*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-raptor-lake-24-core-rumour/
    You mean Intel will let AMD once again take the whole cake and eat it too' right before they release Raptor Lake a few months after? You mean they haven't learned anything from the past 4 years? Won't happen.

2. EyeOfTheBeholder

EyeOfTheBeholder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you look at the Alder Lake desktop previews that appeared everywhere yesterday, it's certainly looks like Alder Lake will surpass Tiger Lake. Efficiency core will help battery life in the notebook space. Tiger Lake is not a bad platform, just too close to Alder Lake. And Alder Lake being a new architecture, it will need a lot of engineering resources at Intel and OEMs, so I guess Tiger Lake will be treated like a step-child from now on when it comes to (engineering not customer) support and fixing thing.
    8 additional efficiency cores won't help gaming performance much (To see why, compare Ryzen 7 5800x with Ryzen 7 5950x gaming performance). I guess we will see notebook CPUs with 8 performance cores for raptor lake, which will help. (There are rumors of an Alder Lake-H55 notebook CPU configuration with 8 performance and 8 efficiency cores coming out Q2'22). Apart from that performance gains will come from cache and frequency improvements. But, of course, we will see some major gains from new GPU architectures (RTX 40xx and RDNA3). But the new GPUs probably won't arrive in notebooks until Q2'23.
    Developing CPUs isn't exactly a fast business. I'm not sure there is so much that Intel can do. The updated Zen3 plus V-Cache are rumored to bring about 15% performance gains in games. This will put it close to Alder Lake's performance but not necessarily ahead if Intel's slides are correct. So this should be fine for Intel. But when Zen4 arrives in Q4'22, I'm not sure Raptor Lake will fare so good. Especially in the notebook sector where AMD is rumored to put 16 Zen4 performance cores into it's high performance notebook chips. Meteor Lake (14th gen) however is said to deliver some massive gains. Interesting times.

Clamibot, Darkhan and etern4l like this.
  3. cym104

cym104 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's a good news meaning less nerf patches.

4. JinTexas

JinTexas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Windows 11 has finally fixed the WIFI issues with killer drivers. I have about 48 devices in my home all sharing WIFI bandwidth including two 4K TV's that are almost always streaming 4K content. So this is about 70Mbps better then before.

Attached Files:

5. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So since I’ll be hooked to an AC adapter and not mobile for the next few months, what’s a good custom charge mode to set for battery health? I was thinking around 60 percent state of charge would be optimal? In custom mode I have it set to start charging at 60 and stop at 65

6. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    Also, what has everyone done to stop certain low tones from the speaker from resonating in the chassis and causing a distorted vibration sound? Someone said the o rings holding the speakers may need to be reseated and that it’s a common issue.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I noticed Dell removed the RTX 3080 from their website for the X17/X15

8. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Why shoulde they destroy sales in Nov and Dec to be able to deliver new refershed laptops in Feb/March? And current 3080 is on GA104. Whitch mean cheaper in-prices for Dell. Why kill the milking cow? BGA is meant to reduce stock of parts and cut costs.

Edit. Dell still list and sell models with 3080 in other countries as etc Norway.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    c69k, HaloGod2012 and etern4l like this.
  10. EyeOfTheBeholder

EyeOfTheBeholder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Utsolgt means Sold Out. ;-)

Papusan and etern4l like this.