*** OFFICIAL AORUS X5 V6 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Arvindr56789, Dec 3, 2016.

1. tyrannosaurus_rex

tyrannosaurus_rex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm more concerned by the people around me when it comes to noise. Notebookreview says there's automatic throttling apparently.

hmscott likes this.
  2. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I only get throttling if I run the fans at a slower RPM to keep the noise down. 35% fans are quiet, some throttling but still getting 60+ fps in FC Primal.

3. tyrannosaurus_rex

tyrannosaurus_rex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's some inbuilt tool for fan speed right?

4. Arvindr56789

Arvindr56789 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes you can control the fan speed. Aorus provides software for that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah Fan Control in the Command Centre App.

6. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine is being shipped as we speak.

I'm actually downgrading from the Clevo P775DM3-G
    It's way too heavy, large, the build quality is not as good as major brands offer.
    I'm going from a 6700k and GTX 1080 with the 3K 120hz screen to the aorus x5 v6 and I'm excited.

I don't game at 4k and I never used the power I had.
    I could lock all four cores to 4.2+ GHz...But I don't think I'll miss that.
    The aorus is literally the only laptop I would even consider because of the 6820hk/1070 combination...Matched with the 120hz screen at 15.6"
    From my research there is no other laptop like that.

MiSJAH likes this.
  7. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Took forever to come. But I've got it and these are my initial impressions....

Very slim, even though I was expecting that. Feels and looks great.
    FHD 120hz screen isn't perfect...Some gamma issues and a bit of a blue tinge. Certainly could use a good calibration.
    I've had the 3K 120hz 5ms (x7 V6/p775dm3)screen and found that it was not as fast as 5ms. Notebookcheck has a review of that screen which states that as well.

I'm happy to say that this 15.6" 5ms screen is truly fast. I've had the X34 and ROG 27" monitors which were fast and this feels just like that!
    I'm confident that once more of these screens go around there will be some testing which will prove the response rate of the panel.

Touchpad:. Coming from the MSI titan sli touchpad and the standard Clevo issue touchpad...I'll give this Aorus one a 10/10. Wow, what a relief to have a premium feeling experience everytime i use it.

Keyboard is alright, no real complaints. Travel is better than Clevo anyway.
    I'm not the rainbow pulsating breathing keyboard kind of guy so I'll skip that part.

Fan control-. Finally a fully adjustable fan profile. Any ℅ maximum you choose. Even automatic with a ℅ maximum fan as well.
    On full max fan this is quieter than the P775DM3 and Cooler booster 3 on MSI.
    It's a wooshing of air sound. Relaxing, effective. None of that whining or bearing sounds that Clevo crappy fans can have.

CPU- i gave up a 6700k for the 6820hk to have a half as thick laptop and alot less weight...No regrets so far...The command center is great! Easily choose 4.0ghz and use hardware info to show that all 4 cores are in fact overclocked.
    I'm going to sell this within two years...I don't need a silicone lottery/ non-bga cpu. I don't compete in benchmarks. It was important for me to properly identify what kind of consumer I am. I am ok with BGA as long as it's overclockable and doesn't overheat while it's holds that clock.

GPU, - I only play a few games and they max out at 120fps on ultra so it's difficult to compare to my P775DM3 with the GTX 1080.( Which I'm happily selling)

Sound is good. This is the first laptop I've seen with speaker on the sides as well as the top. The stereo effect is quite prominent. In shooting games I can really tell where the sounds are coming from.
    The subwoofer does seem to work, just enough punch for a little laptop.

Performance- I'm not going to say this is the perfect laptop but it's what I wanted. A powerful portable package that is made with pride and style. Gigabyte knows how to make a motherboard for this unit and get the most out of it. The cooling solution seems very well done. I notice the cpu idles in the 30's overclocked to 4.0ghz while the GPU actually idles in the high 40's. This surprised me a little.
    I've only had time to play one game and the fans didn't seem to go very high compared to their maximum. ( I was sitting it on a cooler).
    Temps were in the 60's.. I haven't tried 1440p on any monitors yet so I don't think I've taxed the GPU much.

I sent an email to Aorus asking what thermal paste they use on the GPU/cpu...No response yet.

I'm going to order a 230 watt PSU from Aorus. I'd like to have faith in gigabytes motherboard magic but 200 watts just seems low for a 6820/1070 combination.
    One bonus is that the power adapter has a unusually long Cord length between the adapter and the laptop.
    I can actually put the adapter on the floor beside my desk while it's plugged into the laptop. Maybe that's normal for some but I haven't had such luck yet.

In a few months I'll post another review of my opinion. Please note this is a first 24 hour review...So I don't really know this machine well.

P.s
    The little 3M stick on retractable feet that come with the lappy are pretty neat. I'm surprised more manufacturers don't offer that.

Also, you kind of have to like orange!

8. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for that breakdown @knibbler. Along with @MiSJAH, you guys have posted informative reviews.

How do you find the weight/portability of the laptop? To me, since it seems a little deeper than most laptops due to the forward sitting hinge and the exhaust grills at the back, that it compromises a little in that department?

MiSJAH likes this.
  9. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We've both come from larger and heavier machines but I find it easy to carry around. I did a 16 hour day sight seeing in London with my X5 in a backpack and forgot it was there most of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CedricFP likes this.
  10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:

What about the screen from a productivity perspective? Don't care to much for color accuracy unless it is very off but graininess, low brightness, poor viewing angles etc are a killer. What about battery times? I guess yours is a GSync version as it has the 120 hz panel? Only GSync available in my part of the world, would really prefer to get one with optimus support instead.