*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    But there is a fix:vbbiggrin: @unclewebb has the tool for this if Dell's engineers don't stop you from using it with nasty firmware. And you also have the TCC Offset to handle 100C.

upload_2021-6-9_16-39-43.png
    M17R4 getting hot after Updates

As a sidenote. Not so sure Liquid metal will provide better temps with this gen Aw models due use of the new Element 31 thermal paste.

Edit.
    A warning about high Power usage is also a nice feature, LOOL

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    raz8020, ole!!!, Clamibot and 3 others like this.
  2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think you misread, but thats the idea for alienware. throttled by temperature.

pathfindercod and etern4l like this.
  3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    AW give world record overclocker a run for their money, in the opposite direction. underclocker

4. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I found a warning in the servicing manual not to use alcohol cleaning pads in the area of the element 31 to clean up because it would dissolve the silicone and spread metal particles around the motherboard...

That said, everyone has been asking them to do something useful for thermal transfer, so they did. I have to wonder if Asus doesn't have a few dead machines out there due to attempting to "machine apply" the stuff.

DreDre, Clamibot and etern4l like this.
  5. DreDre

DreDre Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So the user can not repaste. Wow

ole!!! likes this.
  6. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Currently viewing the QNA about the X17 in the Alienware Discord channel. Key takeaways for me are:

According the AW product manager, the X17 would come with a vapor chamber, but the X15 would not. Still not sure if all configurations would have it however.

The Element 31 Thermal Solution would only be for the CPU, and not the GPU. Alienware expects it to last the entire lifespan of the laptop, and it should not require a respasting. I am concerned however with the GPU since it would only be using normal thermal paste and that might dry up eventually requiring a repaste.. which would in turn also require a repaste for the CPU too....

(Like when I had my M17 R1 serviced due to Severe thermal issues, the thermal paste for both my CPU and GPU were dried up, thermal paste was IC Diamond too. Though to be fair.. It was applied back in 2019. )

The M Series would be Dark Side of the Moon whilst the X series would be lunar white.

Another user asked if the DELL Technicians on the field would also be supplied with Element 31 as well as get training on how to apply Liquid Metal on the laptop... No response on that one. O-o No way am I applying Liquid Metal on anything on my own.. I would not even dare open up any laptop this expensive, I would prefer a trained professional to do it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Doubt you will find any trained professionals from Dell

raz8020, DreDre, XxAcidSnowxX and 4 others like this.
  8. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Well, to be fair, the Dell Technician that serviced my laptop previously is actually a computer engineer. He did a good job at servicing my laptop, even though he was personally scared of handling Alienwares, with how expensive these are My M17 R1 was actually the second Alienware he serviced, but it turned out just fine. Of course that is only using standard Thermal Paste... (Noctua NT H1), and not Liquid metal. That guy is way more trained and professional at handling these things than I would ever be... that is for sure.

Papusan likes this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's possible that Dell can afford more qualified engineers in the Philippines. I assume you haven't forgotten the hell you went through to get your laptop sorted - took months, didn't it?

10. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:

Well, which one? Just getting it to the Philippines? That was not Dell's Fault... more of... my country's Customs Bureau being their usual corrupt selves.... And yeah.. labor is cheap here... Sadly... And people already have a hard time finding jobs as it is that most are willing to accept whatever just to have a salary.

If it was for the Mobo, that actually was my own fault... Not Dell's. I thought there was something wrong with the SSD module since it could not take a third SSD, and DELL still sent in a Technician to replace the motherboard and make sure there was nothing wrong with the unit. As it turned out, there was nothing wrong with the unit and I just made a mistake in assuming the laptop could take a third SSD when it could only handle two at a time.

And of course, they still had to ship the parts here since this laptop is not officially available in my country, and yet they still honored the warranty and sorted it out anyways. International warranty is actually quite complicated here with a lot of companies and retailers not supporting warranties for products not bought from them, specifically. This article would shed some light on that one:

https://www.yugatech.com/toys-gadge...9b4c34ee47ed6eb5a8e8156cc1252#comment-1899824

It is BS.. but that is how the Philippines rolls...

All in all, I am quite satisfied with DELL premium support, but of course, your results may vary. I could buy a laptop in the US with a much more powerful specs at a much lower price than what I could and would ever get here in my own country cause the local resellers charge such high premiums since these are.. "luxuries" here...