can't RMA it. Need to fix it myself. If I can't it now a very expensive netbook.

Thanks again for info assumed it was GPU fault , so will look into repair it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  9. marche

marche Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I wonder if I can add the LTE modem to my 8153? I reached out to Sager they said their boards do not have capability to add LTE (?), but I checked the SIM card slot and there is a slot soldered to the motherboard. I can buy the LTE M.2 Modem from aliexpress as well as the antenna (I was able to track down the part number). Do you think it would work?

Attached Files:

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You can try but the official answer is always no on this since it wont have been shipped from clevo with the option so we have no idea what is on the board or not.