*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Well you quoted my argument, so Im not really needed here? Really convenient lol

2. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, you still need to answer that last question. lol

Even with your personal definition of a trained professional, and also knowing that at least the last technician that serviced my laptop had to take the Dell certification exams without it being open notes, that there is a more stringent process with stricter requirements in selecting individuals to serve as field technicians here in my country, and there are even trainees being sent out to observe field repairs at times alongside already certified technicians, do you not regard these people as Trained Professionals?

Since that is pretty much how this all started. So please answer that last question cause if you don't, then that is quite telling.

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I already had done so, you just didnt include the context where your service technician was afraid of opening your laptop. Does that speak of someone that is trained? Or does that speak of someone inexperienced? If you still consider that to be trained, then perhaps the training is inadequate. In that I suppose you could argue semantics and say training is training regardless of skill(s) (or lack thereof) obtained.

My argument is already laid bare, until actual counter points are provided there isnt much for me to speak on. Even in your last line "pretty much how this all started", which means its not definitively what started this argument. What started the argument was my assertion that training from Dell hardly qualifies as such, you counter by stating things are more difficult in your environment and as such standards should be lower. That is your position, not mine to defend. My problem is that words shouldnt be redefined to suit our arguments, you should just use the appropriate words, there are plenty to choose from.

Now you assume that these Techs are from Dell themselves, which is also highly unlikely as Dell doesnt hire directly for these positions, typically contract or more commonly subcontract via Agency so that they dont have to pay the additional expenses. So I would ask if they are a part of a Dell Partner or Premier program which would be vastly different from the typical candidates but would also grant more credence to the people you come across. They could very well be a part of those programs, but since you hadnt mentioned them I am left to assume otherwise.

etern4l likes this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How on Earth do you know that the relevant technicians in the Philippines do the job properly? Let's assume you were able to stringently assess the quality of the work on your own machine, even though you are not qualified yourself. That's just one data point.

Reciever likes this.
  5. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    As I stated earlier, pretty much everyone is afraid to open up expensive laptops here due to the costs associated with such devices. That does not mean they are not trained and not professional enough to handle such devices. The Dell Tech I spoke to just told me that when I asked him if he was afraid of Alienwares, and he simply responded with, everyone is. Cause one Alienware = a years worth of salary for them. So I could understand their concerns but they are still trained professionals who are capable of doing their jobs properly since again, they have the necessary skillsets to perform such tasks.

And based on my latest experience with them:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...17-owners-lounge.826893/page-41#post-11096304

And as for the training, the seminars and modules they had to attend to be DELL Certified does count towards their training to become Field technicians that could service Dell laptops here.

That last part, I hadn't really gotten deeper into it but the identification tag at least for the last Dell Tech that serviced me, it was for Dell EMC.

If they didn't, then my laptop wouldn't be functioning properly at all, nor even turn on. And of course, in the post I made in the M17 Owners thread, that is already an indication that the work done on my laptop was successful. He opened up the laptop, replaced the heatsink and fans, repasted, and done in less than 45 minutes. That is of course with me interrupting him every now and then to take pictures of the insides of my laptops for my own personal record.

6. etern4l

Reputations:
    The technician who worked on my laptop wasn't afraid to open it, quite the opposite!

There is a lot of fine detail you wouldn't be able to pick up on, given you had no prior experience with that kind of work. The fact that the laptop turned on or even functioned according to your expectations (which were probably fairly low given the nightmare you had gone through), are necessary but not sufficient conditions for the work to be deemed high quality. Strictly speaking.
    Of course, you were in a bad situation, and it's good that Dell helped you on that occassion. That said, I hope you agree that it would be better not to have to go through the exercise again :D

Reciever likes this.
  7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Those same fears are just as prevalent here as they are anywhere else. You destroy some C level employee's laptop because you are afraid to break it will get you black listed here just like anywhere else. Ive been opening up laptops for well over a decade now. You are granting excuses to your countryman that arent afforded to anyone else in this field but still want to call them "trained Professionals" despite having direct experience watching a Technician being afraid to service your machine. That good sir, is called a double standard at best and bigotry of low expectations at worst.

Dell EMC doesnt really narrow it down at all, my IT Director is Dell EMC certified and cant repair a laptop to save his life. Why? Because his specific certifications have nothing to do with repair and more to do with Servers and infrastructure. Its like saying that someone is Microsoft certified, without pointing to what it is, its just words without the content.

raz8020, Rei Fukai and etern4l like this.
  8. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    And do understand, my M17 is 3,000 USD laptop when I first got it, and minimum wage here which is what a lot of folks here get paid is only at around 3,000 USD yearly. The price of this one laptop is equal to someone's yearly salary.

Of course, no arguments there. But it is inevitable however given the last time the laptop was serviced or even opened, was back in 2019. The thermal paste have all dried up and there is nothing that could really be done to prevent that. What matters to me is that they actually sent someone who is trained and professional enough to fulfill the work required to get my laptop back up and running. And the Dell Techs who serviced my laptop fulfilled just that.

I have no reason to doubt them nor degrade them given they did the work properly. With regards to my expectations, it actually exceeded them funny enough. It is like I got this system brand new, which I am pleasantly surprised over.

9. etern4l

Reputations:
    Like I said: your expectations were understandably low, therefore they were easily exceeded. I had a somewhat similar experience (expected a total mess), but at the end of the day would rather the laptop didn't require any Dell service, as the work wasn't performed with the same care and diligence I would apply.

Reciever likes this.
  10. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    I could understand why they are scared to open up the laptop of course, but they are still trained and fully capable of servicing the laptop hence why I still entrusted mine to them despite their fears. It is human nature afterall. And I would share that same understanding even for folks in other nations who services laptops who is concerned to open one up but is still trained to do so. I just used my nation as an example, since I am pretty much defending my countrymen here (at least the Dell Techs here) to begin with.

Personally, I also have a touch of concern everytime I sit in front of the radar screen at work since a mistake could mean a possible disaster of two planes colliding midflight. Does that make me any less qualified to do my job? A job that I have been trained for and granted certifications to do? Not really cause I am still doing it.

As with DELL EMC, the Technician who serviced my laptop did so professionally and the results I got were satisfactory. He was certified to service Dell laptops, and he delivered. What more can one ask for? Not be afraid? That is human nature.

And I went back our posts again, and the argument pretty much started right here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...e-and-discussion.835993/page-21#post-11099826

So you pretty much stated that you doubt I or anybody else (since you said you) would be able to find any trained professionals at Dell. And I responded with pretty much my personal experiences with the Dell Technicians in my country who serviced my laptop and that they are trained professionals. And you pretty much based your arguments there on the fact he admitted to being scared of opening a laptop right after.

So it rolled on with me, defending my countrymen from your statements that they are not trained professionals. I tried to counter that with of course, stating the selection process here is much more stringent. In which you brought up the whole certification thing and how you do not regard it as legitimate because it was "open book" at least for you. Again, over here, it is not open book and they had to attend the seminars and answer the questionnaires without a cheat sheet.

You again bring up the fact that they are afraid to open up a laptop.. Again, human nature. Especially if you know what would happen if you screw up, but again, they still did it based on their training.

So you then brought up your personal definition of a trained professional, well, the Dell Techs who serviced my laptop still fall within your definition of what a trained professional should be.

And you again bring up how the Dell certifications are pointless since it is open book, but again, different environment over here. It is not open book, and I also spoke to someone else on the Alienware Discord who is a Dell Certified Technician and he too said his was not open book. He is not Filipino btw, based on his accent, I assume he is British. Again, could be different standards.

You even stated that "Our expectations differ due to our environments as they should. Its not as though I am not accounting for that." So again, take that into account. Based on your definitions, the Dell techs here are in fact, trained professionals, which you initially say they aren't.

And I am not putting words into your mouth, just scroll up or look earlier into the posts and you would see that. I am mostly defending my countrymen based on my posts, whilst you are mostly discrediting them.

You're arguing on the merit, okay, but based on your merit already, the Dell Techs here are indeed, Trained Professionals which is what I have been saying all along. They wouldn't be servicing Dell laptops if they were'nt.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    bretlyt and Gumwars like this.