[Official] Car Deal/Bargain Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by TravisBean, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tippey764

Tippey764 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  3. Vedya

Vedya There Is No Substitute...

Reputations:
    hyundai....

4. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The irony here- guess which of these vehicles was manufactured in the United States???

The Chevy Impala is built in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada and the Hyundai Sonata is made in Montgomery, Alabama. =) Just a bit of trivia...

Between these two, I think the Sonata is the better value for several reasons-

Fuel economy- Sonata: 21/32mpg vs. Impala: 18/29mpg (city/highway)
    Bumper-To-Bumper Warranty- Sonata: 5yrs/60k miles vs. Impala 3yrs/36k miles
    Reliability- Consumer Reports rates the Sonata as 'Above Average' and the Impala as 'Average'
    Safety- Both cars have 5-star frontal impact ratings, but the Sonata performed better on the IIHS offset-frontal impact test with a 'Good' rating vs. the Impala's 'Acceptable'.
    Standard Equipment- ABS (Anti-Lock Brakes), ESC (Electronic Stability Control) and TCS (Traction Control System) are standard on the Sonata. They were optional on the '08 Impala LS (I wouldn't even consider buying a car without ABS)!
    ***The Sonata also has XM Satellite Radio standard! =)

The Chevy has a few attributes of its own-
    Performance- While the Sonata's 175hp 2.4L 4-cylinder is more than adequate, the Impala's 211hp 3.5L V6 is faster...at the expense of fuel economy, though.
    Powertrain warranty- The Impala has a 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty that is transferable to a 2nd owner. The Sonata's 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty is only valid for the original owner, subsequent owner(s) get 5yrs/60k powertrain coverage.

IMO, the Hyundai is the better looking car of these two (inside and out). My only question is why this car has under 1,000 miles on it and is being sold by a used car dealership?

5. Shane@DARK.

Shane@DARK. Company Representative

Reputations:
    Any thoughts on this 1999 mustang? http://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/1153611897.html

I'm going to try and knock the dealer down to $3500 though, since that's what I have to pay in cash. The listing doesn't state the mileage, so I'm going to head down there either tonight or tomorrow night and find out what it's got.

6. sublime313

sublime313 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the only thing the impala has over the sonata is the v6 engine. although, 175hp isnt THAT bad on a car of that size... anyway, the sonata is 9X better looking IMO. the impala is dull and boring. the sonata has some style. and the sonata basically beats the impala in every other category, too.

7. sublime313

sublime313 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    here's a thought! : dont walk to that used car lot with a pocket full of cash. TAKE YOUR TIME. that car might be a total piece. make sure to have it THOROUGHLY inspected by a 3rd party mechanic. it's worth the $50-150 it will cost you to have it COMPLETELY inspected. if the car is in good shape, mileage is low and you've shopped around other sites and the price is decent, then don't pay $3500!! if it's listen at $3800 i guarantee you could get it for $3000 cash. offer 2800. and when they counter offer tell 'em 3k cash is all you have, period.

8. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's a Hyundai and they've been greta with the recent vehicles, especially the last 3-4 years. A friend of mine picked up a Genesis Coupe for under $30k and that thing is a BEAST!

9. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

The typical response from salesmen (about one year old cars with under 5k miles ) is "They traded it in for another vehicle."

I can also get a new Camry for about the same price as the Impala and Hyundai. The Ford Taurus has been commanding higher prices however.

10. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.