*** Official Clevo N950TP6 / N957TP6 / N950TD / N957TD Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Houzo

Houzo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the n957tp6 with i5 8400.
    Throtteling happens for the GPU, CPU runs fine.
    Now I noticed something interesting: the GPU clock is fine until it reaches 60° Celsius. Then it drops immediately to 1111mhz. I guess it is entering some passive cooling state. This happens only with the control center installed.
    Unfortunately my bios doesn't have a oc section.
    Also when the GPU is throtteling i get lots of weird glitches and artifacts in heaven bechmark.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That does sound like a bug in the software.

3. Houzo

Reputations:
    Yes, i guess i'll have to live without control center until there will be an update. Won't be able to control keyboard led and use hotkeys for dimming backlight.
    I really don't need control center, i'd be happy just to have the flexikey app standalone.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I take it you reported it to your reseller?

5. Houzo

Reputations:
    I have, but no response yet. I'll post their answer here. Reseller is Dubaro.

6. Houzo

Reputations:
    Hey folks, i found a solution for the gpu throtteling! In the Control Center installation folder (folder is called "hotkey") there is the file "NVGPU_DLL.dll". I just renamed it to NVGPU_DLL.dlldisabled so the dll doesn't work anymore and since then no throtteling is happening! I think that the Control Center doesn't have any control over GPU clocks without this dll so it fixes the issue. I don't know if other functions of the Control Center also stop working without that file but until now everything seems fine. I have no answer form my reseller yet on the issue. I just tried a few things, didn't really think this would work myself but i'm glad it did!

Update - getting high GPU temps, not sure if it is a result of what i did or not

Update 2 - fixed the problem by using obsidian's fan control. Without nvgpudll.dll the control center does not increase fan speed when the GPU heats up, but obsidian's fan control does. So I can leave control center installed to control keyboard lights and function keys for dimming and disabling the led Backlight and fan control from obsidian keeps the fans running.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    jclausius likes this.
  7. smäggi

smäggi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Houzo,

thanks for sharing your experience!

So you bought the Fan control Software from here ? https://code.obsidian-pc.com/clevo-software/

Is it possible to let the fan go 0% when in a certain temp range?

I got my new ram and it runs @ 2666, so the missing jedec was the problem. Even my resuppliers technician didnt know that :(

Now im getting around 940 points and above 100 fps depoending on my gpu clock.

Since i dont have any of your problems and i´m using the same CC version i think your bios may be a problem. What version do you have of EC and Bios?

8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes you can set 0% fan speed with the Obsidian fan control tool.

But it may be better to set a low inaudible speed to keep the temp constant. (I find yoyoing up and down fan speeds more annoying than constant very low)

9. smäggi

smäggi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have an i5 8400 and delided it, used Xtu to undervolt (cpu @-170 uhd630@-130) heavily and normaly i use energy save mode with max clock @ 2700mhz. This results in deksktop mode the fan is usually of but the burst from activation is way too high. In CC i have set from 45 to 65 degrees and max 50%. Normally i would try sth like on 60 degrees it should be around 10% and on 70 30% (depending on the noise). I also thought about using throttlestop to underclock even more (if thats possible) but it doesnt like to be used with xtu :(

Some posts ago someone mentioned CC is using its own xtu but not to undervolt ? Does it regulate short burst max ?
    I didnt understand why this could even influence the gpu clock since xtu is for intel processors. I´m using silence mode and afterburner @800mv and 1759mhz clock and 300 mhz ram boost. Stable and ultra quiet.

Another thing that bugs me with my Clevo is windows is showing only USB 3.0 ports and not 3.1 in device manager. I got the latest chipset driver for Z370 from intel, should i use the clevo ones?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    XTU will be referring to the igp if talking about graphics.