*** Official Clevo N970TC / N970TD / N970TF Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Feb 14, 2019.

1. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    XTU running in the background seems to constantly force 3D clocks with my GTX1080 for some reason.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Set it in the nvidia control panel to igp only.

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I did try doing that and it did not help.

For some reason the issue is the Intel Graphics Command Center tray icon - I had it disabled in the preferences, but the process for it is still run even if the icon is hidden. So with the tray icon enabled, I can right click it and exit it which releases the Nvidia GPU and lets it shut off without killing processes in task manager. I checked the Intel GCC support / feedback site and didn't see anything mentioned about this problem so I will report it myself.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I wonder if its maybe another exe it relies upon?

5. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Yes, its the IGCCTray.exe process. It gets launched regardless of the setting in the Intel Graphics Command Center. So for now the best thing to do is just always show it, and exit it when it get relaunched. I did test the same Intel GPU driver / Intel Graphics Control Center app on an Alienware M17 and had the exact same behavior.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    So even manually selecting that one too still launches on the dGPU? That's an interesting bug.

7. jmthomas1987

jmthomas1987 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just thought I would post a quick update with Linux running on my N970TF.

Installed a Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVME drive from NewEgg in the second M.2 slot a week ago, after waiting nearly a three weeks for UPS and USPS to get their stuff together.

Installed Linux Mint 19.3 as my daily driver for general work. Ubuntu Budgie 19.10 as a test bed for gaming (Mint is on a LTS build, so packages are a bit "dated"). Installed Kodachi Linux 6.2 for an "anonymous" distro to learn about forensics and such.

Mint installed strait away. Added the Additional Drivers, which pulled down the Nvidia Gforce drivers for my RTX2070. Works just fine.

Budgie was the same, installed fine, drivers loaded just fine. Spent this evening testing some basic undervolting settings to try and replicate what I did with Throttlestop under Windows 10. Now you have to set it up manually, but once it is setup, it works just fine.

Haven't really messed with Kodachi yet. Been busy with work.

So in short, I know Eluktronics doesn't officially support Linux, but with a bit of terminal work, and some reading on-line, Linux runs great and looks gorgeous. Now ready to setup Steam and give Proton a whirl.

8. TheZB

TheZB Newbie

Reputations:
    Bumping this thread because someone on a music forum recommended me the N970TC model, and I wanted another reference. I have a couple of questions.

1) I'm interested in using it for music, which relies on different benchmarks than gaming or most other things. If any other Win10 user on N970TC could download this freeware for testing audio suitability, run it for ten minutes (it can take a while for issues to pop up), and post a screenshot, I would be eternally grateful.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

2) Has anyone tried dual booting MacOS/Hackintosh on this model? Theoretically it should be possible. I'll need to run both Windows and MacOS, and the reason I haven't bought a MBP yet is because of issues with the T2 chip in newer models.

9. Omar60

Omar60 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys,
    I've got the N970TC model powered by Core i5-9400 and GTX1660Ti (display: AUO139D - 60Hz) ;)
    Can I replace my AUO139D with a ChiMei N173HHE-G32 (120Hz G-Sync) ? :rolleyes:
    In your opinion the laptop can work with that ?
    TIA and best,

Omar60 :)

10. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Your current display likely uses a 30-pin connector. So you would either need to find a replacement panel that is also 30-pin or get the 40-pin cable for your machine.

Also the N970 does not support GSync on the laptop display. You would have to connect an external GSync monitor to the Nvidia mDP (the one closest to the Ethernet port).