*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Well the short response is every video I watched showed basically no difference between thunderbolt 3 to 4 in games. Like literally Marin of error. And if you dig up AGA videos it pretty consistently won with much better in performance. There were cases here and there where the thunderbolt egpu won but that was far a few between. So AGA would’ve still been king. But it likely never sold enough to keep making since it was Alienware only. Maybe if someone makes a proper thunderbolt 4 egpu we might see better results. As it stands the proprietary ones still show the most promise as Asus has shown with the Flow x13.

Gumwars and etern4l like this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There would be no difference in eGPU performance between TB3 and TB3.1 (a.k.a. 4) per se, however, there should be an improvement due to the direct CPU-TB3 link from TL onwards.

3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I do hope so. If someone can get it right and you can barely see the difference between an egpu setup and a proper desktop setup I can easily seeing many people getting in on it. Myself included. ;)

Clamibot, etern4l and chewbakaats58 like this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    One other problem with the eGPUs currently on the market is poor cooling and limited size compatibility. Typically you are best off sticking with the mythical 2x blower designs Nvidia keeps showing on their website to annoy people, or you can go to 2.2 maybe but the really huge gaming cards going up to 3x can be a problem. Of course, users can always mod their eGPUs, which is much easier done than modding a laptop to convert an M.2 slot to eGPU :)

Terreos likes this.
  5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Think that’s why Razer went with the larger design for the newer core. Much better gpu compatibility. I had the slimmer model for awhile and that was a nightmare to fight anything above standard size in it. Haven’t messed with an egpu since then.

etern4l likes this.
  6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I look at Dell like I look at my degenerate brother.

Not sitting here hoping he(they) fail but Im done hoping they will deliver on expectation. They are great for the masses I suppose but one question in the customers head and they itchy before they realized the rash.

raz8020, Terreos, 0lok and 5 others like this.
  7. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And maybe you can add: BYE BYE cool gaming laptop. (this will overheat or be slow for sure)

8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Considering you couldn’t even upgrade the gpu from the first gen to the second it’s not that much of a lose. ;):eek:

Normimb and etern4l like this.
  9. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    The X will be interesting...

bsch3r and Vistar Shook like this.
  10. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agreed, it will be designed to work with this new type of thermal paste, traditional paste will definitely not be sufficient.... So untill they sell this new paste separately there will be no tear downs, unless you plan to re-paste with LM....

I'm excited, good chance I will order one. I like taking my 51m to the beach house, but it's getting tiring lugging it on and off planes.

Flying Endeavor, iunlock and MogRules like this.