*** Official Clevo P65xHS(-G), P65xHPx(-G) / Sager NP8155, NP8156, NP8157 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by k0nane, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Cryptoxic

Cryptoxic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just curious, if I had a Sager version of the P650 and my VRM kept exploding, what would you guys do? I've already had to change the motherboard 3 times in the past 2 weeks due to the vrm along with changing the power brick.

2. dragon57

dragon57 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would put my laptop on a good UPS to make sure line spikes weren't killing it.

3. Cryptoxic

Cryptoxic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've already ruled out the possibility of power surges as I used the same power brick on the loan P950HP6 and did the exact same thing that I was doing on my P650HP6 and everything worked as usual. It's definitely not the power brick. Still puzzled as to why this is happening.

4. polluxo

polluxo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm wondering if I can upgrade the CPU/GPU on the 8156?

5. bk109

bk109 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, not really. Both the CPU and GPU are soldered on, so your only real shot at upgrading is to find the appropriate motherboard SKU, but I'm not sure if the bump to 7700/78x0HK+1070 is really worth the price.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not over getting a new machine usually.

7. cgilley

cgilley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I'm back. After cleaning and re-applying IC Diamond some months ago, I saw some improved cooling. I still have this issue of a runaway driver thread that belongs to windows, but things seemed to be better. However, I've allowed myself some gaming time, and hit a couple of thermal shutdowns. Currently, it's 22C in the house and my cpu is at 9% usage, pretty close to idle.

Idle temps (cpu/gpu): 41C/37C they don't go much below this with fans on max.
    60% cpu: 98C/70C

Now I know these are way too high. I am using Obsidian PC Fan Control, so I'm pretty confident in the temperatures reported. Even so, I downloaded a few other monitors and they report the same thing. I'm going to fire off an email to support for ideas. The fan grills are clean, the fans are running, etc. How could the thermal paste fail like this?

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Take the heatsink off and take pictures and share the images.

9. bk109

bk109 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, those temperatures are not just high, they're insane... hell, currently the ambient temp here is ~24 and the CPU is at ~33C doing normal background tasks and light web browsing (streaming audio and video around the house) with the fan basically off. On my end I'm going with Hybrid graphics (so the dGPU isn't even on at the moment) and a -120mV undervolt to go with a Thermal Grizzly re-paste that's approaching the 9 month mark, so I'd guess that something is horribly wrong with either the pasting (which is good, 'cause you can recover from it on your own) or with the cooling system itself (which is double-plus-not-good, 'cause that'd need a heatsink/heatpipe replace). If I were to bet, I'd go with the former, as the IC Diamond has always felt a bit too viscous to spread well using the normal line and heatsink pressure route (at least on laptops), so I'd suggest you try the MX4 or similar just to see if there's marked improvement.
    Might as well, 'cause this way we can see both the smear pattern (heh!) and the amount of used paste itself, 'cause both can be an issue. What I'd want to see if there's an uneven wear on the screws themselves, 'cause that may explain why the GPU's temps are great and why the CPU's running so hot

10. cgilley

cgilley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, support told me to back off the clock rate - 3.5GHz to 80% of that and it helped, but I know that's just a band-aid. I'm in the middle of some serious work, so I'll get to it later. Seems to me that if you design a laptop to run at 3.5GHz, the cooling system should handle it. 99C should be indicative of a broken fan or plugged heatsinks. I'll be back :)