*** Official Clevo P177SM-P170SM / Sager NP8290-8270 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jun 1, 2013.

1. madweazl

madweazl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Laptop arrived this evening and I was monkeying around with things and noticed that the WEI had a low score for video and indicated that it was using the HD4600 for the score. Didnt find an option in BIOS to disable the Intel video. Are there any other options to disable it elsewhere?

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    No as that would mean that the internal screen and external outputs would be turned off. There is a reason WEI was scrapped.

3. mikemanpl

mikemanpl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there,

I have bought a P170SM laptop with Nvidia GTX 780m GPU. I am quite conent with its performance, but I am quite disturbed by its temperatures. After a 3dmark11 test (with demos, basic default test) it shows that GPU reaches 92 degrees Celsius! I have not done any OC- it is as fresh as it can be. In furmark it is topping with temps around 92 dg and it stays there but it switches constantly between 385 and 765mhz- throttling? What should be nominal max core clock for Clevo's 780m?
    The strange thing is that the radiator with ribs next to the fan is only quite warm at the link with the heatpipes, the rest is quite cold. The cpu's radiator with ribs is equally warm on the whole lenght. Done repasting with gelid with no success.
    On a previous ATI 7970 I was topping like 74 degrees.

Could you, good people with 780m onboard in SM revision of Clevo, do a 3dmark11 and post here top GPU temp you have reached? I want to see whether it is only mine that it is so hot, or everyone's.

4. MrDJ

MrDJ Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    hi
    might have been best leaving your original post where it was on the main clevo thread as more would see it there.

what country are you from and whats your ambient room temperature as that sure can add quite a few C to your readings.

also which monitoring software do you use. theres lots of free stuff in my sig below to compare. core temps, hwinfo64, gpuz, nvidia inspector to name but a few.

5. mikemanpl

Reputations:
    Im from Poland. right now its quite warm here- ambient room temp is around 25 I guess. The main problem is that there is a man having 780m in P150Sm (which is different only in screen size) and after 3dmark11 he gets like 68 degrees. I understand that there might be some differences between same cards, but I found p177sm test in which after 3d mark vantage it was 78 degrees. Those are the temperatures I would expect from a brand new card with no OC.

To monitor my temps I use HWinfo64, but the first reading was made with something else- I dont remember, but it was the same.

6. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Furmark will cause just about any high end graphics card to reach max temps and throttle. The throttle is their for a reason and that is to protect the user from damaging the card with Furmark! :)

You are running a bit warm for stock clicks on 3D mark. Are you running fans at max while benching?

There are some mods that can be done to reduce temperatures. I would start with the low hanging fruit first. The first one isn't a mod, but simply repaste.

7. mikemanpl

Reputations:
    I have done repasting 3 times with different amount of Gelid Extreme. I believe that those temps aren't right I just need to confirm them with anyone else on clevo. I gently pressed the heatsink in the corners and it instantly made a ~5 degrees difference. Also I think it is worth noticing that the radiator by the fan is almost cold on the other side that gpu. CPU radiator is equally warm. It is something with my radiator I think. Also when benching (3dmark, Valley Bench) the max temp is reached very quickly I think that it should be achieved more slowly. Also the backplate plastic over the gpu readiator is shining more than the rest of the surface - it seems that temp is doing its job...
    And what temp do you have after 3dmark11 with your 880m?

In 780M performance topic I found opinion that 94degrees http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/721360-nvidia-gtx-780m-benchmarks-overblocks-vbios-afterburner-evga-etc-53.html

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    If it's cold at any part then there is something wrong with the heatsink.

9. ACarrasco

ACarrasco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Don't know if I should be posting here or creating a new thread. So I'm risking it here...

So, I got the Sager NP8278 (Clevo P170SM-A) and, as you all know it comes with the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3.

Now, I've repeatedly tried to install this since I got it (4 months ago), but every time I get the same error message: "There is no supported audio device available".

I've tried installing the X-Fi, restarting, then the Realtek Driver.
    Installing the Realtek Driver, restarting, then the X-Fi
    Installing the Realtek Driver, not restarting, then the X-Fi, then restarting.

Every time, the same error. Any Ideas? Is this X-Fi MB3 even worth the trouble?

By the way, when I did the 3rd method above the Sound Icon from my tray is gone and I cannot start the Windows Audio Service manually as it gives me:
    "Windows could not start the Windows Audio service on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Which package are you using? From the CD or from the Sager website?