*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    51M R1 had 4 SODIMMs, although not clear it actually supported quad channel, my guess: nope. Anyway, Dell decided to dumb this down to 2 slots in the R2.

@Papusan

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  2. DanteDrac

DanteDrac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I saw you mention there was space for a bigger heatspreader on the top of the SSD, but my concern is that there isn't enough room on the BOTTOM of the SSD as the double sided SSD's have chips on the bottom of the PCB. The Samsung 1TB/2TB SSDs are only single sided on the top.

etern4l likes this.
  3. JinTexas

JinTexas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Take this in consideration. Right now I have Samsung 980 pro's with 1.5mm height gel pad and heatsink on top with no issues. In the below pic I have all the way to the left a 2 mm heatsink next to the middle stock heatsink, and all the way to the right the stock SSD with approximately a 0.5 mm difference between them. So if you know the height of your M.2 SSD you can use that for reference. My Samsung's are approximately 1.2 mm in height plus the 1.5 mm on top.

IMG_1029.jpg IMG_1030.jpg IMG_1031.jpg

c69k likes this.
  4. JinTexas

Reputations:
    What you need to consider is the space under the connection. The Samsung SSD has a thin approximately 0.3 mm heatsink underneath it which the stock drives do not. As long as your drive's microchips are no thicker then that you should be ok. These are approximations but I'm fairly good at judging distance since I made a career out of jumping from aircraft from very low heights. Combat jumps are 500 feet.

c69k and DanteDrac like this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Would be amazed if it worked. I bought the slimest SSD heatsink for my m15 I could find (3mm height) and it would still make contact with the chassis, and apply pressure on the PCB. Ended up just sticking with the pads, 970 Evo plus temps are fine.

Papusan and DanteDrac like this.
  6. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wtf has jumping from a plane "guessing" 100's of feet approximation got to do with measurements in the millimetres?

Genuinely not trying to cause an argument but it's like saying "I cooked toast once so I could probably whip up a soufflé".

7. JinTexas

Reputations:
    Samsung has lazy salespeople because the specs they have for the 960 evo are identical to the 980 pro in terms of size. They say the drives are both 2.38mm in height however look at the pic of my 960 evo next to a reference 2 mm heatsink.

IMG_1033.jpg 3.JPG 1.JPG

etern4l likes this.
  8. DanteDrac

DanteDrac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This should illustrate my situation/question the best. As you can see in the picture, the double sided SSD PCB sits at a different level than the single sided one. The extra width of the chips is basically the thickness of another PCB stacked on top.

Like etern4l mentioned, the concern is the PCB bending or not fitting at all to the bottom chips.

I hate that manufacturers like to obscure this information from the consumer and appreciate all you guys help!

http://imgur.com/a/pRyr65i

c69k, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  9. JinTexas

Reputations:
    Always a critic. If you prefer I was also a medic who had to measure and draw up exact dosages for things like IV fluids and medications which were sometimes measured in micrograms as opposed to milligrams such as fentanyl. So how that applies to the given situation is that I had to do that in the field while eyeballing it as opposed to someone who worked in a hospital which I never have. And unlike morphine fentanyl did not always come in autoinjectors.

10. JinTexas

Reputations:
    When I pulled out the stock SSD I barely gave it a chance to notice the space underneath it, but on second consideration I did notice a bit of space under the connector. If had to bet after looking at your pic then my bet would be yes. Yes as in being able to fit. Taken from the service manual

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    c69k and DanteDrac like this.