*** Official Clevo P170EM / Sager NP9170 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. extide

extide Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yup :)
    10 char

2. Rsaeire

Rsaeire Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's also very easy to do as I had to do it myself when I bought my P170EM with a 250 GB HDD and I wanted to move it from the 1st to the 2nd HDD bay in order to make room for my SSD. :)

3. tracerit

tracerit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    are there any internal pictures of the NP9170? I'm wanting to see what it's like installing a 2nd HDDa nd how the cooling is for the two HD bays.

4. Coors

Coors Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

5. Rsaeire

Rsaeire Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay, so I just booted up my laptop, after reapplying the TIM, and temps so far seem to be around the same °C. I'll let you guys know how good/bad they once the TIM has had a chance to settle.

By the way, it was amazingly easy to get to the CPU to clean off the TIM and reapply it; I love this laptop! :D

6. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    It's insanely easy indeed, enjoy

And the temps will get better, just wait and see! ;)

EDIT: You should be able to see a difference once the machine is under load

7. Rsaeire

Rsaeire Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have indeed. The highest temp on any core was 74°C with the lowest being 69°C; that's 21°C lower than the previous highest core temp so I'm very pleased. Idle temps are still pretty much the same at around mid 40s°C but I hope these lower after some time as they're still annoyingly high for my tastes.

8. Ibanez

Ibanez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone.

I'm thinking about purchasing this laptop soon but I have one question. Could anyone tell me if the firewire chipset is a Texas Instruments? I need to be able to record audio via firewire to the laptop, and since there is not an expresscard slot to upgrade, I need to know this before purchasing.

Thanks!

9. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately it's not a TI chipset, but you may be happy to know that I haven't had any problems recording to it! What interface do you have? I've tried both a Firepod and an mBox 2 Pro with no issues.

10. Ibanez

Ibanez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well that's good to hear! I don't have a Firewire interface right now, but I plan to purchase a Presonus Studiolive board down the road for live sound and recording purposes.

I have also been looking at this: Sonnet - Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapter

Apparently it has been tested extensively and it works great with a Firewire expresscard! I am considering the Asus G75VW now from Xotic PC since it has a Thunderbolt port and I really like what I see from that laptop so far.

EDIT: Scratch that idea... Apparently the G75 only has a display port and the models with thunderbolt won't be shipping until later this year. Just when I thought I had the perfect setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.