*** OFFICIAL AORUS X5 V6 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Arvindr56789, Dec 3, 2016.

1. willhub

willhub Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's on customize, "auto maximum"

2. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In that case speak to Atom80 on the other forum.

3. Shauryya Pratap Mishra

Shauryya Pratap Mishra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can someone help with this issue?

I recently installed overwatch and somewhere during installation I got the Server Busy pop-up.
    Cancel and X options are greyed out and you can only click Switch To... and Retry button.
    These buttons do nothing and this message appears every 5 mins now.
    What do I do?

Attached Files:

4. bwolmarans

bwolmarans Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Aorus enthusiasts. Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, so if anyone knows the right thread to post in, please let me know, and I'll toast this post and go post in the right forum or thread, or prehaps if you think I need to go post somewhere else entirely like overclockers or guru3d please let me know. I have looked in both of those and joined those forums but I don't see an obvious place to put my question.
    And I've done a lot of searching on this site and other sites too.

Anyway, in case this is the right thread ( it seems there is only one giant thread for x5v6 )

I'm having a problem with the GPU crashing on x5v6 for about 3 months now.
    It crashes frequently in games such as overwatch, fallout 4, and now, apex legends.
    Strangely I can't get it to crash in furmark after 5 minutes, maybe I'm being lazy and not waiting long.

I have command and control all overclock on cpu and gpu all smallest, everything to the far left.
    I found using afterburner and underclocking the gpu and memory all the way to the left helps a bit, makes me be able to run once or twice before it crashes again.
    Without afterburner, it will crash every game.

I posted another thread in the hardware forum, was advised to upload a hw64 log, and other forum members read that log and then advised to maybe get a larger power supply, which I did, I now have a 230W power supply. But I still have the problems.

Crashing is laptop freezes, get yellow verticle lines quite often, or screen of artifacts, sometimes screen just goes black, sound card goes haywire with loud buzzing sound, and laptop reboots itself.

I am uploading an example of a Hw64 log here (attached as a zip) in case that is going to be the first thing you want to see.
    In looking at this log, I see two things under GPU that are look likely. I have not logged a lot of the columns because those log files get huge, so just limiting it to columns to do with voltage, power, and a few other columns.

There is no thermal issue, thermals are low.
    So the only thing I see is under "performance limit - power" I see it is all "no" but then right before crash it starts changing to "yes".
    You can see watts is never more than 102watts on the gpu.

dumb question: do laptop gpu's "die" ? if so, is this what the dying symptoms look like, what I am seeing?

thanks.

Attached Files:

• 6.zip
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Shauryya Pratap Mishra

Reputations:
    Go to afterburner and press ctrl+F to bring up the Voltage curve
    after that press shift and drag the curve all the way down
    then runn fallout
    it may be that your GPU my be unstable due to poor binning
    if that works then keep dragging the curve up to see where you crash
    just below it will be where your gpu may be stable

also did you try using DDU to uninstall your drivers in safe mode and then installing a fresh version?
    It could be a driver issue

bwolmarans likes this.
  6. bwolmarans

Reputations:
    I used DDU several times, yes.
    I should note that this problem did not occur during the first two years of owning this laptop, the problem started 3 months ago. I do install latest nvidia drivers, not the very old ones recommended by "drivers update".
    I will try the fan curve and report. thank you.

7. bwolmarans

Reputations:
    The fan curve trick, tedious as it is to click those tiny dots and move them all, seems to be working. I am really thankful, thank you. I wonder why in my other post, 3 months ago, nobody suggested that? Maybe I didn't provide enough data, wrong data. I am hoping I don't have to buy another laptop, and this permanently fixes it. Will that fan curve stay like that for next time, or do I have to make it each time?

8. Shauryya Pratap Mishra

Reputations:
    Press shift and then drag the thing down after clicking on the flat area of the graph

bwolmarans likes this.
  9. bwolmarans

Reputations:
    So I am still getting crashes but MUCH more infrequently. I think I had my first one of the day just now. Before, it was crashing every 3rd game. Again, thank you so much. Now as far as root cause, is the problem the power bus/power components on my laptop motherboard going bad, or do you think the GPU itself is going bad? Either way, if this is a hardware problem, is the solution to basically stop using this laptop or gaming, or is it possible to fix this type of hardware issue? And how common is it to have a laptop GPU ( in this case a 1070 ) go bad after a couple of years? I don't run at excessive heats for long times.

10. Shauryya Pratap Mishra

Reputations:
    IDK but try troubleshooting the problem by isolating the cause of the problem by eliminating the source of the issue
    Try undervolting the CPU and see whether that is the cause of the problem

IDK about GPUs going bad and I think the best thing would be to start a ticket with Aorus RMA