**** OFFICIAL AORUS X5 V8 OWNERS LOUNGE ****

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by LUCKASS, May 12, 2018.

1. iPoohlio

iPoohlio Newbie

Reputations:
    My idea is the same as yours. Something that can last 4 to 5 years.

Decided for the aorus as its using gtx 1070 instead of the max q version.

If you are using it at home more , get the aorus. If you plan to take to take it out very often and use outside , get the aero as it also have optimus to save battery life.

2. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Future proofing is one of those things that is impossible to predict.

With that said, we can make some educated guesses:

The Aero 15x performs within x% of the X5 V8. The main difference is better GPU as well as CPU(and overclockable). The x% better will depend on game to game.

Do you believe this % difference is enough to offset 1 or 2 years of longevity?

My personal opinion is no, you won't get any more meaningful life out of an X5 V8 than an Aero 15X. To put it in another way, from a pure performance perspective, by the time you find your Aero 15X unacceptable, it is most likely your X5 V8 will be as well.

If an Aero 15x is getting only 25 FPS in a triple A game in 2022, then it is likely the X5 V8 is only getting 30, if you catch my drift.

As for heat and thermals, this is a valid consideration. However, by most accounts I've read, the X5 and 15X reach similar thermal levels, with the 15X getting a little warmer on the GPU. However, both laptops have been seen spiking to 90c+ on the CPUs and as far as I've read on NBR, seem pretty similar in that regard.

Laptop coolers, and custom fan profiles will of course mean these results can be influenced one way or the other.

The hot air blowing on the screen is a good question, and I have no answer for you. I don't know what kind of effect this will have on the screen.

Anecdotally, I can say after over a year, nothing has happened to my screen and I load my Aero 15 every single day with a variety of games.

I think at the end of the day, you have to consider your margin of longevity and 'future proofing', and how much you can really account for that.

5 years is a long time for a laptop; but it is doable if you take care of it. I am not certain by any means, this is my opinion, but I do not believe the Aorus X5 V8 is sufficiently prepared physically to outlast the Aero 15X by a margin of even 1 year assuming all else remains equal. The Aero 15X may require a little more tender love and care, and more regular cleaning of the fan vents, but beyond that, I don't see why it should be significantly less durable.

One concern might be the hinge, but that is typically data we don't get until a year or 2 down the line. With that said, the Aero 15 owners lounge has no reports of failed hinges yet.

So in that case, I think in your shoes, I would make my decision based off of the performance and portability profile I want the most, rather than trying to guess at +/- 6 months of extra longevity or what have you.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Novocus likes this.
  3. Novocus

Novocus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would take it to college and go back and foward with it. So you got a point right there.

OMG, thank you, thank you thank you. I understand you point and to be honest, makes TOTALLY sense and im glad that you took the time to write it. Again, thank you. I would say that this comment organised my ideas and gave me a wide and clear idea of what to expect and what to do with my choice. Clearly, Im decided to go and choose the Aero15X, I know if i want to have it for 4-5 years I will spend a bit more of time cleaning it but that something that I dont mind, actually the opposite, I enjoy it. Thank you again because you opened my eyes.

PD: I forgot, you changed the thermal paste? or is the stock one? You bought more ram or something like that?
    Thank you again for your help and the time that took you to write this. I would say if one of the most useful comments that Ive ever seen.

4. CedricFP

Reputations:
    Do you drive to school or take public transport? Or walk?

I ask because I take public transport to work everyday, 2 hours in total, and the Aero 15 itself can feel heavy at times, and the X5 V8 is a little heavier. I'm not talking about a debilitating weight, but an annoying one. If you are doing a lot of standing around at bus stops or train platforms etc. then the portability might be worth a little performance to you.

My first advice is don't take one poster's word for it. What I'm trying to say is don't just believe me as it is just my opinion. Read through the Aero 15 owners lounge, especially the last 30 pages to get an idea of what recent buyers feel of their laptop, and since your opinion is what is most important, you can make a more informed one :)

Unfortunately there is not much information on the X5 V8 yet, but read what you can there, too.

Also look at the alternative laptops that fit what you are looking for. The Aero 15X is not the only thin and light 1070-Max-Q laptop, and the X5 V8 is not the only GTX 1070 not-Max-Q laptop.

In my case, I have liquid metal TIM on my CPU and GPU die. This is a service some retailers like HIDEvolution and GenTechPC will offer.

Upgrading to dual-channel ram is definitely recommended if you can afford it, and if you are concerned about future proofing, if your laptop does not already have dual channel. (Dual Channel means both ram slots populated with identical DIMMS instead of just 1 slot populated. For example, 2x8GB instead of 1x16 etc.)

5. Novocus

Reputations:
    I will walk with it around college and usually a not that long walk from my house to college. But that doesnt mean that I want to have a desktop replacement :biglaugh: So yeah, portability is really appreciated
    I was worried about the performance and you said that I wanted to hear. Because I was thinking that the thermals between those two in reality wasnt too far away and you said so I wasnt wrong. The performance really as you said is a tiny difference which I dont mind by the portability and the looking of it And that is where the another laptops 1070mq either 1070m look ridiculously gaming and flashy or with weird look. Example Zephrus, the MSI its okay but honestly I dont like that dragon. Trust me, I spend LOADS of hours looking for a non-gamer looking laptop. Result? Those ones. The Aorus one looks a bit but is not that flashy with weird accents. Honestly, your point was the last push that I needed to decide.

For the doble ram sticks, there is not doubt about it, I will go straight with 32 gb to have the dual channel.

One question about the LM, how many months(or weeks) you need to make a repaste of it? And how are your thermals in a demanding game? Sorry for bothering you, you dont need to answer if im being annoying with all this questions:mask:

CedricFP likes this.
  6. CedricFP

Reputations:
    I am glad my comments could help you. I do agree about gamery looks, and that's also why I went with the Aero 15. It's still quite an aggressively styled laptop, though, with the edge trim, but it at least isn't flashy.

I purchased mine with the LM TIM already applied, but the actual process itself can be done in half an hour. e-Tailers times will vary so I can't tell you that, best to ask them yourself.

My temps are in my signature for benchmarks (click the link), but for example in BF1, CPU is 86~87c average. GPU will stay around 78~79. This is on the gaming fan profile, but fans can be turned up even higher if you use a custom fan profile.

However do keep in mind mine is the old Aero 15 so only a quad core and GTX 1060.

7. Novocus

Reputations:
    Okay, so they are decent temps for a laptop of that size and power. I`ll go with the Aero, Im 100 sure about it. Thank you, really. I`ll be in touch when I got mine.( First I need start saving to have it haha)

CedricFP likes this.
  8. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you wanna have greater performance, huger disk space for game, also the best screen w/G-Sync or NVIDIA Surround built, go for X5
    If you wanna awesome mobility with the laptop and is not quite performance addicted, go for AERO