*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. ekkolp

ekkolp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll keep an eye in the keyboard. My 'problem' is lately I'm using a external keyboard since I use the laptop as work device during the summer.
    Because Dell 'forces' us to get the premium warranty when we buy an Alienware, we should be fine about this issues, and they will fix any hardware problem.
    What toogle is that mate?

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, if you want to mess around with "Dell" technicians or system replacements, which would undo any repaste/repadding, and may or may not be beneficial then it's fine.

There is a slider in keyboard CP settings controlling repeat rate. I would have to set it some other value press apply, then back to the value I wanted. Tried to automate this using command line tools, nothing worked.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  3. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i think the 7i has the same TDP as the x17. The 3080 it has can run 165W, but how that's divided is different. I think the CPU only gets 45 watts and after that 55. But that's from the top of my head.

Darkhan and etern4l like this.
  4. ShibaJumbo

ShibaJumbo Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear current x17 r1 owners,

After thumbing through some of the x17 r1 gripes in the thread, is waiting for the imminent r2 or r3 the better option?

I bought an m15 r1, and sent it back due to malfunctioning battery, what a blessing, because the r1's were such trash in comparison to the later revisions.

I had actually bought the i9-4k 120hz x17r1, but sent it back because fedex decided to play frisbee with the package, and the laptop lid came bent and scuffed, so I did not have the opportunity to mess around with it longer than a day.

That screen is amazing, but maybe its worth it to wait?

5. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not a current X17 owner, but a long-time and current owner of other Alienware products. I believe for the amount of money you're willing to spend on a laptop at this level you'll get more bang for your buck elsewhere. The Asus G15/17 G713 (either the all AMD Advantage edition or Nvidia) costs around $1000 less, is similarly configured, and has equal or better performance. As far as dimensions, the G17 (the larger of the two) weighs nearly 2 lbs less. If you opt for the all AMD version, expect roughly 8-10 hour battery life with a CPU that is easily equal to the i9 X17.

While this is the Alienware corner of the forum, I can't help but point out that this is a missed opportunity for Dell. It might be an unpopular opinion for some, but I think you're better off either waiting for the next iteration or looking elsewhere.

6. etern4l

Reputations:
    I would rule out the G15/Zephyrus due to one RAM module being idiotically soldered, but then again it might be fine for someone who thinks m15 R1 is a bad machine :rolleyes:

7. Gumwars

Reputations:
    The G17/15 G713 is a different machine. No soldered RAM.

For reference.

raz8020, Darkhan and etern4l like this.
  8. etern4l

Reputations:
    OK, so basically G15/G17 Strix. Looks good, albeit all Ryzen which is awesome unless you need TB support, according to the chooser: https://rog.asus.com/laptops-group/

Darkhan and Gumwars like this.
  9. Gumwars

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, no TB, which I'm conflicted about. I recommended the G713 because it's probably going to be my next rig. I was, for a while, stuck on the idea that I need TB, but the more I think about it, that may have just been in my head. The eGPU route doesn't seem to be getting much love from the AMD side of the house and that's the only practical application I can think of for thunderbolt. I think with the money I'm saving going this route, I can get a widescreen monitor and skip the eGPU altogether.

10. etern4l

Reputations:
    Yeah, the eGPU support is the main seller of TB for me too, and TB4/11th gen confers a notable performance improvement in that department. Unfortunately, the ongoing scalping is still making the approach expensive. Furthermore, the available enclosures tend to be too small to take cards larger than 2-2.25x.

That said, would still like to have the option personally. Other applications include things like TB docking stations, high-speed drive enclosures, and 10G Ethernet adapters, but again most people won't really need those.

Starchies and Gumwars like this.