*** Official Clevo P640RE/Sager NP8640 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NordicRaven, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Frankly speaking - Thunderbolt is going to take at least another half-decade to become a ubiquitous as USB is today.

I'd rather Clevo used that cash for thermals research or G-Sync licensing. TB's not a very useful port to have since there aren't many enclosures or drives that support the standard even today, 4 and a half years after its introduction.

2. kilinol

kilinol Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do, but the design is too red for me. Do you know if the red accents on the keyboard are from the backlight? Cause if the keys are white without the backlight I just might buy it. Price and weight is stellar though - at 1.8kg with 970m. I still might go with the XPS anyway because of its bigger screen - will wait till reviews come out anyway.

3. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    TB3 docks, displays and eGPU solution are few months away. At the very least, they could have added usb-c.
    not to mention, Competitors have them already.

hopefully there is a revision in the works for near future

Megacharge likes this.
  4. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    As I said - Thunderbolt has been around for 4 and a half years now. Literally the only Thunderbolt display we have now is from Apple. Only Pegasus has made enclosures for disk drives, and thumb-drive type storage is still dominated by USB.

As for eGPUs, I'm not very convinced by their utility - plug in a huge power-hungry box into your laptop for gaming? That sounds a lot like what Apple is doing - remove all functionality from inside the laptop and relegate them to tens of external accessories that clutter up working space.

I'm not sure what makes you think they're 'a few months away' if the standard has been around for nearly half a decade now, but nearly no one has taken notice of it, not yet, at least.

I'll accept Thunderbolt as being truly mainstream when I can buy a 16 GB Thunderbolt pen-drive for less than $20.

TomJGX and Kaozm like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The ports are becoming more common now it's not really expensive to include it in the design, but these things will take a bit of time.

6. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How about 32GB for $37 ?
    http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Type-C-Smartphones-Tablets-SDDDC-032G-G46/dp/B00V62XBY8
    Its not just a pendrive thing.
    usb-c has display, power, and data over a single cable. like it or not its the future - starting now. Most mobile phones coming out now are usb-c

If one's getting $1300 laptop that's going to be around for 3 years. its better to get one with TB3 simply because GPU in years time would be pascal / AMD 400 Series that will be exponentially faster and you have a an option of using them.

Think ondemand portable desktop gpu power. why wouldnt anyone want that ?

Megacharge likes this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's not TB3 though ;) It will be nice to have the port, but I don't think it's a make or break kind of deal.

8. Megacharge

Megacharge Custom User Title

Reputations:
    Well said, this pretty much sums things up for the naysayers, but I'm sure blinders will continue to be kept on for whatever reasons they can convince themselves of.

On a side note, I have a desktop that's getting long in the tooth, but perhaps I'll wait another few months and give Clevo a chance to correct this mistake with a revision equipped with the USB type-c/TB3 combo port.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  9. Kaozm

Kaozm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm yeah interesting! Is almost like you can plug the device into a phone or pc with a USB-C connector.. And then plug it into a regular USB-A module..!? :rolleyes:

513Gxw6jjJL._SX450_.jpg

Must be a little sad for that poor USB-A Male connector to not get any action.... :oops:

I mean.. Maybe over compensating a little with that tattoo there, but we all do our choices tho..

10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    That isn't Thunderbolt, as @Meaker said. I was talking about Thunderbolt, not USB-C. I always knew that adoption of the latter would always be fast, given that it's the de-facto standard for external ports. I even expect that Apple will soon ditch its pointless Lightning port for USB-C, just due to sheer competitive pressure to switch over.

A box weighing 3+ kg isn't very portable. Might as well buy a desktop. And no, some do not want it because, as I say, it looks extremely cluttered to relegate everything externally. I'd rather one big 2008 Mac Pro under my desk quietly humming away, rather than the tiny 2013 cylinder on my desk, connected to tens of external drives and devices all over.

TB3 is a potent technology, but I'd rather companies devote research time and money to improving the 802.3 Ethernet standard (we already have 400 Gbps, bringing it up to 1 Tbps would be good), the 802.11 WiFi standard, as well as internal ports and processors. SATA Express and DDR4 are such products.

@Megacharge may think I'm a 'naysayer' with 'blinders' over my eyes, but I say it like it is. The Thunderbolt standard has been out for a while now. It's market penetration is negligible. It's going to stay that way for a while more.

You guys might've heard of IEEE 1394, also called FireWire. It was the Thunderbolt of 2007-8 - and then it just disappeared. Thunderbolt (especially v3) has a significant advantage, by taking advantage of the USB port standard. And yet it'll take quite a while, by which time we'd probably have Cannonlake and Volta.