*** Official Clevo P65xRS(-G), P65xRP6(-G) / Sager NP8153(-S), NP8152(-S) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HardCore88, Aug 18, 2016.

1. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Notebook Groundsloth

Reputations:
    Um, I have the 4K display. Witcher 3 on Ultra settings runs beautifully at 4K. At least to my eyes. The hardware holds up very well.

2. Xileforce

Xileforce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not exactly. Vsync syncs monitor refresh and fps. Gsync dynamically adjusts the refresh rate of the monitor to match the fps. If you drop below 60fps on a 60hz display using vsync, it will lock fps to 30. Gsync doesn't do this so it actually makes games feel smoother if you experience fps dips. It also doesn't cap the fps. You can tell gsync is working when you get really low frame rates like 20 and you can actually start to notice the screen flashing slightly because it's also running at 20hz. Hopefully this clarifies it a bit. I left some stuff out but it's a general explanation.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

3. paulrenzo

paulrenzo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does it run at 30fps at least? I'm looking at youtube videos for other games; Battlefield 1 for instance, is running at around 23-25 fps at 4K (highest settings).

4. J3RRIS

J3RRIS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This video explains G-Sync, V-Sync and Fast Sync

5. zidion

zidion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    close enough lol

Xileforce likes this.
  6. FredSRichardson

Reputations:
    Most of the time I get 60FPS with occasional drop downs to 30FPS. This is according to MSI afterburner. I actually never notice the drops to 30, maybe that is when I have the game paused and a menu open or something? The game is surprisingly smooth (and I have to say stunning looking at 4K).

SirSaltsAlot likes this.
  7. FredSRichardson

Reputations:
    The reason ICD is preferred is that it has a higher viscosity. The laptop differs from typical desktop applications because it requires some work to get the heat sink perfectly flat against the cpu and gpu dies. This is confounded by the small space to work in and the fact that both heat sinks are connected together via a heat pipe. When the heat sink is no perfectly flat against the die you are more likely to have "pump out" (i.e. paste all over the inside of your machine and high temps). From what I've read, ICD is less likely to pump out than other less viscous TIMs.

I believe HIDevolution uses CLLU because it is a more viscous liquid metal paste, but that is just conjecture on my part. I don't know if it would be harder to get a good outcome using Conductonaut (or naut heh).

Papusan likes this.
  8. bradleyjb

bradleyjb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So initial impressions on the P650RS - It's huge! I'm not sure where or how they measure the .4 inch difference in height compared to the Razer, but it's really about twice as thick overall. Fortunately does seem to only weigh a 1.5 lbs more. I'll have to see how easy it is to pull in and out of a laptop bag on a regular basis since I move around at work quite a bit.

Screen looks good. Could be a little brighter, but colors are fine. Ive read of some people having a yellowish tint, but I dont see that at all (I did get the calibration). Minimal backlight issues, though this doesnt bother me really.

Keyboard will take some getting used to. Not sure why, but I kept mistyping (and I don't type super fast).

I was sitting in a really hot room (80-85 degrees) and my first Firestrike run hit 91 on the CPU without max fans. With max fans, Firestrike and Firestrike Ultra hit around 75 on CPU, and 69 on GPU. I will have to rerun at normal room temps, but seems like if I am keeping it no repaste needed yet.

Games run great. With 4K, no need for AA really. I also dont play a lot of FPS, so I dont need it to be 120Hz (have DTR and Desktop for that). Rise of the Tomb raider benched at 44 on high preset. NBA 2K17 runs flat out at 60 with Vsync and gsync on. Will try a few others this weekend after I get everything else set up, including Doom and Gears of War 4. And Starcrafft if I can ever find the time to finish it :)

Too soon to say about the verdict though. I really like the screen and the 1070. Not sold yet on the form factor. BTW, build quality is pretty good. Lid is surprisingly a little wobbly - not the hinges, but the lid itself. Not used to that coming from Alienware, then the P870DM3 and the Razer. I'm guessing this is the thinnest and lightest 1070 out there. Please let me know if I'm wrong ... I suppose I could also consider the MSI GS43VR or GS63VR but then I lose the 1070 and the CPU ... or go back to Razer.

9. Wonkyfinger

Wonkyfinger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gigabyte has a thinner and lighter 1070, but its hotter and louder. Build quality is a little spotty too.

10. byunjoe

byunjoe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I believe that the thinnest and lightest GTX 1070 equipped laptop is an Aorus X5 v6