1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

**Official Clevo P157SM-P150SM / Sager NP8250 Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jun 1, 2013.

1. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

the underside of the 157sm does look better for thermal dynamics.
    do all the 157 models come with those atrocious red garnishings on the side?

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

Yes the 180W PSU is more than adequate at stock clocks, and overclock is adequate for *most* games, just some heavy GPU titles like Dirt 3, Crysis 3, BF3 will hit the PSU limit with overclock.

3. xjulzkx

xjulzkx Notebook Guru

4. IKAS V

IKAS V There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Do all CLEVO's use the same type of power plug with all there laptops?
    ( the tip that plugs directly into the laptop)
    Only asking to see if P177SM 330W power brick woukd fit the P157SM and allow more head room to OC.

5. HTWingNut

No, the 17" machines have a 4-prong plug where the 15" have the single barrel connector with 5.5OD x 2.5ID mm connector.

180W PSU
    [image=500]http://i.imgur.com/SoSdjdN.jpg[/image]

240W PSU
    [​IMG]

6. trvelbug

wait so is the chassis of the 157sm different from the 150sm or are they basically the same shell?

7. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

No since the 157 also has a 7mm ssd bay and is a bit thicker.

8. trvelbug

The underside also looks like it has more holes, maybe giving better thermal dynamics. Is this correct?

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

9. HTWingNut

I dunno, but I'll get with Calibre41 who has a P150SM and I have the P157SM and we'll take images and share to compare.

10. IKAS V

IKAS V There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

:tongue:
    Aren't you done with your review yet?...lol
    Kidding but I'm down to 2-3 choices and your review would help a great deal as to which way to go.
    Side note:
    Any higher rated W PSU's known that are compatible with this laptop?

11. xjulzkx

xjulzkx Notebook Guru

From what I've seen between the P150SM and P157SM from reviews to pictures and even the official Clevo P1xxSM manual, there is no much difference between the two. But here is some screenshots I took from the P1xxSM owner manual from the Clevo website:

Model A = P150SM
    Model B = P157SM
    Model C = P151SM
    Model D = P170SM
    Model E = P177SM

If you want to view the manual with all specifications and pictures etc yourself, go here -> CLEVO - Download And under the user manual, select "P150SM/P151SM/P157SM/P170SM/P177SM Series".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Consultant

Also really want an answer on the red vents too.
    Silver or black vents would have been 10x better.

13. xjulzkx

xjulzkx Notebook Guru

The answer is No. The P150SM / P157SM / P151SM / P170SM / P177SM do not have the red markings on near the vents. The Clevo laptop that has those extra red panels on the side is the Clevo P375SM as pictured below:

[​IMG]

14. xjulzkx

xjulzkx Notebook Guru

15. Gnourt

Gnourt Notebook Enthusiast

16. vegetaeater

Hooray!!!!

17. vegetaeater

Apparently you can simply disconnect it. Although, to do so, you have to remove the keyboard.
    I would shoot a quick email to your reseller/builder and ask them to do it for you.

18. trvelbug

thanks for the pics xjulzxk.

the 157sm clearly has the better placed vents. the 'additional' one is right where the gpu sits and the feet do not obstruct the fan's airflow as was the complaint in the hm and em series.

it just makes the choice betweem the two all the more intriguing. i personally prefer the more business like, sleeker look of the hm style chassis but the added benefit of better placed vents and a slightly thicker chassis (despite the touchpad and gamer looks) of the 157, seems equally compelling.

19. xjulzkx

xjulzkx Notebook Guru

I've personally ordered two P150SM's myself with GTX 780M's in each of them. I noticed the difference with the vents as well on the underside, but realistically I've also played and experimented with over a dozen laptop coolers and have always stuck with the Zalman NC2000 and NC1000 coolers, they are the only ones that I've actually seen a difference with. Realistically between the P157SM and P150SM it's quite clear that that one extra vent over where the GPU sits will help. Won't help drastically but will allow slightly more airflow than the P150SM (but we are really talking about such a minor difference here, heat rises, it does not drop down).

Another advantage to the P150SM compared to the P157SM is the whole front part of the laptop is a lot more raised from the ground, whereas the majority of the P157SM is a lot more flat. If you've used laptops since forever like me, then one key thing you would of noticed that's critical to laptop cooling is making sure there is plenty of room and space underneath.

And hell, if you are really desperate enough, it's just a plastic underside cover. Cut your own hole in it and super glue or melt on some thin wire mesh and finish it with a nice rubber 0-ring seal. There's your new air vent ;)

The other advantage to the P150SM over the P157SM is the rear vents are more vertical whereas the P157SM has horizontal rear vents. So i'd easily be able to use an additional fan cooler on it if I wanted to. Example of the additional fan cooler I'm speaking about are these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides the Zalman NC1000 and NC2000 laptop tray coolers, I would also recommend the above coolers for vertical based vents. The one extra fan makes a world of difference in my experience.

20. HTWingNut

Running battery test on P157SM right now. Power saver, 10% brightness, wi-fi on, four tabs in firefox auto-refresh 1 to 15 minutes. Been an hour and less than 20% battery gone. If it continues, it should be able to exceed 4.5 hours!