*** Official Clevo P650RG, P650RE3, P650RE6/Sager NP8658 and NP8657 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by moviemarketing, Oct 10, 2015.

1. EasyJoe

EasyJoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    At what frequency are you running the CPU ? stock or lower ? Probably the undervolting has limited the turbo capacity of the chip but for gaming there should be plenty of power left anyways.

2. SirSaltsAlot

SirSaltsAlot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is the cooling solution for the rg the same as the re with just a different bottom plate? Or are the fans and heat sinks deeper too for better cooling?

3. 94sportsedan

94sportsedan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I haven't touched the clock speeds at all. I doubt there is much of any use for turbo during gaming. I have hyperthreadimg disabled too for even furthur cooling and have zero hiccups running full on graphics at 1080p. I strictly game.

4. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I believe the cooling is a little bit thicker, and that is why the model with 980m has the thicker bottom panel to accomodate.

SirSaltsAlot likes this.
  5. EasyJoe

EasyJoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Given that you are running with lower voltage, by keeping the stock clock you're effectively overclocking it, though not by much. In any case, 4 cores are more than enough for any kind of game at least up until now

6. Nojohns

Nojohns Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wait undervolting limits turbo speed? If it does that suuucks.

7. EasyJoe

EasyJoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What turbo does is push the clock up for a time, as long as there is thermal capacity (lower heat -> more turbo) but you just can't push the clock to infinite, to keep the system stable it needs more energy, but being undervolted you've artificially limit the amount of power turbo can use (compared with stock). That's the same principle of overclocking, you can't put the processor to extreme clock speeds with stock voltages.
    Technically you'll have turbo, just an slower one XD

Probably the best way to have both things (good turbo + low heat) would be to lower the multiplier, leaving the same voltage, that way the *normal* CPU clock will be lower (lower heat) but when needed you'll also have more thermal capacity (stronger turbo). In this case, you are just letting the processor use the amount of voltage it needs on it's own (that's the way SpeedStep works anyway unless you disable it)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2016
  8. Nintendam

Nintendam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    darn, noticed a dead/stuck pixels (red) and then noticed another. so theres 2 total, tried to run www.jscreenfix.com but no avail.

any other options?

EDIT:
    response from LPC:

Sorry for this issue.

We sent this into the factory tech. They are gone for the day. We should know more tomorrow on this.
    --------------------

EDIT2:
    are these idle temps on startup OK? they seem high...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Indeed as above the 6700hq can be under volted no issue.

10. 94sportsedan

94sportsedan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I love the cooling system on this P650RG. The 980M running Crysis 3 Ultra 1080P temps are 157F running stock fan speed and turning it on full speed drops it to 144F. 6700HQ lumbering along at 131F while maintaining 43-53FPS. Very impressed with this hardware!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016