*Official* Alienware Official Windows 8 support thread [Questions and Discussions Here]

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Alienware-Pablo_R, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Thanks, Sandy. I downloaded and installed it without a hitch.

2. The Sand

The Sand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glad to know it's going well for somebody ; )

I finally called Alienware to ask what happened since he never called me back. They told me it has been escalated to an Engineer and someone should call me in the next few days.

Again, I will post back if they can get the Bluetooth working, and if so how, and if they will "release" the download that I obviously don't have to make it run.

Sandy

3. Dazstar

Dazstar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys

Ive had to post this because after hours of trying different suggestions from the forum i have no idea how to fix this problem.

My new m18x was delivered today and i cannot for the life of me get it to switch from the intel graphics to the crossfire amds

Ive tried installing all the drivers again from the website i have flashed the bios from a09 to a10 i have pressed the fn + f7. What else have i done erm i have removed the osd drivers

im just getting lost and frustrated now. When i flashed the bios the fans kicked in. I would really appreciate any suggestions you guys could make as ive been working on this for hours and its driving me insane.

It had windows 8 pro installed out of the box

Thanks in advance

4. Dazstar

Reputations:
    Update after about 10 hours I've finally sorted it. Turned out it was the bios. Took me ages to sort it but after reading a few more threads I finally did

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    What was it in the BIOS? What did you do to correct the problem? Please elaborate in case someone else has the same trouble.

6. Dazstar

Reputations:
    Sorry, I had to load the legacy roms while booting. I also had to turn off secure boot. It appeared to be an issue with the fast boot of uefi

7. DDDenniZZZ

DDDenniZZZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you disable the intel GPU? The HD7970m need a vBIOS update to work with secure/fast boot from what I know. I just leave optimus (i have nvidia card) on, I dont have issues with it.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    There is a new vBIOS already available for secure/fast boot. On an M18x there is no such thing as Optimus or Enduro. Those technologies do not work with CF and SLI, but the manual graphics switching the M18x implements is far superior, without any potential for malfunction that sometimes occurs with Optimus and Enduro systems. It would be nice if Alienware would move away from Optimus and Enduro completely and go to a manual switching like the M18x on all of their laptops. I think that would resolve a ton of issues with the other models. (Some owners would whine and moan about having to reboot to change video adapters, but the true performance enthusiasts and computer gear-heads would be extremely pleased with the improvement.)

9. Dazstar

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advise. I will look into this further. Got a fresh hard drive coming soon and ram to upgrade so want to get the best out of my machine

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    For those like me that feel it is nothing but a major inconvenience that adds no value, disable Driver Signature Enforcement (DSE) in Windows 8 with these steps:

1. Open the Windows command prompt using "Run as Administrator".
    2. Run "bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" (without quotes).
    3. To complete the process run "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON" (without quotes).
    4. Reboot and enjoy the "Test Mode" watermark in the lower right corner of your desktop.

To get rid of the watermark, download and run this utility.

To turn it back on again, the commands are:

• "bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" (without quotes)
    • "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF" (without quotes)

Disclaimer: I do not know if this works with UEFI Secure Boot and Fast Boot turned on in the BIOS. You may need to use Legacy Boot after running these commands. If someone would like to test and see, please post your findings if it does work.

DSE-disable.JPG

To disable before installing new drivers to avoid issues, follow the process outlined in this video.

<iframe width='853' height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NM1MN8QZhnk?rel=0" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.