**Official Clevo P170EM / Sager NP9170 Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

1. JamieLegends

JamieLegends Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm using Liquid Metal, much better than the normal thicker cooling paste. Dropped temps with 12 degrees celsius on full load (from 89 degrees celsius to 77 degrees celsius)

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not a bad clock with that voltage.

3. nealios

nealios Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys and gals, now I've got a new laptop. I'm looking to Frankenstein my p170em. And learn more about tweaking and modifying the insides.

At the moment. It's got:
    I7 3610
    Gtx670
    8gb ram
    Ssd
    The 1080p lcd panel is buggered with 2 green lines vertically right in the middle. But if 1080p is the only panel available maybe u can save this one?

Basically I would like to know what would be the best possible configuration a p170em could have. Then month by month I would upgrade said parts. Then marvel at the abomination I've created

Thanks in advance

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    3840qm/3920xm
    GTX 1070
    32GB ram
    SSD raid
    1080p overcooked to 90-100hz

Fixing an LCD is pretty much impossible.

5. nealios

nealios Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cool, thanks :)

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The 37xx series is a nice step up too if you can get it cheap.

7. beavis87

beavis87 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, everyone. Finally got my laptop working properly. Stopped using it 3 years ago after I built a desktop as I found that my GPU had fried, a GTX675M, so I got another one. Then I found out that my keyboard was broken. Would continuously type one letter, so after some trial and error after buying one from China and buying another from a US seller, it now works. I had previously added an SSD as all it had before was a 750 GB HDD but it was still running on Windows 7, and I also added a Blu-ray drive, and better Wi-Fi and Bluetooth card, going from the stock Realtek to an Intel card. So once all that was done, I installed Windows 10. Everything went well until the graphics. Windows coopted Nvidia before I got a chance to install it and at first, it was hard to get Nvidia to overwrite what Windows installed. By accident it seemed to install and now its up to date but have yet to test it. Then I realized that it isn't running as fast as when it was on Win 7, so I decided to upgrade RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB. Now I think its finally where its a usable machine again. Only has a cosmetic blemish below the screen on the bezel. Gonna see if I can polish that out. Wonder if that's a common thing on these. So the point is, is that I'm really doing this to get it ready for sale. I had a good run with it the first three years I had it and I now no longer use it. I feel that this is still a good laptop for its age and I want to know what it could sell for. Below are specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
    Kingston HyperX Impact 16 GB (2x8 GB) RAM
    Corsair Neutron XT SSD 223.6 GB
    ST750LX003 698.6 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M
    Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 WLAN/Bluetooth
    Matshita BD-DE UJ240 (this thing is really noisy, are there quieter Blu Ray drives?)

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Check the members market segment to get an idea.

9. beavis87

beavis87 Newbie

Reputations:
    After getting windows 10 running and most drivers installed I'm having issues with fingerprint, thx trustudio pro and hotkey drivers. AuthenTec TrueSuite is installed but maybe I'm not using it right. Any tutorials to get fingerprint set up? Activated THX TruStudio Pro and it shows up in icons but can't change any settings. Clevo's Keyboard Backlight Application is not working. I verified I installed the right version and Sager's website has a Windows 10 specific driver for it but pressing Fn+"/" doesn't open program. Got all drivers from: http://www.sagernotebook.com/drivers.php?cat=558
    These are drivers that I didn't even use when it came with Win 7 but I want them to work, if possible for the next owner.

Also, where to get a Blu-ray bezel for a NP9170?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. AceTimberwolf

AceTimberwolf Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, looks like the P170EM is still alive and kicking. i got mine back up and running. switchout the ram and swapped out the hdds for ssds. i am running into some issues. i got 1709 working but not the new 1803 windows 10 update. also tried ti play some games like Battletech and Frostpunk but only getting 4fps, regardless of graphic options. i updated both the drivers for my iGPU and dGPU but it looks like it doesnt switch over for some reason. i am planning on ordering the 1070 but was wondering if anyone has had some problems with windows 10 and switching graphics.

Sager NP9170
    Intel 3610
    AMD 7970m
    32GB Ram @1600
    Win 10 1709