*** Official Clevo P157SM-P150SM / Sager NP8250 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jun 1, 2013.

1. D68_js

D68_js Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. I am looking into a new laptop and up until today was almost completely sold on the MSi GT60 but it seems to be turning up that it has serious networking issues and that is a deal breaker for me; so I have a few questions about this notebook.

1.) Does anyone know the model of sound codec used in this laptop? I'm guessing an ALC892 or 898 but I can't seem to find a confirmation anywhere. (I am interested in the P157SM specifically in case there is a difference in sound chip)

2.) Does anyone know the brand/model of Ethernet chip used?

3.) Can anybody that has used this laptop comment on how comfortable the keyboard is for extended typing sessions?

Thanks!

2. CoolPrizes

CoolPrizes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1.) Realtek ALC892
    2.) Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (10/100/1000MBit) - Don't know which model.
    3.) Don't know. My laptop hasn't shipped yet.

Source: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-One-K56-3N2-Clevo-P157SM-Notebook.93275.0.html

3. ironminded

ironminded Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question for those in the know; the 95% color gamut screen being offered in the 8250-S models; what freq does that run at? 60hz? or is it a 120hz?

I'm not to worried about it, more curious than anything. I do a bit of photo editing as well as gaming and my crapplebook not-pro has finally died on me. I probably going to pick up an 8250-S with a 4900QM fairly soon but want to get all the info I can prior to actualy sending money out the door.

4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm looking at both these laptops as well but in the MSI's case what exactly are you talking "networking issues"?
    I've read the whole GT60 owners lounge and reviews and I don't remember anyone having "networking issues"
    Only thing I can remember is One guy had issues playing youtube videos but found out it was a small problem with his blutooth headphones but that was easily fixed.
    Only thing preventing me from ordering the CLEVO is the loud fans reprted in some outside reviews and also mentioned by some members during gaming and under full load.
    Man how I wish someone can build a quiet powerful laptop that's not named ASUS.

5. Evil Penguin

Evil Penguin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    60Hz for any of them.

6. D68_js

D68_js Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply! I completely missed that on the right side when I read that review.

If you google something like "killer networking issues" or "killer 1202 networking issues" or even look at killers facebook page, there is a whole slew of people with complaints about BSODs and connection issues, so it isn't strictly limited to MSi, just Killer cards it seems, especially the E2200. I asked but it doesn't seems anyone on this forum is having issues with it, but I'm weary.

I also agree about the fans! If only we could control the fans in the Sager with something like speedfan, then I'd pick one up in a heart beat. Speaking of which, just for clarity, the fans can't be controlled by speedfan or some other program can they?

EDIT: Does anyone know if the headphone jack on this notebook is amplified like on the MSi GT60? I can't seem to find that anywhere either though I will keep looking.

7. Turnbull2000

Turnbull2000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm considering the P157SM from XMG aka P503.

If I opt for the "optical bay caddy", will I be able to install a 2.5 inch HDD into this? I'd like to -re-use the drive from my failed Dell M1530 for extra storage.

Also, does anyone know if this model will boot from SD card, and allow me to reinstall Windows 7 Pro 64-bit using an ISO??

Thanks

8. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I left mine @ default Killer 1103 and it's been great for me so far. Blows the Intel card in my GT725 out of the water admittedly just the 6100 IIRC, but I had another nb w/6300 before and really it performed no better than the 6100 while the 1103 is just nuts at least for large transfers. Be a PITA if it acts up as I wouldn't look forward to the kb/etc. disassembly to get to it for replacement which is why I was happy to hear that Sager fills the hard(er) to get to mem slots under kb first...)

That said I've had it not reconnect after coming out of sleep one time(had to manual disconnect/reconnect) but it's been fine other times(5GHz multiband N I'm talking, haven't even bothered trying 2.4GHz(I have both up because I have some legacy devices that only ever will support G max, and several that won't work at all with anything other than WEP, I really probably should get an AP and set it up as WEP).

It's survived re-connecting from several other sleep cycles plus a hibernate today, but that was because I forgot to increase the hibernate delay from 6h to 1d.

Decided to try an ssd for the helluvait and ordered a crucial m4 128GB after a bit of reading and debate. Figured c. $100 if it dies in a few months or a year no big deal which is why I chickened out of the 256GB version even though benchs showed it to be a slightly better performer... i.e. guinea pigging the new notebook which might get expensive if I like and want a larger cap SLC NAND(don't like low MLC write cycles but no choice with msata at a reasonable price point) for the desktop boot drive...

@ironminded Is the 4900MQ REALLY worth the prem to you? I went through checking when I ordered mine and IIRC it boils down to a 200MHz increase over the 4800MQ base for a significant premium or at least it was when I specced and ordered mine... (8250-S, I get the feeling that Sager option prices fluctuate a bit...)

9. kole208

kole208 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where or when I can get my hands on a sager clevo p150sm?

10. xjulzkx

xjulzkx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've got two P150SM's with Killer 1103 WiFi adapters and have no problems what so ever within Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.