*** Official Clevo P170EM / Sager NP9170 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. festa_freak

festa_freak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello. I received my new 9170 a little more than a week ago. I have now had some quality time with it and would like to jot down a few thoughts and a few questions.

I love the display. I got the regular matte screen and it is very vibrant. Gets very bright too as well as dim if needed for darker hours. I was concerned about the keyboard and what other people were saying but I have no issue with it and I actually really like it. There is a lot of feedback from the keyboard and you KNOW when you push a button but it isn't tough. It has a slight sound when you push but it isn't like the old mechanicals.
    I got the 7970 and so far no problems. I tried BF3 multiplayer and didn't notice any problems. I didn't have any hardware programs running but it was good to my eyes and that's all that matters. I tried the new xcom (yay) demo and it was perfect. I have yet to try Skyrim or other games.

The highest temperature I've seen was the GPU at 75 or so playing Xcom. It was at 90% utilization. The fans are loud but they rarely hit top speed when gaming, definately not louder than a desktop with fans.
    I love the look of the laptop (unbranded). It just looks so plain, but we know otherwise. I have no troubles with the mouse pad. I've always hated using them really and will always use a mouse when available but I've used this one for a few hours and it is just like every other one I've tried. The fingerprint scanner works for me well.
    The power brick is huge though and heavy, but i knew that.
    The speakers are better than my old dell but still are laptop speakers. The headphone jack is not as bad as I expected but still has a noticeable drop in bass.

Overall, the laptop is really fast. It rivals my desktop in boot times (desktop = ssd, 9170 = 7200 750GB) but granted its a new install. It is sturdy and sexy, what's not to love?

NOW, a question. I've read in some thread (tried searching) that you can have the laptop keep the battery at 80% when continuously plugged in. Is this possible on a 9170? I've tried looking under battery options and bios but saw nothing.

Update: After getting MSI afterburner and playing a 64 player BF3 match. utilization was >90% most of the time, but only when looking. Think I will start a logging program to see if it drops for a bit. but from what I've seen it is using the GPu well.

After further playing and logging it seems like every minute or so utilization would drop and so would FPS. I was usually around 55-59 but it would dip to 40 or so. Still not a big deal to me. I'm used to maxing games out so my minimum frames are around 20. I like pretty more than smooth.

2. speedy11131

speedy11131 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll try system restore.
    No exclamation point in device manager unfortunately. I've tried to reinstall the stock drivers from the DVD, but it still refuses to work. I did make my own pseudo-recovery DVD from when I installed Windows 7 with the stock drivers, I'm assuming that's my only option if the system restore doesn't work? Is there anything I can do in a Linux LiveCD type environment to check if the card is still alive? You don't think the card is dead do you? Thanks for your help.

3. shmutus

shmutus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    To all Of you who own a 7970m, a New Official Beta from AMD is available: 12.9 BETA.
    AMD Catalyst
    Hope it will fix your performance/Enduro Problems....

4. tommytomatoe

tommytomatoe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for spreading the news but this release is not intended to resolve enduro issues. That will come later in October.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

5. glhelinski

glhelinski Newbie

Reputations:
    hi, i've got the sager 9170 and i passed on the steelseries keyboard upgrade and now wish i hadn't. many searches and i just can't find anywhere to purchase one (or compatible). i really don't care if it has illumination, i just want it to work. i'm on my 2nd stock keyboard now and am a little sick of this keyboard. keys seem to just go "dead" ... not dead but you really have to hammer on them to get them to work. last keyboard it was the R, T, G, H. this latest on is the M, shift, O. i sent one back now already. i have reseated the cables and get temporary relief...also tried a contact cleaner. so i'm hoping the steelseries will solve or does anyone else know what the cause/solution could be?

6. tommytomatoe

tommytomatoe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You could try contacting mythlogic. They should have some steel series keyboards on hand. :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

7. hazilo

hazilo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everybody,

I'm new here and I just ordered my Clevo P170EM with an amd 7970m, i7-3720qm, 32gb ram, 256go m4ssd and bluray burner.

I also have a recent 3d plasma TV with hdmi 1.4a and pairs of shutter glasses, so the question is, will I be able to play films and games in 3d with the hdmi port of my Clevo?

Thanks

8. Decado2

Decado2 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking at buying a laptop to replace my desktop. Clevo seems to be the stand-out choice, but I'm not sure between the NP9370 and the NP9170. Dual GTX 680's sounds good, but the price-tag is a little steep (were benchmarks for the NP9370 OCed ever shown?). So currently I'm leaning towards a basic model with a single GTX 680...is there any real difference between the two Clevo models?

I also hear that buying a second card down the road (foro SLI) isn't a great move since priced tend to stay stable.

What kind of connectivity do these models have? I'd like to set it up with my entertainment system (HDTV and audio receiver). HDMI, obviously, but does it have optical out? Does anyone have a good setup to run blu-ray movies and games through their laptop to HDTV/Receiver?

Will the sound be good (seems to be a complaint re: this model) if it's run via HDMI or optical through a receiver?

thanks

9. AMRAAM_Missiles

AMRAAM_Missiles Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i am having a minor problem with putting the machine in the sleep mode.
    I can either do it through Start -> sleep mode or just push the power button once.
    But then , somehow the machine just shut-off completely and i have to hold the power button to restart it ( also have the screen that notice about Windows did not shut off normally on the last time).
    This happen very randomly and i don't know what it is.
    Any idea?

10. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Do you have a SSD?

I would recommend turning the machine off or just using hibernation in any case (shutting down is recommended on SSD's)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.