*** Official Clevo P177SM-P170SM / Sager NP8290-8270 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jun 1, 2013.

1. madweazl

madweazl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info.

2. OTRTexan

OTRTexan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am about 90% sure I'm going to order the 8278-s on Friday, but I have a couple of concerns. Has the keyboard ghosting issue been fixed, and how loud is it in the middle of a heavy gaming session?

3. madweazl

madweazl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hopped on the XoticPC website and ordered an 8278-S this morning. Standard configuration with the addition of a 120gb Samsung Evo, 1TB 7200 storage drive, BD burner, and Bigfoot network card. I'll order another Samsung Evo and some RAM today and should be set. Now the waiting game begins...

4. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have had my 8278 for 4 months. Haven't had any ghosting issues

Sound levels that are bothersome are very subjective. I always run my fans at max (which I can hear from across the room) while gaming. If you buy an upper spec system there are trade offs.

Cool, quiet or fast. Pick any two.

I have to admit that I haven't tried running fans on automatic since I did my cooling upgrades.

5. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have had my 8278 for 4 months. Haven't had any ghosting issues

Sound levels that are bothersome are very subjective. I always run my fans at max (which I can hear from across the room) while gaming. If you buy an upper spec system there are trade offs.

Cool, quiet or fast. Pick any two.

I have to admit that I haven't tried running fans on automatic since I did my cooling upgrades.

6. OTRTexan

OTRTexan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be tweaking mine like you have yours either. For what I need, stock will be just fine. I do plan on changing out the 8gb of stock memory for 16gb of faster memory, plus upgrading to the Evo ssd. And staying with the 870 I think. Still considering the Asus G750JS, not for sure on the sager just yet.

deadsmiley likes this.
  7. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Congrats on the order! Those upgrades are really all you need as it comes pretty well stacked.

8. LifeHacker

LifeHacker Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all, new guy here. I got my NP8298 a few weeks back from Powernotebooks (which by the way, is totally awesome. I love you guys for who you represent and you do a fine job of it! :) ) and found this thread the other day. I have been enjoying the heck out of it, the power available (to game, general use, etc.) has been leagues beyond my old machine (running a first-gen AMD APU, which, while not terrible, got me used to ~10 fps playing most games on their lowest settings lol). I've got an i7-4810, GTX 870, my old 840 evo from my last machine, and the remaining more or less standard. I was wondering a few things and also had a couple questions. Oh, and I'm on Windows 8.1 if that turns out to be relevant.

Wonderings:
    Are there any tips and/or tricks y'all have found to max out the power of the machine, or any other useful bits that make the experience even better (which is already totally awesome)?

Questions:
    1) Is there any way to tell if a program is utilizing the GPU card's VRAM? I'd doubt it, but I have a slight suspicion that I might have a partially bunk GPU because it only seems to be using 'dynamic memory' as opposed to VRAM. I have no way of telling if it is or is not though.

2) I've noticed the BIOS is pretty limited, and I've seen images of certain PC boards using a GUI based BIOS (that 'they' called UEFI, but I've since learned that is a new BIOS protocol versus a new, better BIOS), and I was wondering if there are any unofficial BIOSes or BIOS mods that expand my options, and if so, how so? (and recommendations for what to look at and what to avoid would help here, I've never BIOS moded before for fear of taking out my machine, but I know this computer could have better options than what is presented)

3) I've recently started to run into the DirectX bug with windows 8.1 as explained here Windows 8.1 x64 - Low memory while playing full screen games - Microsoft Community and was wondering if anyone else was having the same problems? (It only happens with a heavily modded Skyrim, and I suspect it might have started after running a SMAA injector, but I can find no options for screen resolution to adjust for that, but nothing is conclusive on my end yet.)

And that is pretty much it for what comes to mind at the moment, I've enjoyed every minute of my new machine, and I'm glad I could join the ranks here! :D

9. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1) Download HWiNFO64 and RTSS, install them both, open RTSS and minimize it then open HWiNFO64, check the box for "sensors only", click "configure sensors", click "OSD (RTSS)" tab, scroll to GPU0, click on GPU memory usage and check show value in OSD. Its a really handy tool, I use it to monitor my clock speed and temps in games. Just fire up your favorite game after you set this up. If you are having a hard time reading it, pull up the RTSS settings and change the palette so the pink is white or another color.

2) You want to look at Prema's amazingly awesome BIOS mods to unlock your BIOS. Keep in mind that doing this is outside of the scope of your warranty and may entirely void the system warranty depending on reseller policies.

3) I don't have this issue but I would follow the suggestion and set your desktop resolution to the same resolution the game is using before launching the game. Otherwise someone else may be able to help you.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Thanks for the kind words.

Ethrem has you covered really, if you keep getting the low memory errors give the guys in the office a call :)