*** Official Clevo P150EM / Sager NP9150 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McDave

McDave Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you want all vm's to be able to share things like ethernet (instead of nat) or Dvd or... dare I say... video card, you need it. Otherwise you assign it to the active vm manually.

2. Bonzai11

Bonzai11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Doesn't vt-d allow the vm hardware level access? Would you be using the vm to set up a network and have the host os sit behind it?
    Vt-d passes the link over the host os and doesn't share, unless I'm missing a hidden feature.

3. mortalitas

mortalitas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Weird, I have the 675 and hon is fantastic, no lag at all I also upgraded the wireless card maybe that's why

4. McDave

McDave Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Right. For more self-reading see Thrawn's response:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1818049

Basically 1 and only 1 host can use an I/o resource at a time at hw level without vt-d (excluding Cpu/ram) networking gets around this by nating to each vm on the same host os resource. Vt-d actually allows true virtualization of I/o. Since most run workstations to switch between os's using one at a time, manually re-assigning an I/o resource (or having a nated connection for ethernet) is fine. I will be having virtual machines that need simultaneous access to I/o and true virtualized peripherals.

I am going to run virtualized networking appliances for demonstration to customers, so software layers between the guest os and I/o (affecting performance) is not the best. I agree, my needs represent a bit of a corner-case, but I actually got this 9150 for that purpose (the gaming prowice is a bonus).

More:
    Intel’s hardware assist for virtualization helps to lower the overhead of virtualization software. Intel VT (introduced first in 2005) today represents a platform centric innovation in hardware assist encompassing Intel VT-x in the processor, Intel VT for Directed I/O (VT-d) for I/O virtualization in chipset and Intel VT for Connectivity (VT-c) in the networking devices, all of which help VMs reduce the virtualization software overhead across the platform and increase the performance.

5. Kamzu

Kamzu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone experienced keys not registering on this laptop? Like you really have to pound on the keyboard to get things to register accurately?

Just got this laptop and having this problem.

6. hihihehe

hihihehe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    same thing happen to me. the numpad 1 is not registered properly. need to press a bit harder. not sure if there's a quick solution

7. Dan1107

Dan1107 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really hope that some of the keyboard problems that people are experiencing are the result of rushed work by Sager.

8. micahmatthew

micahmatthew Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All game related issues w/ the 7970m are due to drivers; it can definitely play those games maxed out; except BF3 you might have to turn down shadows and AA. Just use SMAA or FXAA injector; you will easily gain another 10fps lol.

9. birdsonbat

birdsonbat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i hope some officially supported drivers come out soon to resolve all the issues people are having with 7970m :(

10. hihihehe

hihihehe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    anyway, do we need AA settings to be enabled? i read somewhere that FHD screen don't really need AA to be turn on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.