*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. rr92zer

rr92zer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you know this realtek driver number ?

2. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    thats a defective speaker. I knew mine was not the speaker because my vibration and distortion noises would go away and soon as I pressed on the corner of the laptop where the speaker is. Just have Dell send you a new speaker. If they send a tech, tell the tech you will do the swap yourself and will send the bad speaker back. Most techs agree and just drop the parts off at your door.

3. cym104

cym104 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes and this is already my 2nd speaker unit. I have a 3rd speaker unit currently on the way.

Do you get the vibrations all the time? Mine only happens when playing sound frequencies near the default windows notification sound (and also the default outlook new mail notification sound).

4. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    its very specific tones that activate it. Some voices in games do it. The windows 10 sounds did it as well but the windows 11 sounds do not. As soon as I touch the bottom right corner of the laptop and lightly press, the vibration sound goes away.

5. JinTexas

JinTexas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New realtek driver released on the X17 support page for all the good it did. And again I am annoyed that my tiny Apple Airpod Pros which are a lot smaller then the X17 speakers sound so much better. And why do the old generic realtek drivers have so many more controllable options? The realtek audio console is just pathetic.

6. JinTexas

Reputations:
    And unrelated, I wanted to give my son a PS5 for Christmas but I don't have time to chase one down so I decided to upgrade his PC that is so old it won't pass a windows 11 upgrade test. I gave him a choice of an Alienware laptop or desktop and he chose desktop. It kills me to buy a prebuilt system but the only way to not get screwed on the GPU cost was to go that route. I really wish Dell didn't use proprietary system parts because I prefer to watercool everything and I doubt I could find a waterblock that would work on the Dell video cards. I chose a 12th gen Core i5 which has already been reviewed as the best current gaming CPU and an RTX 3070. Supposedly it will arrive by December 16th and I hope Dell doesn't screw my son's Christmas. This desktop is gonna smoke my X17 for a $1000 cheaper. I'll upgrade the system drive and ram as soon as DDR5 memory becomes available. 8gb of memory is terrible but we all know Dell uses the cheapest stock memory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  7. JinTexas

Reputations:
    Why does Dell purposely come up with ways to complicate issues? I'm referring to the ability to overclock on the fly through the Alienware command center. But not any longer. Now when you make an adjustment it requires a system boot to go in affect. Must have something to do with the recent fusion update. Normally I don't overclock anything accept for my memory setting to XMP. If you could call that overclocking but now if you overclock through the command center it disabled the BIOS XMP setting which requires reboot to reactivate it. Also when you overclock through the command center it requires a reboot to go into affect. so they went from on the fly overclocking with command center to 2 reboots. Make the change then reboot. Do your business then reboot to turn it off and re-enable XMP. Why Dell has those 2 functions together in the BIOS is stupid. That is one I'll give to Asus. At least on their motherboards overclocking memory and the CPU are exclusive functions. Also, why go through the trouble of allowing us to adjust the memory and clock speeds but not give any control for the timing. The ability to tweak the timing settings is where the magic really happens. Dell just allows overclocking for dummies. And while I'm on the subject, why does my old 64gb of GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 smoke the hell out of all the DDR5 benchmarks I've been seeing? In all regards. Speed and latency. OK, yes my memory was quadcore but that is all the more reason for these damn pc makers to stop pigeon holding us. And, of course my ability to tweak the timing. One last thing before I'm done ranting. Prior to using that GSkill 3200 I had GSkill 2400 CL16. After Upgrading the memory my 3dmark scores in every benchmark improved over 45%. And that is no exaggeration. Some people here know but others might not realize exactly just how important good memory is for system performance. A 45% improvement by upgrading my memory is much more then I ever expected. At the time. If Dell was really serious about allowing their systems to reach their full potential they could start by enabling quad core memory and allow more flexibility with overclocking, Such as memory timings. Another perfect example of how great hardware is hindered by crap firmware.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  8. cym104

Reputations:
    bad news: i got the replacement speaker unit and it's got the exact same vibrations with default windows 10 sounds, just like the 2 before it.

9. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    Are you sure it’s not the speaker resonating in the chassis? Are you testing it by just holding the speaker itself away from the chassis?

10. cym104

Reputations:
    Yes.
    Did the same test with the 2 previous speaker units too. All same result.
    The first thing I checked was the speaker mounts after seeing pics posted by others, and those were already installed properly.
    Something I also noticed is that it only happens on the right speaker at volume > 50%, and becomes generally noticeable above 70%, while the left speaker is always fine.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021