*** Official Clevo P170EM / Sager NP9170 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlaskanGeek

AlaskanGeek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Been over a week now, and all I can say is I love this laptop!!!! Awesome!

2. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Haha talkin about love :) nice to hear you are enjoyin' it

3. extide

extide Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    3610qm is fully locked, no overclocking.

4. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :D

One thing I will say is that the audio truly is as bad as everyone says it is...I don't consider this a dealbreaker since I have a Presonus Firepod hooked up 99% of the time anyway, but just know that you may want to invest in a USB DAC if audio quality matters to you in the slightest. Even a $50 SoundBlaster would be a huge improvement over the built-in DAC...but anyone who cares too much about audio probably wasn't using the built-in laptop system anyway ;)

5. Coors

Coors Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't find the audio that bad. My previous laptop was a lot worse.

6. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update! All is well, all drivers working 100%, the 90% gamut screen is beautiful.. I would say it rivals that of the Samsung Series 7 Gamer screen I previously had. No dead/stuck pixels! It's perfect! Highly recommend this LCD panel just for the great color saturation and viewing angles.

No keyboard issues so far, every key works perfect.

About the audio quality, IT IS HORRIBLE. There's no doubt.. The built-in speakers are bad and the headphone jack is just as crappy.. I really tend to think there's a driver issue here going on that is affecting the headphone port? If not, I guess it's purely a physical thing.. I guess the dac or wiring going into the sound chip is of poor quality. I can see how this is a deal breaker to some people as i'm a person that does enjoy plugging in my high quality headphones to enjoy some tunes.. Although for gaming, I have a USB headset so at least it's not using the on-board soundchip for it.

I guess I can set the audio issues aside as the rest of the machine is pretty solid. As i'm typing this i've noticed I have to bang decently hard on the keys for some of them to register.. Hoping that it will loosen up over time!

7. lowfreq

lowfreq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so i have had my sager for about 2 months now and I am worried that i waisted my cash. i am not getting the kind of performance that i thought i would get. I see low fps and even some texture issues in a couple games. I am trying to find out what my options are to improve my performance. I am still using the stock sager drivers on the web site for the hd7970m-should i try the newer amd drivers if there are any? If i do so should i wipe the sager drivers off beforehand? someone told me to do it over them once but that does not sound right.

If i am still not happy with the hd7970m graphics card will i be able to replace it with another graphics card?

pls help guys i spent nearly 2000 on this machine and now i feel like i burned my cash for no reason :(

(note:there are 2 games that are working well as far as i know so i am assuming that it is not a hardware issue. games that work:tribes ascend , starcraft 2. TROUBLE WITH :Tera Online, Diablo 3, Blacklight:retribution)

8. tommytomatoe

tommytomatoe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The low gpu utilization of the 7970m in some games is a documented issue. You can glance at the number of threads/sites that people have stated their issues. It has to do with enduro technology.

Your best bet is to see if your reseller can assist you in swapping for a 680m.

No.driver you install will resolve your issue until AMD releases one to rectify the enduro issues.

Good.luck!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

9. lowfreq

lowfreq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmmm idk what to do this is a hard choice. would it be worth it to switch to the 680m? will they ever come out with a fix? is it a good or bad idea to update to the 12.7 beta driver on the amd website instead of useing the one from the sager website. thanks for the reply it is much appreciated. :)

10. tommytomatoe

tommytomatoe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't have your card, so please take my advice lightly.

First you can always roll back drivers. So try the 12.7 to see if they help at all. Also, contact your reseller. They might have different ones also.

As for when/if update...no.chance in telling. Driver issues have been a known phenomenon with AMD. The 5000m and 6000m all had issues with late drivers. That said, at the time of purchase last September my 6990m was reported to have issues and that drivers would.come eventually. Being that I use my laptop as a workstation, I did not install any games until this summer lol. So some time between septemeber 2011 and July 2012 (when I installed windows, steam, and Batman arkham asylum/city), any and all issues are presumably resolved as I can play these games exceoptionally well. Note that the open source drivers in Linux performed as expected during the entire time I've had my laptop. Take from my story what you will.

So does this apply to 7970m? Maybe but I don't know lol. If you have the cash to spend on 680m ($650-800 pending where you purchase, minus value of 7970m if you sell it), then I vote go for it and forget any hassles. If you don't have the dollars, then you can wait it out.

Good luck!!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.