*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Good point and I feel your pain with selling things at a loss, but that's just how things go with highly depreciating items like PC hardware. There definitely is value in owning and enjoying something "NOW" rather than waiting and waiting and waiting, because the same dilemma of something new coming out will always be there.

Getting a hold of the current hardware is another story.

I'm still so impressed with my 17R4 with the GTX 1080. It games just fine. Even more impressed are my 1080Ti's that still holds its own.

It's a very interesting scenario right now between all the stuff going on. NVIDIA knows that it can milk the 30 series for a long long long time...it's hard to imagine how these companies can even think of a 40 series, when they can't even meet the demand of the 30 series.

The current hardware will remain relevant for a lot longer than usual.

electrosoft and etern4l like this.
  2. JinTexas

JinTexas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do that with my iPhones. Smart phones have become so expensive that I'll skip 1 or 2 generations before upgrading. I just Paid off my son's iPhone12 pro, three apple watch 6's, his Samsung S7+ tablet, and my 12th gen 12.9" Ipad pro. All those devices are on my Verizon account, and was costing me $460 a month. With the payoff my monthly bill dropped to $220. The only item I have left to pay off is my Iphone 12 pro max which I'll pay off after Christmas. I want as little debt as possible before the inflation increase hits us in Texas. I also have only 15 more payments on my factory ordered 2019 Corvette which only has 5700 miles on it. My last big purchase was this Alienware X17 for $3100 and I have no intention of upgrading for 3-4 more years if possible. I only mention my divorce because it took that extreme to make me have no other choice but to tear down my PC. But on a side note I got the house with all the equity, 100% of the community property, and full custody of my teenage son whose turning 18 in January. She got to keep her Mercedes until she lost it after a DUI. And she got COVID in September. Karma is not her friend :D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    electrosoft likes this.
  3. JinTexas

Reputations:
    So in our present situation being an early purchaser had the advantage. I'm only saying because didn't he or someone say that the 12th gen Intel mobile CPU wouldn't be available until late 2022? That's a long time to wait for something that will likely be in short supply.

4. EyeOfTheBeholder

EyeOfTheBeholder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You can thank PS4 and XB1 for that. Last-Gen compatibility is still holding back games. But if you look at current-gen games, things don't look so good. The best example I have played is Cyberpunk. I only get FPS in the low 20s @ 2560x1600 with decent settings on my 7720 (E3-1535M and P5000). Currently games like Cyberpunk are few and far between, but I expect this will start to change next year.
    I agree that nVidia 30xx series will remain relevant for the next 2-3 year (40xx series is rumored to come in Q4 22 with at least double performance on desktop). But I think that Tiger Lake is already yesterday's news. If Alder Lake (performance) notebooks arrive early, we won't see much support for Tiger Lake platforms any more, I'm afraid.

5. EyeOfTheBeholder

Reputations:
    Alder Lake will probably be early, not late. Indication are that we already have 12900HK benchmarks leaks and the leaked Intel roadmap. Tiger Lake H45 was pretty late. Benchmark leaks only started in May 2021.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    DreDre and Papusan like this.
  6. JinTexas

Reputations:
    Especially since Nvidia's CEO said that they weren't going to release any upgrades for 2022.

7. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    alder lake and the usual super refresh will most likely come in Q1 2022. Asus and MSI are usually first followed by alienware 1 to 3 months later. I can guarantee my life on it we won’t see gaming laptops with high end alder lake this year. Alder lake is already old news if we go off some peoples logic. We have competition in the CPU/GPU space now like back in the old days, so expect new releases every few months while they battle it out between AMD, intel, and Nvidia.

Papusan, etern4l and electrosoft like this.
  8. EyeOfTheBeholder

Reputations:
    I have to disagree. Alder Lake will have a much longer shelf life than Tiger Lake in the performance notebook space, if it arrives in Q1'22.
    Raptor Lake (Intel 13th gen) is about one year off with performance notebooks probably arriving in Q1'23 and it's only a minor upgrade to Alder Lake with Gracemont performance cores mostly staying the same and more and updated Golden Cove efficiency cores according to rumors.
    AMD will bring updated Zen3 plus V-Cache early next year and Zen4 in Q4 although it's not clear when it will arrive in mobile space.

9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Looks like a shortage of the 16GB 3080 variant, other models with the 8GB version are available.

10. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    This is where technology like DLSS come into play. For the purest like me I like to run things as native as possible, pushing the hardware to the fullest and making it sweat. ie...I don't use DLSS, but it does serve a purpose to make things possible.

I can run 4K just fine in most games with little to no tweaks. There are some settings that I normally turn down anyway like motion blur etc...

Tiger Lake mobile was a pretty nice leap in the mobile field and like with previous gen mobile CPUs, it'll game just fine. I think the 10nm 11th Gen Mobile CPUs IMO are fantastic.

Between the various circumstances of the world, stuff hitting the fan, production, competition etc... we're in a strange phase with tech, refresh cycles etc... because it's not normal right now. ie... as mentioned NVIDIA can milk the crap out of the 30 series and still maintain that huge grin all the way to the bank.

Honestly, can't blame them. There's so much more money to be made with the 30 series. Just add Ti's to the end of the numbers and if they can produce it, people will gobble it up. It's a double edge sword in a weird way.

Having AMD finally re-entering the field again with mobile CPUs is quite refreshing. I think the 11th gen Mobile CPUs have a lot of life to it and for most it's still preferred over AMD. The 11th gen mobile is also in a unique position, because we don't know if the BigLittle of Alder lake will be a success or a flop in laptops or heck even in desktops with multi-core performance. A lot has been promised, but I think it'll be interesting how Intel battles out their 12th gen against AMD.

We won't know until we know... Pretty exciting.