*** Official Clevo P65xRS(-G), P65xRP6(-G) / Sager NP8153(-S), NP8152(-S) Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HardCore88, Aug 18, 2016.

1. theroot

theroot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To clarify in my test I had both the CPU and GPU maxed out at 100% and I saw it climb over 160w once for a brief moment (I believe the cpu started to downclock as the temps climbed in the 80s).There's no real world usage I could do to reach this scenario. I spawned 8 parallel compile jobs and ran a graphics benchmark at the same time to achieve this. In my gaming testing (tried a few heavy FPS's) with cpu and gpu set on max performance/clock profiles I usually was sitting around 130-150w. Normal usage doing web browsing, video playback, file editing, simple compiling, vnc, etc, I was usually around 30-90w. I intend to to do more testing to confirm all this, was just some quick tests I threw together the day after I got it, but 165w would be sufficient IMO. Especially since I just want a portable power brick that I can take to work/meetings/etc. I would keep the larger one for my home for sure.

The 751 you're looking at does have a 6700k vs my hq, so you have a +45w TDP there. Then whatever the 1070 draws in addition to that (I'm not sure), and then your screen/other differences. So you're definitely closer to the 230w max there, then I am to my 200w. However, TBH, you don't really need to over size your laptop AC power supplies that much more then what is needed @ max draw. It'll drop in efficiency (ac->dc) typically the higher you go it's max, and over a long period of time (depending on several variables) it MAY have a slight decreased max output (more likely it would just fail before it's measurable), but that's about it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Where are you measuring consumption? PSUs are rated after losses.

3. theroot

Reputations:
    Using a Kill-A-Watt meter on the AC side of the power supply. Yeah it is before the efficiency loss factor too, so 165w draw from the wall is probably a lot less (assuming its 80-90% efficient) going into the laptop.

SharpHawk likes this.
  4. few35t

few35t Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I scrolled through pretty much this entire thing and saw your post on the BIOS flash, haven't done it yet but don't think I should have any problems. I didn't find anything comprehensive really on the EC flash though (where to download it, how to flash, etc.).

The GPU idles at 50 deg C and it runs at the base clock (1443 MHz) constantly! My fans are driving me absolutely insane. I played Black Mesa for like an hour and temps neared the 90s even though usage was only around 15% and I was running at 75fps. I using the custom profile in CCC but still. If I can't get this under control it's going back.

I believe the 1.05.02 bios flash is the right one for the P670RS (17.3", 1080p, 1070, 6700hq). I'll rarely use an external monitor but I figured I should do both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for not seeing this in here.

5. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Just posted a gaming laptop guide on the what notebook should I buy subforum. It's certainly hard to be objective about it when its so good :p

Not sure why your gpu is that high temp wise nongaming.

6. baytotheapple

baytotheapple Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you tried max fans and elevating the notebook so the bottom air intakes have an easier time? 90c is hot. Might need to repaste. 1070s seem to be running hot on the P650s but should be a tiny bit cooler on the P670. Don't think anyone else has gotten temps like that. Would def send it back if nothing improves.

7. hotstocks

hotstocks Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've got a 6800HQ and 1070 with 1080p panel. My kilowat was reading about 186w-200w under heavy stress and the power brick gets quite hot. Now the brick is rated at 230w, so even 200w is under 230w, but still very close and you can use GPUZ to watch it throttle due to not enough power. My guess is that psu can not put out over 200w, and even if it could you would fry it fairly soon due to running it that close to max, no fan and all that heat. I usually build PCs and target about 50-75% of max. So when I build a PC that uses 600W, I will use a 850-1000W PSU, NOT a 630W psu, that is just asking for trouble or throttling.

8. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    GPU-Z power throttling is related to the VBIOS, not the PSU. Not just that, but the PSU is rated for 230W actual load, and 200W from the wall at around 85% efficiency is going to be closer to 170W. With any stock EC, you're never going to run into danger using the prescribed PA.

9. theroot

Reputations:
    I do that too for my PC's, only because of efficiency reasons. I target about 50% my normal usage on a PC, not while gaming/etc (i don't use cpu/gpu scaling really on my desktops), because MOST PSU's have a bell curve with 50-60% typically being when it's most efficient at converting (again depending on different variables). But that's because they're on and in use 24/7 for many years. Same reason why I get the most efficient PSU I can buy. 600w->630w is about a 5% over allotment, that's usually within the tolerance spec for the electronics so probably not advised, you'd probably want to stick to at least 10% out. That being said I've built a lot of budget pc's for large scale deployment that use close to 90% the max psu rating, no problem. It's just not the most efficient choice.

Maybe later this weekend I'll build an inline DC meter to test the actual draw and efficiency of the stock power brick. Depends how bored I am lol.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    SharpHawk and hotstocks like this.
  10. Jeroen-B

Jeroen-B Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hmm aright. I personally dont use the Intel rapid storage technology drivers but IL try to reinstall the Intel chip set drivers and see if that helps. I've found your post you mentioned.Completely missed it :eek:.

Edit: Just updated my intel chipset drivers to version 10.1.1.32 tho nothing changed :(

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016