*** Official Clevo P570WM | P570WM3 / Sager NP9570 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jclausius, Feb 5, 2013.

1. GammaBreaker

GammaBreaker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A friend of mine has recently decided to part with his barely-used NP9570 w/ 3970X for relatively short money. It'll be here sometime next week.

My main goals with it are actually to pare it down a bit. It looks like I can set the active core count with Prema's BIOS mod. Probably set that to 4 for the time being.

I'm also interested in undervolting it, which is something I've had good luck with on Intel CPUs going back to the C2D E6600. Tends to knock an appreciable amount of heat (and in this case, resultant noise) and power use. If it's stable. Is that something that can be done within Prema's modded BIOS, or will that require the XTU to tinker with?

I'm sure it seems odd to castrate such a potent machine, but it's easy enough to take the caps off if I ever need the additional processing power.

DreDre likes this.
  2. DreDre

DreDre Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello ALL.....

A SAD day for me realized as EUROCOM has phased out the Panther 5 (Clevo P570WM) completely. Although I knew this day was coming it is nonetheless dis heartening. With many Notebook Manufacturers moving to thinner and lighter chassis this probably will be the last REAL beast of a laptop. I am fortunate to have gotten one of these and I am still in awe of the power it has in the chassis. I will be keeping it as long as I can because i do not want to be forced to use a lower powered laptop with BGA infrastructures. Although i still have my Alienware 18 and my Sager NP9380-S they cannot hold a candle to the Panther 5. Eurocom has assured me that they have spare parts for the foreseable future if i have any problems with mine but i dont know how long that will last.

I have a question for Mr Fox or anyone with knowledge on the subject. I have Dual 980M in SLI in my Panther 5 and since Eurocom uses specialized drivers to update the video cards does anyone know how to get updated video drivers to work with the Panther 5?

3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Are you running the @Prema BIOS? I didn't have to mod anything using it in my Panther 5. Just download the drivers directly from nVidia, unless you're on the stock BIOS.

DreDre and Prema like this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes he fixed it to just use standard drivers :)

Prema likes this.
  5. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, what a bummer! It seems there is no chance to get a spare CPU Heatsink for my Panther....
    @ceg-Extreme hasn't it as well and neither other resellers. Only RJTech but with 140 Bucks shipping costs.

Puh, either doing a hard mod or no ocing CPU wise....

Gesendet von meinem LG-H955 mit Tapatalk

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes you can't really delid the chip to reduce the surface area you are working with either.

7. DreDre

Reputations:
    I have only had the Panther 5 for a few months so No I am still running stock BIOS because my Panther 5 is still under warranty. I did not want to implement the PREMA mod because it could void the warranty. I also did not want to possibly brick the laptop but I do see the benefits of Prema's mods. I was looking to see if Eurocom was going to update 980M drivers for the Skylake 9 but that may not happen for the foreseeable future. I may not have a choice but to flash the BIOS at some point. Thanks for the INFO fellas.

8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    extra core in machine does help, since this laptop can take advantage of 980m it still on par with laptops nowadays however in terms of storage performance and ram size it falls short. 32gb is plenty though.

i'll be sure to get one of these eventually in the future as a collector laptop ha

DreDre likes this.
  9. DreDre

Reputations:
    Thats why I decided to get one of these because this is one of the most powerful as far as laptops on the market. Since it has been discontinued there will not be another one like it. The Panther 5 can potentially be more powerful than most desktops. With the option of upgrading parts this will probably be the last of its kind for the foreseeable future. 32GB of RAM is definitely plenty for what i need it to do. Dual 980Ms are definitely beastly when i can get triple digit FPS on most games. I got a 2TB SSD installed with the 1tb mechanical drive so with crystalmark the SSD is getting 525MB/s read and 400+MB/s write speeds so that is cool enough for me at this point.

ole!!! likes this.
  10. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    2tb SSD? Which one?

DreDre likes this.