*OFFICIAL* Alienware X Series Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by HaloGod2012, May 11, 2021.

1. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Here is the new X series of laptops. It looks like the new design comes in a 15 and 17 inch for now. Intel 11th gen CPU, RTX 3000 series GPUs, removeable RAM and WiFi chips are back, new screen options. Availability in June or July. New quad fan cooling system, thinner, 11th gen intel, and new thermal material. They moved all the ports to the back. Is this why they ditched the 51m R3? Are we seeing the final nail in the coffin for big DTRs? Can't wait to see a review and teardown of this X 17.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  2. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is this evidence that the industry has been listening? TigerLake appears to give users near Throttlestop levels of control over the CPU package, down to per-core voltage tuning. Dell offers a laptop with quad-fan cooling, with what appears to be an emphasis on keeping the thermal envelope controlled. TB4 as a viable replacement for the AGA? Is this the BGA unicorn we've been waiting for?

Kalen likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And why you think Dell finally will make a proper firmware and provide it with fully funtional Advanced option in bios? Or you think they will give you all needed tweak options in their software package? From Intel engineer. In short... Up the the OEM unlock or lock everything down in own bios.
    [​IMG]

What Gamers Want: Thin, Light, and Powerful Laptops
    That’s an impressive doubling of performance, although it took place in Intel’s labs, so it’s not an independently run performance test. And many gamers don’t care about the demands of a 4K screen and are more interested in thinner, lighter laptops that can offer a silky-smooth 1080p gaming experience.

Intel Tips New 11th Gen 'Tiger Lake-H' CPUs for Thin, Powerful Gaming and Creative Laptops pcmag.com
    Sone game over for the laptops nick-named DTR.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  4. bca009

bca009 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what specs

5. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My hope is that Dell has been paying attention to what users have been saying, at least to some degree. TigerLake seems poised to be a competitor to Zen 3 (it will likely lag behind Zen 4) and seems to reflect that Intel, at least, has been paying attention. If Dell does the same, even in part, then I'd consider it a win. Yes, BGA is a baked-in obsolescence approach to technology but it does serve a purpose if what you put into it is powerful enough to last several iterative cycles. Ampere, TigerLake, Zen 3/4, and RDNA2 all fit those descriptions. TB4 opens the door for a more powerful eGPU solution, which might explain why Dell stopped supporting the AGA. If the X17 capitalizes on the full feature set of TigerLake with a thermal solution that finally addresses the long-standing problems with Intel's hot AF CPUs, this could be a laptop worth investing in.

Obviously, I'm not jumping in with both feet. I need to see final specs, reviews, price, etc, before making a purchase decision.

6. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Was looking to pull the trigger on a m17 r4 3080, but x17 has my attention right now . . . wondering if it will be worth the wait.

7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    It will have better cooling so that alone makes it worthwhile IMHO.

8. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Definitely wait. Intel 11th gen alone is worth it.

XxAcidSnowxX likes this.
  9. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    how is thunderbolt 4 going to compare performance wise to the AGA? Doesn't AGA utilize the lanes more directly or something? It's a shame they are ending AGA.

etern4l likes this.
  10. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Personally, I am very excited for these upcoming X-Series laptops, especially the X17. Planning on replacing my M17 R1 soon, and this could be the one I have been waiting for.