*** Official Clevo P640RE/Sager NP8640 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NordicRaven, Sep 15, 2015.

1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    right, so then taiphoons and tsunamis are better / preferred, destroying people's lifes and existences? cmon dude, its about naming the machine here, not about taking drugs :D taking your cue i would have to smack everyone around here using any kind of metaphores, that aint gonna work ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TomJGX and Kaozm like this.
  2. Kaozm

Kaozm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Prema called it first, Prema gave pictures of sides and exhaust, PREMA no just kidding. But yeah he called it first lol :p

@Prema Could you please upload those pictures on this thread too? Woul have been nice to have them here, and I can't open the pictures to see them full screen :rolleyes:o_O

s19 likes this.
  3. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone looking for more pics/info, Metabox have (one) up that I can see:
    http://metabox.com.au/store/gaming-laptops

Site is somewhat broken atm (suspect I've caught them half-way through renovating their store page), but looks great! Very batman-like.

Hyperbook seem to have updated their original listing with pics as well (more).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Nice. But I'm not too fond of the lid either, prefer standard flat lid.

Curious about the "Microsoft Hybrid Graphics" from that multicom description:
    Microsoft Hybrid Graphics - saves battery
    video card automatically switches between the Intel HD Graphics and GeForce GTX 970m needed. The advantage is reduced power consumption extends battery life and reduced heat and less noise.

Does that require Windows 10? Will this allow for G-sync?

Also, battery life is a bit disappointing. Hoping that is just a guess and not really indiciative of actual battery life.

EDIT: Ahh, of course Prema to the rescue, I saw his post on TechInferno. 45WHr battery, what are they thinking!? I know a 62WHr would take up a bit more room and weight, but these smaller and lighter laptops are what people want to take on the go.

Also, still curious about the Microsoft Hybrid Graphics. I know DirectX 12 was allowing for multi-GPU usage and was brand agnostic. But in a way I think it's better to have this than Nvidia specific Optimus, but we will see.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  5. Kaozm

Reputations:
    Apparently, this was a discoruaged w7 thing.. http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-discourage-hybrid-graphics-systems-for-windows-7/

Edit: well..

6. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As far as I understood it should be pretty much Optimus.

Those new Clevo models just use that branding for their solution with MUX that allows either Nvidia Optimus (iGPU + dGPU) or Nvidia-dGPU-only, selectable in BIOS (needs rebooting obviously).

I have something like that in my oldie Thinkpad W520 where you can run either: iGPU, dGPU, Optimus (selectable in BIOS).

Note that this is different from more common solutions which allow: 1) Optimus or iGPU-only (most Optimus notebooks), or 2) dGPU-only or iGPU-only (MSI GT72, Asus G751).

-----------------

Then DX12 multi-adapter thing is another layer above that. If you have both dGPU and iGPU active, if your application is written to use multiple GPUs, then it should be able to benefit.

Not sure though how well it would work for Intel + Nvidia. So far I have seen just DX12 tests for AMD + Nvidia (curiously it seemed to make a big difference whether it was AMD + Nvidia or Nvidia + AMD).

-----------------

For G-Sync, as far as I'm aware it works only when running in dGPU-only mode. But a good question is how G-Sync will play with DX12 multi-adapter feature.

In theory, as those new Clevo models have screen connected to dGPU, if iGPU is enabled it should be able to be used as "coprocessor" and not mess with G-Sync.

7. Kaozm

Reputations:
    Microsoft hybrid craphics.. Well it probably has something to do with Xbox then? :p Within three years, all will lean towards Microsoft, Intel, Nvidia and "Xbox" teaming up with some virtue combined i/d/gpu powersaving game-streaming stuff.

And on the other hand we will have a comeback from AMD because of HBM2/3 partnering up with Linux/Steam and maybe Sony. Striving to make use of their new 128bit Cpu's on a brand new socket on the brand new hybrid NANO-itx etc boards.. and not making it work great before Intel improves the register on it.. (Probably a UEFI thing)

And hopefully a GPU socket to from AMD..

Would be nice with something that could fit inside a Xbone/ps4 size watercooled chassis, And HDtv's getting freesync!

8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    prema would surely find a way to enable a "igpu" only mode in bios, thus saving even more energy and prolonging the battery life :cool:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MSHYBRID is just the internal name for Optimus.

As far as saving battery life, AFAIK disabling the NV chip in BIOS does almost nothing as far as current draw (in an Optimus system, other non-Optimus implies some sort of MUX anyway). Either way the NV GPU sits in it's low power state which is <1W which doesn't make much of a difference in the long run. Most of the power budget disappears into the screen, CPU and PCH.

10. Kaozm

Reputations:
    That would have been great if possible! LIke HTWingnut said, I agree that the 45wh is to little.. What is Clevo aiming for, same battery runtime on every laptop??

Ok! I have no idea at all how optimus works, I found it releaving to not have on the Zm because I don't like things I can't turn off.. And was just speculating my wishes out loud lol, a little tired of the speculating game, and i really want a GPU chip for home theatre :p Tried a "mini" 970 to build a PC-console (wanting that damn elite controller) this summer.. but still looked like a box of macaroni imo lol :D Either Fullthower ATX, laptop or both!