[Official] Car Deal/Bargain Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by TravisBean, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimino

Mimino Notebook Communist

Reputations:
    hey, guys! does anyone still have access to carfax? i need to run a vin number real quick :)

2. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Actually, The Sonata is built in Korea OR Alabama (and only after the 2006 model year, prior to that none of it was US assembled). They have two plants building them. The engine still comes from Korea, and so does almost all of the parts.

Also, with Canadian trade agreements, I treat Canadian products just slightly behind US made products. (The Impala engines were all made in Flint, MI as well).

I don't really take what Consumer Reports says as accurate. They always seem to have a bias against American products.

Most cars end up with that optional ABS. It's a neat trick they do to allow dealers to list sales cars at the bare bones price, and have the rest of the cars on the lot with options. Regardless, have you ever driven a car without ABS? Most of my cars haven't had it, and I've yet to get in an accident.

Demos, or this marketing trick where if they have trouble selling a new car, they loan it out through the service department at least once, then throw it on the used car lot hoping to get a bite on it. Not sure how all the accounting goes on with that, but it happens.

5. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    If somebody asked for that, I'd tell them to dig through the back seat for any receipts that may have fallen in the cracks. I do all my own work (from engine rebuilds, transmission rebuilds, steering rebuilds, etc), so they won't get a nice detailed list from a mechanic. Oh well. I don't trust anybody else with my car.

I'm less worried about a manual being worn out than I would an auto. Only real issue is the clutch assembly (flywheel is warped, pads are worn out). Also, gear oil is different from transmission fluid. It doesn't need to get changed much, and only takes a a few quarts, where as an auto takes gallons.

6. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  7. Shane@DARK.

Shane@DARK. Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hey guys, what do you think about a 5-speed 2000 Mustang with 65,000 miles and no records of a crash/mechanical failure on Carfax for $4,500? I'm going down on Saturday to check it out.

PM me!

8. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Test it out, if it drives well, try to talk it down as much as you can, If you can't take it down any, id say it sounds good

9. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have to disagree with you on that point. Because CR purchases the vehicles they test (at regular prices) and they have NO paid advertising, I consider them the least biased source of data. The predicted reliability ratings are determined based solely on their annual subscriber surveys.

Here are a few quotes from a recent article entitled "Who Makes The Best Cars?"-

They also named several GM products that rank highly in their tests-

Most cars end up with that optional ABS. It's a neat trick they do to allow dealers to list sales cars at the bare bones price, and have the rest of the cars on the lot with options. Regardless, have you ever driven a car without ABS? Most of my cars haven't had it, and I've yet to get in an accident.

I've also had several vehicles without ABS, and no wrecks as a direct result in those vehicles. On my first car with ABS ('92 Accord), the brake pedal pulsating was so obtrusive and annoying that I had my mechanic yank the fuse and disable the ABS system. BUT that was 17 years ago and modern systems are much more transparent (invisible) in their operation. It's an old trick that some manufacturers have a base model with an artificially low MSRP so they can advertise a low starting price. In many cases, it's impossible to find one on a dealer's lot without certain items (as you noted, most/all of the actual cars end up with those certain 'options').

If manufacturers want to use this trick, I suppose I can hardly fault them. If one guy does it, they all have to follow to remain competitive (on the surface). But I DO take issue with them actually building cars for sale to general public that lack what is now considered a basic safety feature! The same goes for side-impact airbags.

What puzzled me is that this barely 1000-mile car is NOT being sold by a new Hyundai dealer. The implication being that it has been previously titled or, much worse, has a salvage title! If it was a new car dealer and the car was one of the brands they sell, I wouldn't think twice about a few miles on it.

10. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Fox News reports that now is the time to buy a new 2008 Chrysler (leftover's from last year) because these cars will not be bought back by Chrysler when the dealerships are shut down in June.
    @ htwingnut---What is the Chrysler equivalent of the Chevy Impala ? (workhorse,sedan, reliable fleet vehicle)

12 grand for a new PT Cruiser? Great deal??

Edit:http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/ncal....008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=#252079346

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...rice=&cardist=263&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.