*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. eadgar

eadgar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It feels like they made announcement to fight the competition from the likes of Lenovo. I was seriously interested in the Legion 7, but now I'd like to see how X17 performs before I decide.

Reciever and Rei Fukai like this.
  2. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lol they are marketing quad fan technology like if this laptop was the first to ever use it.
    I wonder if they will keep the 150+15W 3080 or not...

Did Dell finally implement LCD overdrive control in their software like Acer, Asus, MSI and Lenovo or Dell is still 1 step behind it's competition ?

I do wonder if the X will have a normal price or Dell keep continue being the Apple of laptops and overprice it...the m17 r4 had a ridiculous high price compared to other laptops on most markets and normal price was only available for some privileged markets, like the US market.

Terreos and Rei Fukai like this.
  3. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm still looking at lenovo with that sweet vapor chamber based heatsink. It uses the whole laptop base as opposed to AW which transfers the heat to pipes which can form a bottleneck and extra heat. Vapor chamber with some LM you've got yourself a genuine beast.

DreDre and c69k like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    raz8020, etern4l and Rei Fukai like this.
  5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt 4 really should’ve been called thunderbolt 3.5. It doesn’t really offer any noticeable bump in performance. Seems to be better on the 1% lows so you would get more consistent fps from what I’ve seen. I was kinda hoping they were gonna make a new and improved AGA when the old one was discontinued.

cheddle and chewbakaats58 like this.
  6. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Rei Fukai and etern4l like this.
  7. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is the thing it's simple physics. Air needs volume and pressure to move heat in these tiny chassis it's hard to get volume and simply adding more fans doesn't create more pressure. Large fans create more pressure or faster rpm smaller fans create more pressure but if the rpm is too high the sound becomes really high pitch and unbearable. Same with the exhausts the smaller they are and the higher pressure through them and the sound profile of the cooling becomes a high pitched whine.

A thicker device is always more desirable from a cooling standpoint, it allows for more copper to hold more heat and bigger slower fans to dissipate the heat without the loud fan whine.

8. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From what I'm reading, TB4 should be better than the AGA. The AGA was limited to PCIe 3.0 speeds, which was 1 GB/s per lane. The Thunderbolt certification means that the PCIe connection speed to the TB controller must be at least 32 GB/s, or PCIe 4. That should, in theory, mean the TB4 connection on any laptop would be twice as fast as the AGA connection. That would put an eGPU connected through TB4 a comparative 8 lane PCIe 3 connection speed, which is what most laptops have with their onboard dGPU.

It should be an improvement, in theory, and potentially explain why Dell dropped the AGA port.

9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    The double amount fans is for the extended side heatsink. This was needed because of the very short main grills on the back. Double up with small fans can help reduce the overall noise. If they is designed to run at slower speed. Increased air pressure ain't always the goal.
    And the fake part of the heatsink grills doesn't help much on the cooling either. They stole the room for bigger rear grills fin stack to be able to fit in the power intake. Why not put the power intake on the backside? I don't know. No AGA port on the back should mean more than enough space on the back. Not all the small I/O ports had to be there. Yeah, weird engineering/design choices.
    FAKE X SERIES.png

It looks like Dell's thermal engineers have a special love for such type designs. Not the first time they used a useless piece of metal on on the rear heat sink grills. Funny thing I found on the 15R3 (2016) heatsink - glued on heatsink grills
    [​IMG]

And with such a thin design the battery will suffer. We will se a lot more of this... Alienware 15R3 - swollen battery, damaged body
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    raz8020, Rei Fukai, DreDre and 7 others like this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You may be right, although I guess we'll have to wait for independent reviews to see if it actually will. This being advertised as "thinnest" is always a worry when it comes to cooling. The extra fans might help, depending on how the airflow compared with the 2-fan setup. Why did they drop the vapour chamber again?

Anyway, this seems like the successor to the 51M, so bye bye socketed CPUs and modular GPUs?