*** Official Clevo N950TP6 / N957TP6 / N950TD / N957TD Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 4, 2018.

1. mcalago

mcalago Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, its my fetish to install newest updates everytime. At XMG's website it says only added support for i5 9400 and nothing more. Im actually seeing nothing better or worse compared to older bios version right now.

2. smäggi

smäggi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, thanks i already stumbled upon this thread but didnt read all posts (and the last one was reffering to his git ^^).
    I finally managed to get Ubuntu working, this did the trick : acpi_osi="!Windows 2015" acpi_osi=Linux
    Now the installer was also able to shutdown my device :)

Installing steam was pretty painless but then i ran into the nvidia driver running with optimus question. Since i could find so many different approaches i just used ubuntus additional drivers feature and installed the proprietary nvidia driver. But when i start e.g. CSGO i am sure the intel graphics card was used.

Can anyone with some experience guide me how to get real optimus (not primeswitch) working?
    Which OS you recommend (i think i can get steamos working now too)?
    Should i use PPA repository driver or is this already the driver ubuntu wanted to install?
    I heard manjaro would be very easy but my download always fails after some minutes, so i cant test it :( I tried lots of different versions (kde and so on).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  3. AndiiiHD

AndiiiHD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi guys, i have undervolted my i5 8500 with Throttlestop and i thought about if it is possible to undervolt the nvidia 1060 card too? Does anyone have a guide for this (which tools etc..) or do you already have an undervolt working then maybe you could also share your settings/experience?

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    MSI afterburner and the clock curve is what you need to look into.

5. Houzo

Houzo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got a Samsung pm961 128gb nvme for Windows and it does not reach its full speed. Any ideas?
    I'm getting about 2.5 GB/s write and 750mb/s write speed. Should be around 3.2 gb/s read and 1.6 gb/s write.
    Does the Mainboard limit its speed? Do i need special drivers?

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's about normal for the 128 I think looking around quickly.

7. Fightar

Fightar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a n950kp6, and other than being a sky/kaby lake-compatible laptop, it's basically identical to the tp6, so I will share what I've learned about this here. It's not possible to directly undervolt cards like we used to be able to because our lords and masters nvidia have decided that we are too stupid to mess with the voltage anymore. You can still do something similar by setting a frequency curve in msi afterburner. Bobofalltrades has a video tutorial of how to do this on his youtube channel and that's what I watched to learn how. But I have done something entirely different with my curve by severely underclocking it to 1400mhz and making it a straight line the whole way through so that it never boosts or goes above that.

After doing that, and rolling back my drivers to 399.24, my temperatures have dropped from 85C to a max of 68C and I'm getting about 20+fps more on average than I was before. And that 68C only seems to be when I first load the game. Usually it sits around 62C.

AndiiiHD likes this.
  8. AndiiiHD

AndiiiHD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is The reason for this specific Driver 399.24?

9. Fightar

Fightar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was getting lots of crashes on my 1060 with every single 4xx driver and after reading around for a bit I found many people were saying to roll back to 3xx drivers, specifically 399.24, with pascal cards to fix whatever issues they were having. It's all anecdotal but I haven't had a single crash since.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  10. Houzo

Houzo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Currently i have 419.35 installed and no problems at all, even with overclocking no crashes.
    Sound over HDMI, however, does not work with any driver except the one from the clevo homepage, which is really old. Any idea how to fix this?
    Interestingly i had the same problem with my old asus laptop. Sound over HDMI only worked with the driver that came with it, not with the ones directly from Nvidia.