*** Official Clevo P570WM | P570WM3 / Sager NP9570 Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jclausius, Feb 5, 2013.

1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    So, question for all you overclocker enthusiasts. Due to the large amount of general lack of knowledge I see from people elsewhere, I'd like to ask a few questions:

What do you all consider unsafe voltages for 24/7 use for an intel i5/i7 CPU? 1.4v? 1.5v?
    Is there a difference in safe voltages between mainstream CPUs and enthusiast CPUs? I know the enthusiast chips like the 4960X etc probably need more voltage to hit say... 4.6GHz than an i5-3570K.
    I've seen a lot of people claim high voltages require watercooling. Since I can't fathom any reason why water or air is different as long as temps are low enough, does that theory hold any water? (That pun wasn't intentional I promise).

@Mr. Fox @johnksss @Meaker @jaybee83 (I forget who else to tag)

2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    forgot to tag me =) LOL

i read places where 1.35v is for 22nm anymore is too much, but then i use 1.35v for my old x9000 CPU so.. =/.

i'd say to be safe, long lasting for years and years to come (6+ yrs?) 1.3v for 22nm and 1.25v for 14nm? theres also saying the leakage doesnt affect a thing which i doubt that, and more voltage means higher temp and its temperature thats killing CPU so some suggest voltage can go as high as possible as long as CPU is in good temperature, which I doubt too.

i guess no way to find out unless you have a bunch of sample, run each one differently for years and find out lol

tbh, i have seen HEDT cpu like 3970x or 4960x at requires 1.4v to run at 4.5-4.7ghz while other chip runs at 1.35v. just to let you know, intel gives the best of the best to xeon, remaining of those LGA2011 comes to us consumer, its only logical as we dont pay as much as xeon cpu cause consumer are limited to 64GB just recently changed to 128GB with DDR4, while xeon single CPU can go beyond that.

an unlocked Xeon, basically better versions of HEDT CPU are usually E3 1600 series, v1,2,3 type. those can go 5.0ghz, 5.2 ghz at 1.3/1.4 volts. some HEDT CPU even if you want to give more volt it won't go higher in frequency lol.

lesson is, dont get HEDT CPU, find ES of unlocked xeons E3 1600 version and hope it overclocks well.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  3. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    I've seen all sorts of stuff like that, however I've almost never seen a CPU die from voltage, and all Mr. Fox's chips have lasted quite some time and his voltages are usually quite high. It's why I asked the users who basically don't understand the meaning of "stock" and haven't understood the meaning of "stock" for many years =D.

That's normal, each chip works differently. I think there's a user in the P770ZM forums who has his i7-4790K at 4.6GHz under 1.2v

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    upload_2015-9-29_7-27-54.png
    This is taken out of a Norwegian web site that I have a paid subscription to. Translated from Norwegian to English:D.
    Estimert krav til 4,4 / 4,5 GHz for en gjennomsnittlig 4670K / 4770 K
    = Estimated requirements for 4.4 / 4.5 GHz for an average 4670K / 4770 K
    Maks anbefalt på god luftkjøling = Max recommended air cooling
    Maks anbefalt på god vannkjøling = Maximum recommended on good water cooling
    http://www.tek.no/artikler/guide-overklokking-av-haswell/137463/alle?key=BoCngbNv
    Edit: Here is also a roughly temp difference between various benchmark tests.
    Peak temp dic benchmarks.png

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  5. Takaezo

Takaezo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My 3970x would hit 1.57 @ 4.9Ghz volts, and my 4960x doesn't go much higher than 1.37-8 V. @ 4.7Ghz(set to 5.1Ghz in BIOS)

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    24/7 use ?;)

CaerCadarn likes this.
  7. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Ok, but why is there a difference between recommended volts for air and water cooling? What's the difference? As I was saying: if temps are fine in whatever your setup is, why is less recommended for air? Is it a temp concern? And if it isn't a temp concern, what difference does it make for the actual volts running through the system the kind of cooler?

In other words, I want absolute specifics. I wanna know if people are just blowing hot air when they say stuff like "I wouldn't use 1.3v on air" or something. I mean most of Mr. Fox's benches have over 1.3v in his CPU and he's obviously on air, for example. But he doesn't let his temps go out of control.

8. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What settings are you sporting with your 3970x in 24/7?

9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @D2 Ultima. even though mr. fox can overclock high, he doesnt use it 24/7. even if one is able to run at that clock, it'll degrade and soon you'll realize CPU that can OC to 4.5ghz at 1.4v will no longer run unless voltage is raised to 1.5v.

all cpu degrade, even at stock clock, depending on how golden your chip is and how lucky you are, thats it, no point dwelling into the physics behind it that we'll never be able to control lol, plus we not gonna stick to sandy-E/ or ivy-E for 5-6 yrs anyway. in 3-4 yrs we'll prob upgrade, for being an enthusiast =)

i am waiting for skylake-E xeon unlocked ES. single socket CPU E3 1680 v5? for at least stable 4.8ghz OC on all 8 cores, or a dual socket 8 cores CPU E5 2600 v5 and hope with BCLK I can get towards 4.0ghz on all 16 cores.

10. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    He keeps 4.3GHz minimum on all CPUs he owns; he only tries to go higher for benches. But he still uses a decent amount of voltage for 4.3GHz.

This is the basis of my question though. What's safe? What's killing-level? Too many theories floating around and nobody who has any actual answers. There's a group of serious overclockers here, so I decided to ask. I know John does desktop overclocking too and has mentioned before he has a team.