*** Official Clevo P157SM-P150SM / Sager NP8250 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jun 1, 2013.

1. DrillZZ

DrillZZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey there,

Curious if anyone managed to make 980m work in P150SM? I've upgraded to a 980m but it doesn't recognise the card :/
    I've read about a modded bios from @Prema but couldn't find it on his site.
    Any suggestions on how to make it work?

2. badiyee

badiyee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    by right it should accept 980M without any problems. I bought a P150SM-A way back in dec 2014 with a 980m pre-configured.

If rumours are right, you can even install a 1060m without any bios modifications. The 1070m however, requires a lot of mods. If I hear the rumours correctly.

By the way, i'm just curious. Like REALLY curious. Is there a way where we can install larger heatsinks? I don't mind cutting through some of the panels / etc. I'm a little frustrated because I accidentally dropped the laptop, and the bottom case looks like a wreck, like it was bent (its very visible bent if you put it on a flat surface, like the laptop curved from one end to another (think of a smiley face)

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 1060 has been a success for a fair few systems yes. The 1070 is more down to shape and is a lot more power hungry.

4. badiyee

Reputations:
    BTW, may I ask here (because i'm very sure no one mentioned Liquid Metal in this thread)

Is it advisable to use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal, or any "liquid metal" in general, for the GPU and CPU repasting?

just asking because the liquid metal seems to be very good at its job.

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Only if your contact is perfect and you are aware of the dangers.

badiyee likes this.
  6. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

It's possible, and if you are really careful it will have better results, but I will stop short of advising it on laptops.

badiyee likes this.
  7. badiyee

Reputations:
    Thanks for the heads up!

I think i'll try something that's non-liquid metal. Since I don't know about the dangers, and I think i'll err on the cautious side, by sticking to non-conductive thermal pastes / thermal pads.

Apparently the stuff on the VRAM (at least at the GPU side) ... I don't know how to call it. Thermal pads? Thermal sponge? Its blue in colour, and its from the factory. Its kinda fluffy and crumbly. Like its cracking and breaking off. I think that's also what is impacting performance, but I don't want to open the thing up without replacement products (and might as well replace the TIM for GPU and CPU too while at it).

Thanks!

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Correct thermal pads, the thinner ones are easy to replace, the thicker ones are a little more tricky.

badiyee likes this.
  9. shatteredhalo

shatteredhalo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a reputable recommendation for replacement batteries for the NP8268-S? I have tried several different aftermarket batteries, from Tanch and a couple other places on Ebay and Amazon, but they all have the same weird issue. They will appear to charge to 100%, but will not keep themselves topped off. It will continue to display 100% but if I unplug the laptop say a couple days later, it will immediately drop from 100% to 80% or something like that. Also strange - none of these aftermarket batteries have shown or developed any wear or reduced capacity you would expect from use and age. They remain at 0% wear level and full capacity. Every once in a while the aftermarket batteries will not be recognized by the laptop and I'll have to restart a few times to fix it.

My original battery does not suffer from this strange behavior, and it does properly show wear % considering its age and use, so ideally I'm looking for a replacement of the same quality and functionality as the original.

Unrelated - is there a recommended type/brand of thermal pads to use for replacement on the heatsinks?

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Resellers can offer OEM batteries usually. Worth checking if any local ones have any stock.