*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Jesus those are some god awful temps.

2. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    By looking at the service manual at least they seem to not have cheaped out on the fans: seems like all 4 are Sunon MagLev, which gives hope for a somewhat quiet operation despite the thin chassis or hopefully al least a bearable noise characteristic.

Unfortunately the MB is still upside down, so a repaste will be a pain in the ass. I don´t believe in the AW marketing regarding the high performance new gallium based thermal grease and think regarding the GPU temps @Papusan postet a repaste with a good traditional thermal grease or liquid metal would still give hope for better thermals.

What I really like about the X17 is the 330W power supply which you get with higher specced versions whereas the GE76 has only 280W. So in theory with a decent shunt mod one should be able to get the most out of the performance. The probability to blow this thing up by doing so would however be very high, but hey, no risk no fun.

What I would like to know is if this 4k 120Hz screen is directly wired to the GPU or is using Optimus. I fear the latter, because I guess the 4k screen is not really targeted at gamers. Also, AFAIK AW never had a MUX switch and the former m17 models which had 4k panels used optimus. So my expectations are low.

The design language is imho now somewhat a mixture between a 51M (which I liked very much) and the typical DELL design, which don´t quite fit together very well.

Regarding the specs, the X seems to be already outdated: Here comes the 3080 Super:

https://www.notebookcheck.com/Ein-g...t-Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-3080-Super.542990.0.html

https://videocardz.com/newz/lenovo-expects-geforce-rtx-3080-super-and-rtx-3070-super-laptop-gpus

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    etern4l, Vistar Shook and Rei Fukai like this.
  3. werdmonkey4321

Reputations:
    I already contacted the backend team at Alienware on Monday. The 4k panel version does NOT have Optimus. The display is connected directly to the discrete GPU. It also does NOT have a mux switch. I ended up cancelling my order as a result. If someone hears anything different let me know, but this is what they told me by email on Monday.

4. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They did the same thing for the 17 R5 with a 2K screen. It does come with GSYNC though, so that's nice but the fact that they still haven't implemented the hyrbid mux switch, proves they're actively cutting corners by removing stuff and giving it back later on a newer machine. That way they create incentive to buy a new machine.

etern4l and Vistar Shook like this.
  5. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    +2 Rep for this info! So as you canceled you really prefer optimus?? This info causes an itching in my finger to press the buy button. The slow normalisation of the pandemic gives me the opportunity to have a life beside my job again. However, our intensive care unit is still pretty full with younger COVID patients which are often fighting for their lives for several month, some make it and leave hospital (most with long term symptoms), but some don´t. Just the outlook to get a new notebook, shunt modding it, then after a while blowing it up because of the mod, would make me feel a little better again.

FXi, etern4l and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I'm sure the 3080 super will be the full 200w as they got smart with it now or it will be 185w with 15w boost. No change in anything else just power watch

etern4l and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    The creme of 3070Ti silicon. nvidia have binned chips for the desktop 3070 Ti models the last months and the better silicon will be used in the laptops. The desktop card is 290w and doesn't need to have the best silicon. But this doesn't necessarily mean wee will see 200W cards. Too many gaming-books haven't the needed cooling capacityanymore because of the never ending chassis shrinking.

8. DrewN

DrewN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    bretlyt, Normimb, etern4l and 2 others like this.
  9. werdmonkey4321

Reputations:
    Either Optimus or a Mux switch. I just need my laptop to also have good battery life because I carry it around often and use it for school and work. Most of the stuff I use my laptop for won't be affected by Optimus(e.g. machine learning and deep learning type of stuff). I also already have a desktop if I want to max out games.

Vistar Shook and bsch3r like this.
  10. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It wasn't much of a deep dive it was just marketing BS. The fan config and the thermal compound sound good to be fair but given a much bigger chassis it would just be a better solution.

They know where the money is and it's unfortunately the thin and light crowd. Where good enough has become the enemy of desktop level performance.

raz8020, Normimb, etern4l and 5 others like this.