**** OFFICIAL AORUS X5 V8 OWNERS LOUNGE ****

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by LUCKASS, May 12, 2018.

1. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I apologize if my question won't help you in your current situation. I had really been looking at this family of laptops. What prompted you to update the BIOS for FB04? Generally speaking, the rule of thumb is to leave the BIOS alone unless something is broken. Are you still under warranty?

2. Vadim Goncear

Vadim Goncear Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there a way to get that screen calibration .icc file? Or maybe someone could send it?

3. Svegetto

Svegetto Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Each screen has it's own specific file that was generated at the factory when they calibrated the screen, so having someone else's file is not of much help. That's why this is the only thing that you MUST backup or you'll loose it 'forever' (obviously you could generate a new one with a screen calibration tool like Spyder or X-rite, but most people don't have one of those).
    The color profile files are located at C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

4. Rothcall

Rothcall Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking at potentially replacing my AW17 and AW13 with one of these due to CPU limitations, but i have some concerns.

How's the structural rigidity? Amazon reviews of previous Aorus X laptops have notions of screen bezels peeling up and/or swollen batteries under a year, if the first few people who posted here are still around, how's your laptops holding up? And if you've had the misfortune of a unit failure, how is the warranty service? I'd go for a Blade but i'm beyond sketched out by the apparent failure rates and bad service horror stories.

How's the software support? Alienware BIOS updates are all over the place and Dell SupportAssist loves to shove them down your throat if you allow it.

How does overclocking on the 8850H work? Is it unlocked multipliers like previous -HK CPUs where i can ensure a consistent 4GHz on all cores, or underclock them all if i need to? Or is it just a gentle suggestion to the CPU that "hey, maybe you can boost higher on one core maybe sorta please?"

Has anyone ordered it from HIDevolution or GenTechPC? Their LM services seem really tempting but i'd be a little concerned about it if it isnt something they include in warranty incase of damage from being shipped/taken about.

5. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just install the Driver Update and it will get the calibrated profile back. After that just install the Command & Control

6. Svegetto

Reputations:
    Have had no issues regarding rigidity, bezels, and/or swollen battery.
    Software support has been surprisingly ok since the included update manager does a good job of making the process easy so you don't have to hunt for updates from their site.
    I have the 7820HK so can't comment much on 8850H
    I've ordered from GenTechPC before (not this laptop but a previous one) and it was overall very positive experience. Although I haven't used HIDevolution, I've seen nothing but positive things about them on these forums so I wouldn't hesitate from ordering from them either.

7. Svegetto

Reputations:
    This seems wrong unless aorus is keeping a DB on their end that has a copy of every icc and a map to what laptop it belongs to which then gets leveraged by Command & Control to apply it on install, but I seriously doubt that that is the case. This was not the case when I installed a clean version of windows (dual boot); I had to copy over the icc file from the first install, as expected, for it to work.

ike2k likes this.
  8. Billo

Billo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi x5v8 owners,
    A slightly different topic if I may?
    I've recently bought my 2nd aorus from OCUK, an x5v8 and overall, I'm pretty impressed with it. I wanted something lighter for travelling the world and this certainly is!!
    I was wondering if some of you super tech people could advise me on something to do with the BIOS settings? I'm wanting to 'Delete' the 'Secure Boot' facility so I am able to dual boot with Win7 Pro and Win10 Pro. I have read on a view threads elsewhere on the net, there is a possibility of screwing up the BIOS totally if I do this. Have any of you come across this with the Aorus machines, and is it as drastic as some make out if I do delete the Secure Boot?
    Thank you in Advance
    Nigel

9. genocidew

genocidew Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    recently just replaced my stock 2x8gb 2666mhz ram with vengeance 2x16gb 2666mhz.

upon gaming i noticed that the 2nd slot of the ram, runs pretty darn hot. i mean as hot as almost 100 degre celcius. is this normal?

[​IMG]

i swapped the ram to check whether the ram is the trouble, apparently it is the slot that keeps getting hot.

also any one used liquid metal paste on their x5v8?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  10. DexRaid567

DexRaid567 Newbie

Reputations:
    My X5 V8, can only last about 2hrs and I've tried everything, to the point of always being on power saver mode (windows battery saver also on) anytime I'm not charging. The Laptop is supposed to last about 3-4hrs right?