*** Official Clevo P65xHS(-G), P65xHPx(-G) / Sager NP8155, NP8156, NP8157 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by k0nane, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Usually you would find the power phase near it and probe the inductor, likely the one towards the fan in this case.

The other option is to put a small heatsink on it or a pad shim pad sandwich to the case.

2. vorken

vorken Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, is there a way to set up 2 SSD on SATA to use them as a storage in a NON-RAID mode?

3. bk109

bk109 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not only you can, but that's basically the default setup for multiple drives regardless if you're using the m2 slots or 2.5'' ones - each drive is on its own and you use as is (with the added benefit of potentially going for a software RAID from inside your OS down the line). Hell, even if your vendor is one from those rare birds that actually sell the machine as RAID-ready (so with Intel's RAID solution enabled by default) you can add in extra drives and use them as standalones outside of an array.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Raid mode is a little slower but simply allows the system to combine drives, as above you don't have to have any raid sets technically.

5. bk109

bk109 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Eh, "A Little Slower" is a bit misleading ;) After all, while, yes, it is in fact slower than the individual drives' speeds, depending on the array, you'll be getting a combined speed of way faster than a SATA drive... That said, for most people, you get the same benefit from within windows via software RAID (ie disk stripping). Honestly, I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend Intel's RAID solution for most people (as it can bork one's install), but for edge cases where you use several different OS', it's a godsend as it's platform/OS agnostic :)

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It's slower as in slower to boot as it has to initialise the raid controller.

7. bk109

bk109 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah, sorry for my mistake, I assumed (in the array vs JBOD context) that it was device speed and not, well... Intel RAID controller-induced lag (though, tbh, I haven't really noticed it on my machine). I stand duly corrected :)

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    There is a small delay caused by raid which you can see in pc perspectives articles so a single drive capable of saturating the bus is technically faster but at that point it is impossible to notice.

bk109 likes this.
  9. jinwk00

jinwk00 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do I have to purchase FanControl?

10. bk109

bk109 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    He did write that you don't have to buy it, so... Let's call that a "Probably not" :)