*** Official Clevo N960TP6 / N960TD / N960TF Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Aladin1992

Aladin1992 Newbie

Reputations:
    I wish there was a review of this laptop somewhere!

2. Misant

Misant Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm searching a custom unlocked bios for my N960TF (from LDLC France, they sell clevo but do not provide any driver or bios except useless outdated CD -_-).
    I searched a lot but didn' find anything :( except this :
    https://repo.palkeo.com/clevo-mirror/N9xxTD_TF/ but it's for official bios/driver.

Looks like prema does not provide modded bios anymore (last time I checked was for a P150EM in 2012 ^^ and many thanks for his work, it still work well !) and others seems to only give it to their customer.

Does anyone know where I can find or ask for a custom bios (or buy ? donate ?) Same question for the RTX 2070 ?

Thx for your help.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Typically not for these models as they don't have the power/cooling headroom of the larger systems.

4. Misant

Misant Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply, I'm searching this for undervolt CPU/GPU, eventually set ram xmp profile, enable "infinite" turbo if temps are ok or things like that. My primary goal is reduce temperature as the laptop "natively" throttle.
    I know I can do this with software like Throttle stop, intel XTU or things from Obsidian suite but I always prefer bios edit to Windows software for that kind of things.
    But if nothing exist and modding is impossible I will deal with it and stop searching ^^.

Edit : After some reading, I found it's editable and there is many hidden option (see next post for tuto).

There is a software called H2OUVE who let you show and edit settings. I didn't find how to save permanently but as explained here, it looks like it's more complicated than just edit via GUI and save :

https://www.win-raid.com/t5173f16-B...fiance-V-H-O-BIOS-Hidden-settings-unlock.html

I think I will ask some help on win-raid forum to permanently enable this option.
    Can someone who already updated his N960TF to the latest bios/EC firmware can provide me link to the bios/EC firmware**** and give me the flash order (bios or EC first ?)
    Then, I will open a thread on win-raid forum and ask for help to enable the "Setup Menu Insyde Full Show" option.

**** I know https://repo.palkeo.com/clevo-mirror/N9xxTD_TF/ but I'm not sure wich file choose and don't want to brick my laptop, so if someone already did it i'm interested :). If nobody know, I will use latest version available here https://support.one.de/faq/content/...levo-n960tf-_-downloads.html?highlight=N960TF but I need to know if I have to flash bios or EC firmware first.

Thx for your help.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  5. Misant

Misant Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry for double post, it's for readability.

I found a way to enable hidden menu with H2OUVE. It's not permanent (load UEFI default will remove it so real bios mod still needed...)
    So here is the steps (NB : I'm not responsible if you break something ! do it at your own risk !)

Tool can be found here : https://www.win-raid.com/t5005f16-U...BIOS-for-Clevo-NH-RCQ-Hyperbook.html#msg83099 thx to this guy for sharing it.

Note : Care with bios edit, if you fail with cpu undervolt (for example, like I did...), you will have to buy a CH341A-based programmer and a SOIC8 clip to recover the bios.
    Do it with software if you are not ready for this. (I tried everything, fn + d, other shortcut, remove cmos, try to blind flash with usb key...)

1) Launch H2OUVE as Admin :
    [​IMG]

2) Load runtime (it will load your current bios)
    [​IMG]

3) Go to Setup (yellow box on the left) -> Advanced -> Advanced Chipset Control -> Setup Menu Insyde Full Show => Show
    [​IMG]

4) Refresh
    [​IMG]

5) Check on main or advanced tab, you should see many more values/options.
    [​IMG]

6) Go to Exit
    [​IMG]

7) Save change without exit
    [​IMG]

8) Exit H2OUVE, Reboot and check your new bios options

9) Enjoy :)

Remember,load default settings in bios will reset everything and you will have to enable the option from H2OUVE again

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  6. Misant

Misant Newbie

Reputations:
    I feel alone here :eek:

More informations about the N960TF
    I replaced thermal paste (CPU/GPU) + delid the CPU, took some pics and did temperature test before and after the operation.
    I think you may be interested by the results.

So, first pics :

Ready for surgery :
    [​IMG]

Without cover :
    [​IMG]

Heatsink removed :
    [​IMG]

I7 8700 delid with sucess :D So so so easy with der8auer tool (no more razor blade for me, no more stress)
    [​IMG]

Second cover removed to access the GPU.
    Care, you have to remove one screw under the keyboard to remove the second cover !!
    Read the maintenance manual for this !

[​IMG]

GPU heatsink
    [​IMG]

Without GPU heatsink
    [​IMG]

Added some thermal paste here maybe useless...
    [​IMG]

This 5mm SSD heatsink perfect fit (sorry no pic with heatsink on, no test before/after) :
    [​IMG]

Now tests results :

Test protocol :
    - Ambiant temperature checked during test
    - Aida 64 Engineer 6.00.5161 Beta
    - Test everything except SSD during 1 hour for each test
    - Laptop is always on a klim cool wind at full speed = 1400 rpm x4 fan (I never use a gaming laptop without a laptop cooler)
    - Fan settings are on auto in CC3

nb : First test is with 16 GB ram, second is with 32 GB ram

Before (stock laptop) (23°C ambiant temperature) :

[​IMG]

- Huge cpu thermal throttling so unknowm max temperature...

After (new thermal paste CPU/GPU + delid) (24°C ambiant temperature) :
    [​IMG]

- No thermal throttling
    - cpu never goes > 80°C
    - GPU lost 4°C

I'm really happy with the result :)

Now time to undervolt, I will share the result when happy with it.
    Maybe I will buy Obsidian suite for fan tuning

nb2: No improvement on ssd temp but it was not stressed and it's actually without any partition so not used.

willaw, kolokolok170 and t456 like this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Nice result, it is funny how huge the GPU is compared to the CPU.

8. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nice sub 80 temps. Good work

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

9. Misant

Misant Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

Does someone know if it possible to get a 330w or more power supply (even from other brand) for a N960TF (not a 4 pin PSU) ?
    Because I have power shutdown whith furmark + cpu stress test at the same time (and when I reboot the PSU isn't detected and I have to unplug / replug PSU from wall...)
    I think 230w is too low for 2070 + I7 8700, I have power throtteling when I stress CPU + GPU .
    CPU alone (with forced frequency to max turbo for infinite time) use 75w (PKG power) with some undervolting in throttlestop, then if I start furmark it drop to 60-67w and after 5mn it instant shutdown because of the PSU...

Actual PSU is 230W 19.5V and 11.8A.

CPU stress test alone (look at frequency and pkg power)

[​IMG]

CPU stress test + furmark (look at frequency and pkg power drop...)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    There can be limits in the ECU for overall system power draw but you would need to desolder your cable from your PSU and solder it into a 330w brick. Note this exceeds the rating for the tip in question and obviously the machine.