*** Official Clevo P150EM / Sager NP9150 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. extide

extide Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. McDave

McDave Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    7970 running fine so far... but got a blue screen yesterday watching a video on espn (flash, I believe). BUT, for the most part, I have played Crysis 2, Need for speed world, and Tribes all without any issues. I think the 7970m bashing is limited to the lunatic fringe of users. BUT, I would like to get the new driver when available, and the Sager support site has a driver dated from May (before I even got this 9150). Anyone hear anything about new drivers? GA drivers, not beta, I need stability for work use.

Thanks!

3. italian.madness

italian.madness Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. GooeyGungan

GooeyGungan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've heard many times that those headphones aren't really high end, but I haven't heard what headphones are considered "high end". I'm curious to hear what headphones are considered good by those in the know.

5. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It depends what you need/use them for, but I do a lot of audio recording and engineering (mostly classical music), and I have a set of Sennheiser HD 380s and a set of AKG K701s. The K701s are fairly objective (meaning they don't colour the sound), which is great for mixing and listening to classical music, but they're open-backed, so they're not really useful while making the actual recording. The HD 380s are a bit bass- and mid-heavy, but they have really good passive isolation, and you can still tell what you should be hearing. Both companies (Sennheiser especially) have higher-end models that cost a lot more, but these two models are either at the upper end of mid-range or the lower end of high-range, depending on your perspective. And for the work I do—where objective sound is vital—they're actually more appropriate than something more expensive that would colour the sound with the goal of achieving a specific sound.

Bose gear isn't objectively terrible, but they're VERY overpriced for what you get—you can get equally good equipment for half the price. I got my HD 380s for less money than the QuietComfort 15s cost, and the Sennheisers absolutely blow them away.

Beats, on the other hand, is the epitome of "pretty bad AND way overpriced". If you only use them for listening to music where hugely exaggerated bass is important, I guess they'd be okay, but my impression when I tried out a set of Beats was that I was listening to everything in a fishbowl. Nothing above 200 Hz had any definition whatsoever.

Anyway, poke around the head-fi.org forums sometime if you want to see what some people consider "high-end" ;) Things can get pretty hairy out there...

6. extide

extide Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, stuff like some of the higher end Grados, Senheisers, Ultrasones, AudioTechnicas, the Audez'e LCD 2's, Shure's, the Denon AH-D2000/5000/7000, Beyerdynamic's, HiFiMan, AKG's, etc. Pretty much any model from those brands that is $300+ would be "mid-fi+" and then when you get into the $800-$1000+ range you have the real high end stuff.

Personally, I own the AudioTechnica ATH-M50's and the Grado SR-80's, both of which are fairly low end models, yet still very good. They each are about $100 items. Hopefully soon I will be able to get into some better cans :)

7. nanias

nanias Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,I replaced my original disk with a SSD and cloned the partitions but I forgot to backup BCD settings and now my f11 restore option is broken, I have tried to restore it but I can't make it work; anyone knows how to restore it? Bellor are my BCD settings: Those are my listed Volumes This is how it should look like (spectroplasm that owns a myth 170EM sent me, tnx btw) .
    I know I have to restore the last Windows bootloader GUID{d553467a-eb8c-11e1-95de-c9ddc49c3751} and the ramdisksdidevice under Device Options... I also read somewhere that HardDiskVolume6 is the ram memory

Tnx for any help! Cheers

8. extide

extide Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know this may not be what you want to hear, but you would be way better off just doing a clean install onto the SSD.

9. nanias

nanias Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did since I couldn't use the restore, but somehow my system is not performing like new... on stupid example is my wei that was 7.2 for the graphics and now is 6.9, and no it is not the intel 4000 because the other graphics score is 5.3 which is the intel graphics... this among other things... plus the myht install is zero bloatware and all already tuned and customized... Tnx anyway
    If anyone can figure how to restore the BCD I appreciate.

10. Achusaysblessyou

Achusaysblessyou eecs geek ftw :D

Reputations:
    Just FYI, if WEI's the only thing that's different, then it's fine. WEI is notoriously inaccurate and variable and Microsoft should NOT be using it as all it does is confuse people who don't know.

ie. How does the Intel 3000/4000 get 5.0+ when the 330m on my old Vaio Z got 5.6? (the 330M is almost double the performance of the HD 3000)

And there's also the issue of different people getting different WEI scores with identical hardware

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.