*** Official Clevo P650RG, P650RE3, P650RE6/Sager NP8658 and NP8657 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by moviemarketing, Oct 10, 2015.

1. bisklimpkit

bisklimpkit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey all; I've had my machine for a couple of weeks now. I notice that while the computer is idle, the fans will spin up, slow down, spin up, slow down, spin up and then shut off (about 1 second total time). This will repeat approximately every 20 seconds for a few minutes, then the fans will stay off for a while. The cycle will then repeat at another random time. Temps are sitting around 90°F while this occurs, ambient room temp is about 70°F. Any thoughts?

2. taetertot

taetertot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I do need one right now, I was just debating whether it makes sense to go high end. The new gpus have been announced (edit, "leaked" by an anonymous source), 970mx and 980mx, or something like that. Much less of a leap than on desktop side, possibly because Nvidia chose to use the new headroom for thermals rather than power. The debut of new architecture, i think, might be worth waiting a bit for. Past the debut, when we're getting into +10% performance, sure, no need to wait at that point.

Anyway I picked up the G751JT as a placeholder for now. 970m, 4820hq, 16gb ram, 1080p IPS g sync, 1tb hdd (yes, mechanical...) for $1169. Seemed like a stellar deal (I was about to pay about the same for a Dell with a 960m and of course no g sync), even though it's stupidly huge, and you wonder how a firm like Asus could decide to put the game record button where the ESC key usually is, and the ROG Game Center Launcher(TM) where the NUMLOCK key usually is. How does that happen? How many millions into R&D for that rig and no one said that's a bad idea? Just talking out loud again.

3. 94sportsedan

94sportsedan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mine has 6 little dots on the left side and what looks like two on the right side.

4. antonigaming

antonigaming Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ohh. So the spacebar doesn't really have full light underneath

5. bisklimpkit

bisklimpkit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine has the same setup. 6 on left and two on the right.

6. 94sportsedan

Reputations:
    well you know, tiny leds are sooo expensive :)

7. Nintendam

Nintendam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone else's GPU fan not do its job on "Fan speed automatic"? (p650rg)

While playing games I need to blast fn+1 "Fan speed maximum" ALWAYS to get comfortable temps (and loud fans, but stable around 60-65'c)

On "Fan speed automatic" my GPU temps shoot way up to high 80's low 90'on s (While my CPU stays relatively OK, as the cpus fans seem to be doing their automatic job....)

-I've also noticed my external monitor flashes/flickers the whole monitor black for a split second, maybe once or twice a day... Something I notice even more is a horizontal pixel-sized line the width of the monitor flicker...this happens more than the whole screen flashing.

I just sent my machine in for an RMA for 2 dead pixels, definitely don't want to do that again... could it be the GPU? GPU Fan? Monitor? Cable?

Thanks!

8. 94sportsedan

Reputations:
    I've had my P650RG since Feb and have never seen my gpu hit those temps playing with maxxed settings @1080p with fans set on auto.. I also use a laptop cooler. Maybe your gpu heatsink is loose or making poor contact.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would advise the shop you are also seeing high temperatures so they can check it out.

10. Nintendam

Nintendam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

advised shop, said it was normal for this model and GPU to reach those temps... not convinced, I believe its a EC firmware problem.

Uploaded an image show the GPU fan RPM's when on fn+1 "Automatic fan speed"

thoughts? suggestions? I just know somethings not right here.....