**Official Clevo N870HJ1,N870HK1 / Sager NP6870,NP6872 Owners Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Noctilum, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Noctilum

Noctilum Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    **Official Clevo N870HJ1,N870HK1 / Sager NP6870,NP6872 Owner's Lounge**

[​IMG]

The Clevo N870HJ1 and N870HK1 are 17 inch laptops released in early 2017. They share the same chasis and internal components with the exception of the video card. The N870HJ1 includes an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 video card and the N870HK1 includes an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

These models are capable of having Core i3, i5 and i7 configurations, along with a FHD (1080p) and QFHD (4K) displays, but those options may be limited to certain regions. There is no internal optical drive.

These models may be ideal for individuals who wish to use a larger laptop for productivity purposes but occasionally do some light gaming.

CLEVO N870HJ1 (with 1050) PRODUCT PAGE

http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=1019&lang=en

CLEVO N870HK1 (with 1050 Ti) PRODUCT PAGE
    http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=1018&lang=en

SAGER NP6870 (with 1050) PRODUCT PAGE
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP6870.html

SAGER NP6872 (with 1050 Ti) PRODUCT PAGE
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP6872.html

KEY FEATURES
    • 7th Generation Intel Core processor
    • Built in the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti graphics card
    • Support 4 active displays
    • High resolution panel
    • One M.2 SDD SATA or PCIe Gen3 x4
    • 2 x USB 3.1 (1xType A + 1xType C, Option)
    • Full color backlit keyboard or White color backlit keyboard
    • Sound Blaster™ Cinema 3

PHOTOS

http://imgur.com/a/ZIgbL

VIDEOS

Unboxing and Overview
    Teardown
    BIOS, Windows, Viewing Angles

IMPRESSIONS

Coming soon...

BENCHMARKS

Coming soon...

REVIEWS

Coming soon...

If anyone has any information about these models that should be shared, please post it below or PM it to me and I will add it. Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. Noctilum

Noctilum Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I placed my order for the Clevo N870HK1 (Sager NP6872) this morning and will include impressions of the unit when I receive it. I chose it over the NP6870 mainly because it was only $20 difference and the video card was a large upgrade from 1050 to 1050 Ti.

My purchased configuration is:

Display:
    17.3” Full HD (1920 x 1080) Clear IPS Matte Display

CPU / Processor:
    7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

Video & Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1050Ti GPU with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory Switchable GPU by NVIDIA® Optimus™ Technology

Thermal Compound:
    IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

Memory:
    8GB DDR4 PC4 2400MHz (PC4 19200) Memory (1 x 8GB)

Primary Hard Disk Drive:
    1 TB 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive

Wireless Network Card:
    Intel® Dual Band Ultra Wireless - AC 8265 M.2 + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo

I will be installing a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD drive when I receive it and using the 1 TB drive for storage. I will purchase more memory if I feel it's needed but I wanted to see how well it performs with just 8GB first.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  3. miserywizard

miserywizard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the following configuration and would be happy to answer any questions providing they're not too technical (I am exactly as described above, needing to "use a larger laptop for productivity purposes but occasionally do some light gaming" and with only moderate computer knowledge):

- 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor ( 6MB Smart Cache, 2.80GHz)
    - 17.3" Full HD IPS Matte Display (1920 x 1080) Pre-Order!
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory / Optimus Technology
    - Stock Standard Thermal Compound
    - Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
    - 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 2400MHz - 2 X 8GB [+$70.00]
    - 512GB SanDisk X400 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive [+$145.00]
    - Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module [+$15.00]

Noctilum likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's a really nice config you got there :)

miserywizard likes this.
  5. miserywizard

Reputations:
    Thanks, it's really working out great so far. It's actually doing better at games than I figured, comfortably allowing me 1080p gaming but not getting into any crazy temperatures. The screen looks amazing and watching movies on it is a real treat. I've never had a screen where the blacks were actually black.

I've only just started setting up audio programs for recording but already it's handling everything very smoothly and without errors.

6. jayant

jayant Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    has anyone tried out linux on this system ?
    I was planning to get one, but I want to use the GPU for calculations in ubuntu/arch etc.

7. reacher

reacher Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you link some photos and how is the build quality on the laptop looking so far? Is it all plastic or is there any metal involved? Does it feel cheap?
    -How are the thermals on the standard cooling paste?
    -How much is the battery life on average?

8. miserywizard

Reputations:
    I can link some photos when work isn't so busy. But the build quality is super solid so far. The lid feels really sturdy, with very little, if almost no flex to it. It takes some effort to open it up, which I like. The keyboard feels secure and solid, with no give. I think the plug for the power brick feels a little dinky and exposed, makes me worried a little about bumping it into anything when it's plugged in. The whole thing seems to be made out of the same material, some kind of plastic I'm sure. It doesn't feel cheap to me, it feels very solid and functional. It's not pretty, but IMO it's not meant to be. It's not trying to be anything other than a big ol laptop.

I've been playing several games on 1080p/high-ultra settings (like Mafia 3, Star Citizen, ESO, and others) and the laptop never gets hot enough that it becomes uncomfortable or that I need to take it off my lap. I haven't meticulously monitored the temps of the CPU/GPU but the few times I checked while gaming the temps never seemed to go past 75c or thereabouts. I think the fact that it's only a regular 1050 helps with the temps.

I've had it off the power a couple times, just browsing the web at night and using streaming services and it easily reaches 3 hours of battery life.

All in all this system is really working out for me.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sounds like you are getting on well with it :) How is Star Citizen on the 1050 series?

10. miserywizard

Reputations:
    Really well, in my opinion. It seems with that game the way it runs is more tied to server stability than anything else, but aside from some obvious hitches on that front there's been no real issues. It looks great, and it seems like the CPU/GPU combo holds up really well under all that number crunching.

All in all I'm honestly kind of surprised. This notebook comes off kinda frumpy and despite its huge size it seems kind of unimpressive on the outside, but it's a real workhorse on the inside and it handles everything I've thrown at it really well. There's some impressive guts stuffed into its thin shell. Two thumbs up.